Anyone use the one touch ultra or GlucoRxNexus meter?

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I get strips on prescription due to being on a Sulfonylurea medication and have been using the one touch ultra for years, however the pharmacy were unable to fill my latest prescription and told me that the one touch ultra strips are no longer available and the model has been discontinued - If you have a one touch ultra its probably time to think of changing
I toddled off to the GP surgery and they have now given me the GlucoRx Nexus meter and strips - anyone got any experience with it? Is it generally accurate?. I tried to tell the diabetic nurse that the Tee2 seems a good option cost wise ( having first checked with the pharmacist that they are on their approved list) but that fell on deaf ears

Last edited:

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I use One Touch Ultra 2. Is that what you're talking about?

D

Deleted Account

Is it generally accurate?
All meter must be "generally accurate". There is a standard to which they must all comply to sell them in the UK.
So, you should not have any accuracy problems.
I find the best meter is a personal thing - some people like them big, some people like them small, some people like tubs of test strips, some people like cartridges, some people like individual wrapped strips.

The lancers are inter-changeable - if you liked your One Touch Finger Pricker, there is no reason not to use it with the Nexus: all the meters care is whether they have enough blood not how you got it.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I have a GlucoRx Nexus it's a reasonably accurate machine in fact not a bad meter at all in my view though I have other meters I prefer for various reasons.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
They may have been discontinued in your area due to cost, most CCGs only approve a limited range of meters. Hence you can get issues if you try to use your prescription in a different town.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
They may have been discontinued in your area due to cost, most CCGs only approve a limited range of meters. Hence you can get issues if you try to use your prescription in a different town.
No it looks like more general issue related to the fact that the meter and strips are now out of patent and my cynical side says no longer such a cash cow for the manafacturers who have been pushing people using the ultra to change to another ( newer and still in patent) meter from their range for a while - I got quite sick of the number of e mails from Lifescan or their agents “inviting” me to upgrade for free

Last edited:

AlbertoLaidlaw

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
GlucoRx Nexus is a good product works well I have been using one for 2 years

deniski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
image.jpg I have been using the One touch ultra for a long time and it is my prefered meter as it reflects how I feel blood sugar wise.
I also have been informed that the strips will no longer be available and it is p*****g me off.
I have been trying replacements and none of them are satisfactory to my needs. In the above pic with the same blood drop at the same time, the One touch Vario measured 13.4 ( which would make me take insulin), the Ultra measured 10.8 and the Abbot Neo measured 8.9.
What is one to make of this disparity ?
Also why are we diabetics never asked about how WE would like our testing kits to be shaped, configured and packaged ?
I work as a mountain professional and need a shallow, wide tester ( for good balance on a knee or backpack), an effortlesss finger pricker and the most compact strip holder possible in a bag that is supple and small. Over the years I have found a mix of components that work well; now the main part is going to disappear and I cannot find a suitable replacement.
( The only one that works shape wise is the Abbott Neo but each test strip is encased in aluminium foil in packs that do not fit into their own meter bag. Can you imagine the **** flying over the mountains on a stormy day with bits of foil being blown away ? I can, so I won't use it )
Bloody useless.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
@deniski How about the Accu-Check mobile no test strips finger pricker great in a handy case that can attach to belt or would that not be of any use for you. .

Reactions: ringi

Gannet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Showbiz
I get strips on prescription due to being on a Sulfonylurea medication and have been using the one touch ultra for years, however the pharmacy were unable to fill my latest prescription and told me that the one touch ultra strips are no longer available and the model has been discontinued - If you have a one touch ultra its probably time to think of changing
I toddled off to the GP surgery and they have now given me the GlucoRx Nexus meter and strips - anyone got any experience with it? Is it generally accurate?. I tried to tell the diabetic nurse that the Tee2 seems a good option cost wise ( having first checked with the pharmacist that they are on their approved list) but that fell on deaf ears

I was given a GlucoRx Nexus by the practise nurse, though I have to buy my own strips. I do like it and although I also have the more economical Tee2 I tend to stick with the Nexus - less fiddly to use. The Tee2 pricker takes the same lancets though, so will be a useful stand-by.

lowedb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm also using the Glucose Rx Nexus and have no problems with it. I was given it by the practice because I was prescribed Gliclazide, and I'm kind of surprised they are still letting me have strips even though I stopped Gliclazide some time ago because my results were so good. That said, its the fact I have the meter that allowed me to understand things and get my numbers so good in the first place. I also have an accucheck mobile that I pay for myself but the test cartridges are very expensive (but better if Boots have an offer). Now I don't have to test every time I drive, I tend not to use it much and the cartridges expire!

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well I decided have a little experiment and to use some of the few One touch strips I had left, the Tee 2 (which Ive been using for a while for some more intensive specific pre- post meal testing ) and the GlucoRx to see how they compare when testing from the same blood draw and got these results over a v small sample of comparisons
1) No test on one touch, identical readings (5.6) from Tee 2 and GlucoRx
2) Readings from One touch and GlucoRx within 0.5 mmol of each other (7.3-7.8) Readings from Tee2 2mmol lower
3) Readings from Glucorx and Tee2 within 0.2 mmol of each other (5.6-5.8) reading from One touch 2mmol higher
A slightly worrying lack of consistency / pattern of inconsistency but overall Im happy to stick with the GlucoRx with Tee2 as back up as they had good consistency 2/3 times