What are some easy techniques to control BG level?

Jibran_Khan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
It's been 1 year I have been diagnosed to type 1 diabetes.my BG level kinda fluctuate.
What are some easy techniques I can do to control it.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's been 1 year I have been diagnosed to type 1 diabetes.my BG level kinda fluctuate.

I am not T1 so cannot help you personally, however if you take a look at the TypeOnegrit group on facebook they illustrate how to normalise blood sugars as a type 1 through diet.

good luck !

Reactions: Jibran_Khan

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Can you tell us more about your insulin regime, whether you carb count and what your typical diet is? Do you have a lower carb diet?

miszu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Im assuming u were taught carb counting and such. (if im wrong then first step looking that up will help big time!), and wouldnt say this next one is the easiest as many people cant find the time or lazy, but some exercise can help with ur BG too. What do u do to maintain a good BG right now?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Go and have a look at this to learn more about managing your diabetes: http://www.bertieonline.org.uk

If you are comfortable with carb counting and adjusting your insulin dose, then you may want to consider reducing your carbohydrate content of of what you eat, as this can make life easier.

Jibran_Khan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi. Can you tell us more about your insulin regime, whether you carb count and what your typical diet is? Do you have a lower carb diet?
I am from India,hence I eat roti(kind of bread)My doctor told me to take 11 unit of insulin per meal as I eat 5 roti with veggies.
My insulin dose are fixed .
11 unit per breakfast, lunch and dinner
And 15 unit of insulin when I go to sleep at night as it control my BG level when I am sleeping.

Jibran_Khan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Im assuming u were taught carb counting and such. (if im wrong then first step looking that up will help big time!), and wouldnt say this next one is the easiest as many people cant find the time or lazy, but some exercise can help with ur BG too. What do u do to maintain a good BG right now?
I exercise and do yoga every morning.
I don't consume fast food and beverages.

D

Deleted Account

Is there any pattern to your BG fluctuation?
For example, is it usually high in the morning, or low after yoga?

There are a lot of things which affect our BG levels such as exercise, diet, time of day and stress.
When trying to stabilise our BG, we need to analyse our BG in relation to these things.

Reactions: miszu

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am from India,hence I eat roti(kind of bread)My doctor told me to take 11 unit of insulin per meal as I eat 5 roti with veggies.
And 15 unit of insulin when I go to sleep at night as it control my BG level when I am sleeping.

It sounds like your on a multiple daily injection regime consisting of a slow and quick acting insulin...

which means that you shouldn't actually be on a fixed dose.....its not being used properly....but thats certainly not an uncommon occurrence even here in the UK......

have a look at the BERTIE link posted earlier.....that will help teach you all you need to know in the absence of that education where you live now....

Chandradev819

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Try to cut down the roti. You are taking so much carb. In each meal you can take 2 roti + 1 egg + 300 gm green salad + 150 grm green Veg.

Try to maintain the similar food habit in each day. In dinner you can include 150 gm chicken . Your bg will not fluctuate.
Since from 2 year i m managing my diabetic with very very low insulin with good hb1c. You learn more about diet.

Reactions: 9893973788

Try to cut down the roti. You are taking so much carb. In each meal you can take 2 roti + 1 egg + 300 gm green salad + 150 grm green Veg.

Try to maintain the similar food habit in each day. In dinner you can include 150 gm chicken . Your bg will not fluctuate.
Mr chandrdev
I am a new follower of lchf from the last 3-days,I am taking a green leaf juice with lemon,ginger and amla as first drink at 10:00 am than fresh vegetable salad with paneer(cheez)and Olive oil at 11:00, almonds-walnut/roasted chana at 4:30pm and two thin home made whole grain breads(roti) weighing less than 50 grams with plenty of cooked vegetables.Plz Guide me about the track.

Chandradev819

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am a new follower of lchf from the last 3-days,I am taking a green leaf juice with lemon,ginger and amla as first drink at 10:00 am than fresh vegetable salad with paneer(cheez)and Olive oil at 11:00, almonds-walnut/roasted chana at 4:30pm and two thin home made whole grain breads(roti) weighing less than 50 grams with plenty of cooked vegetables.Plz Guide me about the track.

I hope you might be getting good result. You are on right track. But i manage my diabetic with good diet +
exercise

After having breakfast i.e 9 AM i walk 1 hrs and after having lunch i.e 1 Pm i walk 10 to 20 min, @5 Pm i walk 1 hr
after having dinner i.e 9 Pm i do 40 min aerobic exercise.

