The Disability Discrimination Act (DDA)

bikerbaby86

Does anyone know if Diabetes is covered under this? My work are saying that they will be giving me a warning possibly the sack when i get back to work because i have had to many days off this year ( i have had a few occasions off with asthma) As far as i was aware it was covered but now im worried its not?

Help

Smarner

Hi
I was working for a large DIY chain when diagnosed. My manager was giving me stick for having several day off work, even though I had gone 3 years without a day off. I raised this with HR and was told as I was on tablets I was covered by the dda. I was then reimbursed the monthly store bonus which had been withheld due to days off sick. Check with your HR.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
This Topic has been moved to the Employment Forum where there are other posts about the same thing.........have a read around in here.

bikerbaby86

My Hr dept is useless and the woman who deals with sickness hates me, not a clue why but shes no help, iv spoken to diabetes uk and they told me that they cant sack me just because of the diagnoses but they can if i have to much time off because of it and also they dont have to pay me whilst iv been off sick which is rubbish.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Despite DDA all Employers really have to do is to comply with being 'fair' to their terms and conditions of their Emplyment contracts....i.e have they followed their sickness protocols with you.
It is illegal to give a person the sack for sickness if they have not followed legal guidelines such as doing return to work forms and giving counselling and warnings prior to the sack.

Sickness with an employee has to be managed, as unfortunately some people (not diabetics especially or anybody in particular) do take the mickey with absenteeism of any sort, and providing you Company has clear guidelines on their Employment Contract, despite the DDA you can be managed out of a job.

Diabetes is not an actual disability, but it is a manageable chronic illness. There are certain jobs like pilots and emergency services that will not take diabetics on medication and this is legal, but as far as I am aware from my dealings in longterm management of distrubtion centres and overseeing HR departments that technically speakking diabetics are not listed as coming under ticking the 'Are you disabled box' as unless you nead special hearing aids or special arrangements to be made regarding mobility then you are not technically disabled.

This is also highlighted in forms such as the disability living allowance-ie diabetes isn't reason enough to be given it.

If you are having excessive time off due to sickness or any type of absenteeism then providing your Company have a clear statement in their Employment Contract of how they deal with sickness, and providing they deal with you fairly and have made adaptations to workplaces if needed and lunchtimes for food and places to inject etc....then they are entitled to sack people with diabetes.

Graham1441

Dislikes
Stupid people.
I have been with my employer for five years when i was told i have T2 and was told
"When you come to work leave all your problems including medical ones AT HOME".
So I can only have diabetes when NOT at work.

Graham1441 :twisted: :twisted: