Need a help soo badly..

Sweet_you_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hii im 29 female and type 1 diabetic from last 15yrs...i used to have very high hba1c like im very ashamed to say its always in between 10-11. I used to be thin during tht time. Once i started to control my blood sugars from last 1yr i brought my hba1c to 7(proud to say) with taking insulin 4times a day i started gaining weight. I just gained 11kgs in the last 1yr. So i just started doing exercises and tht resulted with hypos... So im soo stressed with this gaining wt and not able to do anything to reduce my weight.. Plz suggest me what can i do. TIA. All ur suggestions are worth a try for me. THANK YOU

Reactions: himtoo

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am carrying extra weight unfortunately and this happened when I too started to get control of the diabetes.....

I however feel that BG control takes priority over my weight......

I have managed to lose some weight and that was done by cutting the carbs right down.....this in turn reduces the amount of insulin going in.....which means easier weight loss....

Its definitely not easy trying to balance it.......and I am not the best person to give advice on a fit and active lifestyle....but just remember that getting good control is also very important...

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hii im 29 female and type 1 diabetic from last 15yrs...i used to have very high hba1c like im very ashamed to say its always in between 10-11. I used to be thin during tht time. Once i started to control my blood sugars from last 1yr i brought my hba1c to 7(proud to say) with taking insulin 4times a day i started gaining weight. I just gained 11kgs in the last 1yr. So i just started doing exercises and tht resulted with hypos... So im soo stressed with this gaining wt and not able to do anything to reduce my weight.. Plz suggest me what can i do. TIA. All ur suggestions are worth a try for me. THANK YOU
Have you been, or would you consider, lowering your carb intake ?
The question aside of whether or not too many carbs are bad for you, it was known decades ago that starchy foods like bread and potatoes contributed towards weight gain, and, long before low-carbing raised it's head, women excluded these items to help with weight loss.
Just a thought. As @novorapidboi26 says, control is more important.
Geoff

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.

Hello Sweet, I know over time priorities can change and people can wish to have better control vs staying slim, as remaining healthy with type 1 becomes more of a priority. It sounds like you have been suffering from an eating disorder by not taking enough insulin in an effort to control your weight. It is possible to exercise and not have hypos, but requires some thought runsweet.com is a good site to learn more about different exercise and managing insulin. The forum also works with members of DWED a registered charity, I can move your post into their section for better visibility and to get more answers to your question, let me know happy to move :)

Sweet_you_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Have you been, or would you consider, lowering your carb intake ?
The question aside of whether or not too many carbs are bad for you, it was known decades ago that starchy foods like bread and potatoes contributed towards weight gain, and, long before low-carbing raised it's head, women excluded these items to help with weight loss.
Just a thought. As @novorapidboi26 says, control is more important.
Geoff
Yea i agree.. Control is more imp than wait gain but the main reason for my weight control is that im trying to conceive and my gynaecologist suggested me to reduce my weight atleast by 10kgs as im 71kgs now.. So worried abt it.. Anyway thanks for the advice.. Grateful for it

Sweet_you_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello Sweet, I know over time priorities can change and people can wish to have better control vs staying slim, as remaining healthy with type 1 becomes more of a priority. It sounds like you have been suffering from an eating disorder by not taking enough insulin in an effort to control your weight. It is possible to exercise and not have hypos, but requires some thought runsweet.com is a good site to learn more about different exercise and managing insulin. The forum also works with members of DWED a registered charity, I can move your post into their section for better visibility and to get more answers to your question, let me know happy to move :)
Yea i agree.. Control is more imp than wait gain but the main reason for my weight control is that im trying to conceive and my gynaecologist suggested me to reduce my weight atleast by 10kgs as im 71kgs now.. So worried abt it.. Anyway thanks for the advice.. Plz move my post to the section which you suggested for greater visibility and more answers.. Thank you and Grateful for it..

Reactions: himtoo

Sweet_you_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am carrying extra weight unfortunately and this happened when I too started to get control of the diabetes.....

I however feel that BG control takes priority over my weight......

I have managed to lose some weight and that was done by cutting the carbs right down.....this in turn reduces the amount of insulin going in.....which means easier weight loss....

