Freestyle Libre - worth every penny

KenBachelor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cheese
I find Libre results wander above and below my finger prick readings and very often by a lot more than 1.0mmol
I did question when to do the comparative test and their helpline told me to do a blood test, and then use the sensor 10 minutes after. That's what I do now once a day, but at difference times.

D

Diabeticliberty

I did question when to do the comparative test and their helpline told me to do a blood test, and then use the sensor 10 minutes after. That's what I do now once a day, but at difference times.

I see the comment regarding time lag between Libre and finger prick blood testing systems quoted a lot. By no means is my means of proving or disproving this theory in any way done in laboratory conditions but the fact of the matter is I have run my own series of tests at timed intervals going up in 5 minute increments and on the very odd occasion I did get comparable results. More often than not however the results from the two methods of testing never synced with each other. Neither did they show discrepancies with an equal margin of difference.

Jkoko56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Having self-funded for about 18months I'm finding the results sufficiently close to my blood test readings to be acceptable. Can I just ask while I'm here - when people talk about attaching the sensor 24 hours early to get closer results does that mean you insert but only activate 24 hours later or do you insert, activate and then get more accurate readings 24 hours later?
I've had one damaged one which was immediately replaced and have never had one come off. I usually put a piece of tubular bandage over it for the first 12 hours or so. Don't know if this really helps or just gives me piece of mind!

D

Diabeticliberty

Having self-funded for about 18months I'm finding the results sufficiently close to my blood test readings to be acceptable. Can I just ask while I'm here - when people talk about attaching the sensor 24 hours early to get closer results does that mean you insert but only activate 24 hours later or do you insert, activate and then get more accurate readings 24 hours later?
I've had one damaged one which was immediately replaced and have never had one come off. I usually put a piece of tubular bandage over it for the first 12 hours or so. Don't know if this really helps or just gives me piece of mind!

Some users attach the sensor but do not initialise, activate it for 24 hours. The suggestion seems to be that giving the damage to flesh caused by the applicator needle time to recover provides better results through the life of the sensor. There are still 14 days of life available from time of initialisation, activation call it what you will. I tried it once and found the sensor no more accurate than ones that I activate immediately after attaching to my arm.