If you want take this free medicine then just do experiment on your body. I hope it will give good result.

Reactions: 9893973788

I hope you might be getting good result. You are on right track. But i manage my diabetic with good diet +
exercise

After having breakfast i.e 9 AM i walk 1 hrs and after having lunch i.e 1 Pm i walk 10 to 20 min, @5 Pm i walk 1 hr
after having dinner i.e 9 Pm i do 40 min aerobic exercise.

If you want take this free medicine then just do experiment on your body. I hope it will give good result.
Ok, do you have some indian vegetarian diet solutions

Chandradev819

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok, do you have some indian vegetarian diet solutions

I m not not on very low carb diet. I also take 2 roti in each meals similar to you. Per day i eat 4 eggs + 200 gm Chicken + 300 green salad + 200 gm green Veg + 200 gm Pulse + 100 grm (Almond+walnut+Peanut) +200 gm Citrus fruit

If i donot do exercise then my insulin dose will require double.

You can design your diet plan on basis of your glucose-meter reading.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi again. As another poster has said, when you are on MDI it is best to carb-count i.e. vary the quantity of mealtime fast insulin to match the carbs in your meal. I think you need to understand how many carbs there are in your roti portion or any other carb foods and then vary the Bolus (fast) insulin to match. Many of us use a ratio of around 1 unit of insulin to every 10gm of carbs but you will need to be careful and use the meter a lot if changing the Bolus and/or the portion size in the meal to avoid a hypo. After a while you will find the ratio that works for you and controls the BS. You also need to check that your Basal (night-time) is right and there are ways to check this. Also be aware that the higher the amount of carbs you eat the higher the BS swings will be.

Reactions: Chandradev819

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I won't comment on your food intake as many other people have commented on this already. But One thing that is very important is physical activity. For me it seems so much easier when I'm active. Because I've been living with Type 1 for so long - I've been fortunate enough to know a lot of people with diabetes over the years - based on my experience those people who had regular daily activities such as long distance walking, cycling, climbing - exercise good for ones cardio vascular system - seemed to have a much easier time with their condition than those who had a more sedentary life style.
My three favorite activities are long distance cycling, 5 km speed walks and wilderness canoe trips. So if you haven't already - try getting in to the habit of doing regular weekly physical activities that would benefit your cardio vascular system.

scotteric

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Fixed doses probably worked alright for you in the first year because you are in the "honeymoon period" of type 1, meaning that you still produce some of your own insulin. As your natural insulin production comes to an end, things will get much harder unless you get a good handle on how to dose based on the meal you are eating, what types of things spike your blood sugar (including stress/anxiety, exercise, waking up, etc.) and how to dose for them. Finger-prick testing really isn't enough, you should get a continuous glucose monitor if the technology is available/affordable for you. You may also have to change some of your strategies such as with using basal insulin. For example, if you are using Levemir or Lantus, many (including me) find one shot a day does not really last 24 hours and instead take 2 shots (morning and night).

Chandradev819

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I won't comment on your food intake as many other people have commented on this already. But One thing that is very important is physical activity. For me it seems so much easier when I'm active. Because I've been living with Type 1 for so long - I've been fortunate enough to know a lot of people with diabetes over the years - based on my experience those people who had regular daily activities such as long distance walking, cycling, climbing - exercise good for ones cardio vascular system - seemed to have a much easier time with their condition than those who had a more sedentary life style.
My three favorite activities are long distance cycling, 5 km speed walks and wilderness canoe trips. So if you haven't already - try getting in to the habit of doing regular weekly physical activities that would benefit your cardio vascular system.

Hi @fletchweb,
Could you please let us know since from starting how much hb1c are you maintaining ? what will be your hb1c ? are you on insulin pump ? Yearly how many time do u go for complete body check up or some there test to avoid complication ?

Jibran_Khan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank you Everyone.
I really got to learn alot from all your comments.
I consume 11 unit of HUMAN ACTRAPID per meal (breakfast,lunch,dinner)
I consume 15 unit of lantus solostar before going to bed at night.
Do you guys think I should increase or decrease by dosage.
(I am diabetic since 13 months)

Jibran_Khan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Is there any pattern to your BG fluctuation?
For example, is it usually high in the morning, or low after yoga?

There are a lot of things which affect our BG levels such as exercise, diet, time of day and stress.
When trying to stabilise our BG, we need to analyse our BG in relation to these things.
After lunch I always feel fatigue no matter how less I consume my food.
I am a computer engineering student so I am always on my Lappy.
So you can guess I don't walk enough after exercise in the morning.