Type 2, need some advice

Orlando00

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was diagnosed 3 years ago and made a really good recovery and bloods was brilliant.

Had a mental breakdown at university and depression got to me and the pills I am on make me eat everything in sight, I did bad sweets and crisps and am ashamed of it.

I'e went for my diabetic bloods and they are detereating diabetic control I'm told, I got 71 which is 11.0 to 13.

no matter what I do it' always 11.0, now what can I do to help myself. Past month I got ober depression and don' t eat that stuff no more.

I'm currently on diet and exercise but past month or 2 I haven't left the house and I'm so scared I'm put on insulin, I don' like needles and I just want advice please.

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi

I rely on a buddy to help me get out the house and walking every day. Have you got a friend or family member who would help motivate you? There are so many benefits of exercise - helping with BG, mood, weight etc.

You need to get back on track with diet too. Are you low carbing? Do you record what you eat and test before and after the main meal of the day? It needs to be structured testing so that you can make changes; random testing will just get you down and not help with control.

You will get a lot of support and ideas on here - there are so many great people who are willing to offer advice on diet etc.

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello Orlando00, Just want to send you a big hug and let you know that there is hope...... Speaking from experience, I need to just take one day at a time, celebrate every time I choose not to eat something that I know isn't the healthiest for me, look for something to be grateful in my day....... It is an uphill battle somedays, but our journey to wellness begins with one tentative step and then another..... There are so many great threads on here that should give you some ideas of what you could do to see some victories - we all need them.

Perhaps a request for another medication is in order? Please don't feel ashamed for eating stuff that you feel "driven" to eat because of the meds - that just starts a vicious cycle and you don't need to add "shame" to all that you are going through right now.

Feel free to come here and ask questions, vent, name your fears - needles, etc. and hopefully seeing it in black and white will give you some relief and some clarity......

Rooting for you! Blessings/L

Reactions: Grateful

caroline_92

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think a lot of people have wobbly patches with diabetes. You have been in control of it before, so remember this and take one day at a time to get back on track. A lot of small steps can add up to big changes, if you give yourself time.
What kind of things are you eating? And agree completely with a routine of blood testing to figure out what works for you.
And walking everyday, even 20 mins round the block, is so beneficial. I often think I can't be bothered or am just too comfortable inside, but always feel better when I get out.
I really hope you can turn a corner with help from the forum.

bluecurlylegend

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Films with Nicholas Cage !
Orlando00, Don't feel ashamed, you've done nothing wrong. Wrong was done to you ! From what I've learned through this forum, the worst thing that happened was the vilifying of natural fats and the brainwashing of the public to eat more and more carbohydrates.....you know, the healthy ones. Aye, sure ! You've been addicted, plain and simple.
But take heart, it really is an easy addiction to break for most people. Check out the low carb and keto sections of this forum, read up on what lots and lots of people have done to pull back from T2, and if they can do it, so can you.
You've taken the first and best step by coming here.

Best of luck.

Metabolism_Boss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality TV shows. Celebrities that are famous for being famous
So sorry to hear you are having a bad time. I too eat things that are not good for me when I am stressed. I'll snarf something down at night and wake up the next morning, wondering how I could have been so stupid. It's no good beating yourself up. At bad times I find I get encouragement from books such as Diabetes 101by Jenny Ruhl or anything by Dr Bernstein. They don't make me feel guilty, they are affirmations of why it is worth finding the discipline to look after my diabetes. It does take time to see blood improvements, so don't panic about high BG. Just keep eating the right things and try not to get stressed by it, as that will bump up your BG.

I hope you feel better soon.

Reactions: caroline_92

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe make a list of all the foods which are usually safe for a type two to eat, then you could get it delivered - or try to go out to buy what you could use for several days meals. Maybe try things which make meals feel special - make three flavours of sugar free jelly, buy some really good steak and large mushrooms and make yourself some 'burgers' - if you usually use instant coffee buy some ground, and then drink it with cream.
I am a totally different person from the one diagnosed a year ago. I go out to all sorts of events - I am just back from dance practice at the moment and looking forward to the folk club on Sunday - I have far more energy these days, and far more resilience when things go wrong.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I have had wobbles in the past and still get times where I think sod it
I have bipolar and one of the drugs I take for it makes me hungry, so it's a constant battle

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I would suggest, have an odd treat, I have one a week where I have a fun size mars bar