Its definitely not easy trying to balance it.......and I am not the best person to give advice on a fit and active lifestyle....but just remember that getting good control is also very important...
I agree .. Thank you

M

Member34835

Hi. I feel for you and it is something that hapoens with better cintrol. Instead of damaging your eyes and kidneys etc or being p'd out the glucise is now being taken to your cells where if not used it gets cinverted to fat
So are you overweight? If not perhaps you can get your head around feeling healthy and let your body find its happy weight?.
As others have said if you are overweight cut back on the carbs but load up on fat plus sone protein so that you can reduce insulin and avoid those bg fkuctuations. I am a tyoe 1 PT and do this plus reduce insulin if doing a aerobic exercise. Test thiugh as it can go either way! Since you have already done the grown uo thing of getting better bgs you can work this conundrum out . Hugs! (+ glad you can ask for supprt here(

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Sweet_you_

To save yourself duplicating replies, simply reply using the general Reply box at the bottom of the page and tag in anyone you want your general reply to apply to as follows :
@librarising @Juicyj
To tag in simply put @ before their forum name
Geoff

Sweet_you_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@librarising...oh thank you dnt know tht so i replied tht way as im new to this. @Nicole thank you for ur suggestion i would try this as well.. But i feel a bit difficult in managing my hypos with exercises but il definitely give a try by cuting my carbs

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@librarising...oh thank you dnt know tht so i replied tht way as im new to this. @Nicole thank you for ur suggestion i would try this as well.. But i feel a bit difficult in managing my hypos with exercises but il definitely give a try by cuting my carbs
Just be sure to test and test as cutting carbs can greatly reduce your insulin doses. And have some hypo foods ready available. I am vlc and it works wonders for me but my insulin doses reduced over 50%. Just MY experience.
Exercise is beyond me haha. Too many variables and I’m not up for the challenge yet but good luck! It’s good for you if you can work it out.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Firstly as other people are saying “high carbs” plus “high insulin“ results in weight gain. As you need the insulin for good BG control, that just leaves the carbs….

Also talk to your gynaecologist and/or GP about going on Metformin, as it may reduce your insulin resistance and hence help with losing weight while you still control your BG.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
vlc = "very low carb", sometimes also called "keto diet" or "ketogenic diet". This video gives an introduction.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Kristin 251 what is vlc i dnt know abt it.. Can u plz tell me abt tht
Yes very low carb. For me 20 or less per day but that is my choice and where I feel best. All my carbs come from avocado, green veggies and some nuts. The rest is moderate amounts of protein and a higher percentage of fat.
5%c, 15-17% p and 75-80% fat. However the big majority of my fats are Mediterranean such as an entire large avocado split between all meals, olive oil, mayo, olives and nuts. I keep saturated fats on the low end as they make me insulin resistant
If you think about my macros, take some salad greens, drizzle with olive oil, add some chopped avocado and some chicken, tuna, egg, salmon whatever. That’s my macros. Then a few nuts or olives as snacks. Pretty healthy.
This allows me to maintain my weight ( I don’t want to lose weight. I’m 55 kg at 5’8) and it allows me to take much smaller doses of insulin. I tend to follow the Bernstein diet and laws of small numbers. This was the only way I could find to marry the timing of my food and insulin. It’s certainly not for everyone. I’m very ketogenic.

Congrats on such great success with your A1C!! I do agree with others, if I ate more carbs and took more insulin I would gain weight quickly but we are all different and this is just my personal experience.

I don’t digest starches and sugars at all. I would be in a perpetual state of bloat, cramp and exhaustion. So vlc is no problem for me. I have been KETO long before DX

As a type 1 you can choose your own carb level that you feel comfortable with and can maintain good bg. Mine just happens to be 20.

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;

Personally, I don't think that weight gain esp. with insulin (I take glyclazide and metformin) is as important a factor as risking a hypo with less food. Perhaps exercise is a good thing. Take care.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Kristin 251..thank you for such a neat description. I will try to hav vlc and reduce my insulin dose according too.. Thank you soo much
You’re welcome! Since you’re new, you don’t know I’m the avocado queen around here. Simply because it is the best natural fat ever and it keeps my bg rock steady and I’m never hungry which is why I eat some with every meal. Without it I can still dip or rise a bit.

Depending on how low carb you go you might have to bolus for half your protein as if it were carbs. In the ABSENCE of carbs we can gluconeogenisis pretty quickly. Gluconeogenisis is the process of turning protein into bg.

Again, WE ARE DIFFERENT, but as an example, at DX I was eating 20 carbs per meal and taking 5 units, now I take 1/2-1. I was also taking 5 lantus and now 1-2. So quite a difference. Error on the side of caution. Better to be a little high than low as you’re figuring it out

Sweet_you_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@Erin even im not knowing the reason for my wt gain as told by my doctor as insulin is a hormone it is d reason for wt gain and the shorter acting insulins hav more wt gain thn the longer acting one..

Reactions: jon1980