HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
Diabetes is the cause of obesity or obesity is the cause of diabetes

If obesity is the cause of diabetes why does not the patient lose weight after that

Especially since there is no longer a benefit of glucose. On the contrary, diabetes is the cause of weight gain

Why some of us lose weight because of the loss of glucose ?

People with an increase in insulin are overweight

In fact I think that they have a shortage of insulin they lose their weight

just thinking

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Obesity and diabetes are statistically asssociated. The direction of the causation is controversial. And even if it were a causative factor, it couldn't be the "cause" all the time because at least 10 percent of Type 2 diabetics are neither obese nor overweight at diagnosis. Plus, many obese people (most, I believe) never develop diabetes.

There is some fairly intriguing evidence that visceral fat may help cause diabetes. But people can have visceral fat and not be overweight or obese.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, when a type 2 lowers carbs, insulin drops, weight drops too - many say without trying.

Reactions: HICHAM_T2

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Questions are always good, especially in forum like this one where we can try to educate each other. I personally see no "bad questions" in this forum. @hichamgsm, like me, is relatively new here and we have lots of questions!!! Internet research is part of the process of discovery, but asking questions is essential too!

When answering, most of us do our best. If that falls short, well, others will usually come along to correct or amplify.

Finally, note that this sub-forum is called: "Ask A Question."

(Edited by moderator, Pipp, to remove reference to deleted content.)

Last edited by a moderator:

wolfie53

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Questions are always good, especially in forum like this one where we can try to educate each other. I personally see no "bad questions" in this forum. @hichamgsm, like me, is relatively new here and we have lots of questions!!! Internet research is part of the process of discovery, but asking questions is essential too!

When answering, most of us do our best. If that falls short, well, others will usually come along to correct or amplify.

Finally, note that this sub-forum is called: "Ask A Question."

(Quote edited by moderator, Pipp, to remove reference to previously edited content.)

Here here

Last edited by a moderator:

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Extensive editing and deletion of posts necessary in thread.
Please will members be aware of the need for respect and in particular Be mindful of this rule..
7. Be mindful of Members’ varying levels of experience and knowledge when imparting your own views.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Pipp

Thanks for your help

In fact I do not know if you violated the rules of the forum
Hello @hichamgsm

I am sure your posts here and mine are fine.

I think member @Grateful gave a very good response to your question. I hope you also find the information useful in the forum thread I suggested.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
It is my understanding, and it's just my personal view, the high levels of insulin that typically are the first signs of type 2 long before increased BG cause weight gain. These high insulin levels also make it nearly impossible to lose weight without going very low carb because each time we eat carbs we increase insulin levels more. I think this is true for a large percentage of people with type 2 diabetes but not all. We never know what exactly is going on with someones metabolism and there are many other factors in play.

Hotpepper20000

It is my understanding, and it's just my personal view, the high levels of insulin that typically are the first signs of type 2 long before increased BG cause weight gain. These high insulin levels also make it nearly impossible to lose weight without going very low carb because each time we eat carbs we increase insulin levels more. I think this is true for a large percentage of people with type 2 diabetes but not all. We never know what exactly is going on with someones metabolism and there are many other factors in play.
I agree. Once I got my BG undercontrol I was able to lose weight.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
It really depends on the health of the person as a whole I think. For me personally I have had fluctuating weight over the years. I've been both fat and slim a few times. When I was diagnosed with diabetes I was also diagnosed with PCOS the same day. Of course PCOS is also a hormonal condition which causes weight gain (although I've met slim people with PCOS as well... so not everyone gets the weight issue). I also got told I had metabolic disorder and that's still written down as one of my diagnoses with my docs surgery. I don't even view that as a diagnosis myself... it's just saying I have a bunch of conditions which affects my metabolism. In my own family I'm not the only type 2 diabetic, but interestingly enough I'm the only type 2 diabetic that has had ongoing weight problems, the rest of them are slim and always have been. So type 2 for them wasn't caused by being obese. For me I was told PCOS triggered diabetes as it's one of the precursors... they said 50% of women with it will get diabetes. Apparently I had that disease undiagnosed for years. I'm thinking I probably had diabetes undiagnosed for a bit as well. So I don't think it's a clear cut correlation with obesity and diabetes.... as previous poster mentioned that not all obese people have diabetes either.

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
Thanks for all members

Apparently not every fat man has diabetes !

Not every diabetic patient is necessarily fat

Reactions: Mep