Testing

popps

Hi all,

I was diagnosed on May 30th, with two BS fasting readings of 7.1 and 7.2. Since then I have received only a 15 minute talk with the practice nurse, no hand-outs, only a referral to DESMOND, of which I've heard nothing yet. In the meantime, I've bean educating myself through postings on this forum and I've also read Diabetes for Dummies and am currently reading Diabetes 2: The First Year.

The practice nurse has told me to come back in six months for a HA1bc test and change my diet and adopt an exercise regime. Since then I've been cutting down the carbs, as advocated by many on this forum, and I've joined a gymn. However, I feel a bit frustrated by the lack of response from the NHS. I know, my diagnostic readings are low - the trigger not so many tears ago was 7.8 (now 7), which would have made me "pre-diabetic" - but I expected some advice into preventing my condition getting worse. Surely that's the whole point in lowering the diagnostic benchnark - to get early preventive advice.

Since talking to the practice nurse, I thought OK, lifestyle change - diet and exercise, give it six months and wait till the blood test. However, Gretchen Becker, in her book, recommends testing from the outset. Should I be doing this, given my just over-the border line diagnosis. If so. can anyone recommend a meter I should buy. I'm assuming, from the lack of help so far, that you can't get these on NHS prescription.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Theoretically you should get a meter from the doctor/nurse but obviously you didn't! You can buy meters quite cheaply,it's the test strips that cost the money.
The NICE latest guidelines state that type 2's should be helped to maintain and control their diabetes therefore you could go back and ask for a meter from doctor/nurse.You are probably in the best place for help and advice right here,especially as your Health team seem unhelpful!

dillydog

I too have the same problem as yourself. In the end I bought a meter, I decided on the Freestyle Mini, as it was the only one in the Pharmacy that had strips which were actually in date, the others were well past the sell by date. However, I have been very pleased with the meter and Abbott in general are extremely helpful, supplying free batteries and replacement meters if necessary.

I cannot cope with the stress of seeing my GP about strips only to be told "no you can't have them, " so therefore I decided to purchase them from the internet. I can buy 50 from different sellers on E Bay for around £8 to £12, which is a lot cheaper than from a Pharmacy. My GP isn't at all interested in diabetes, seen the nurse once since Jan 08 and never seen the GP since diagnosis. Not due to see anyone or have any tests till next Jan.

I find this forum invaluable for information. You have my sympathy, but if you are willing to have a confrontation with your GP each time you need strips, then good luck, I have given in I am afraid to say.

Testing 2 hours after different foods has been my best way of learning about the effects food has, you will probably be quite surprised at the results if you go down this road.
Best wishes.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
My GP just recently finished a course on diabetes, which I think taught him a load of out of date stuff and now I think I'm educating him properly. Luckily he's a sweetheart, "proper old fashioned" family doctor. I've been with him 30 years. He's slowly coming round to see that low carb works and when I 3end him copis of good stuff I find, he seems pleased. But he still tells me that the PCT restricts the strips. and told me I'm "worried Well " this is while the government ids touting diabetes as " The Wages of the sin of being overweight" and something to scare people with. I however am "Well ". Of course, because I understand how to control this condition. If I don't keep scrounging more strips, will I still be "Well"?