Greetings from newly diagnosed T2

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just thought I'd introduce myself; I joined the forum a few weeks ago and have been browsing the threads for info.

I'm a UK based 58 y.o male who was diagnosed with T2 diabetes about 6 weeks ago after a routine annual check up (I'm on statins to control a familial problem with raised cholesterol, which used to be 8 but is now 5.2).

My blood pressure was fine, about 110/70, pulse ~70.

The last 'bloods' were about 18 months ago, and were presumably fine, but this time the fasting blood glucose was 7.6, and one a week later was 8.2! The average over 3 months was apparently 6.2 and the hba1c was 45, so not catastrophic, but enough to have my GP make a T2 diabetes diagnosis.

The retina scan and foot tests were both ok - no damage to eyes or feet so far.

And here I am!

I got a Tee2 and started taking readings about 4 weeks ago. The trend with me seems to be about 7-7.6 in the morning, falling to 5.2-5.8 in the evening. I'm not on any medication but I am now cutting down on carbs, thanks to the info I've picked up here. My weight was 85.6kg a month ago, and it's now 83.5. My BMI was 28 but I'm skeptical about it's verdict of 'overweight' as I am quite stocky and muscular and regularly go on 10-15 mile walks in the Peak District with the dogs.

I'll have another blood test in Dec or Jan, and I'd like to get the average below 6.2 and the hba1c less than 45.

Any advice from T2 veterans welcome.

I want to avoid having to medicate for as long as possible, live a normal life albeit one where I cut out the mid morning biscuits or regularly bingeing on carbs like fish n chips!

Regards.

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Paul and welcome. I was dx about 9 weeks ago so still a newbie myself, so I don't feel I'm in a position to offer any advice. I'm sure others will be along soon to offer advice and support.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Hi there and welcome to the forum. You are doing all the right things so far, lowering your carb intake and testing are possibly the most important ways of controlling bg. Well done. Ask as many questions as you like, no topic is excluded.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed Type 2 six months ago with an HbA1c of 70. Just to clarify, you say your GP has diagnosed you as Type 2 on an HbA1c of 45 but on your profile you state pre-Diabetes. As type 2 is usually diagnosed with a result of 48 or above, I’m confused. However 47 is definitely a number to act upon.
As I said I'm now six months from being diagnosed type 2. Once I was over the initial shock, I saw it as the proverbial kick up the bum to get healthier. I was started on Metformin tablets and tolerate them well now after a bit of stomach upset in the early days. I wasn't advised to eat low carb by my GP or Diabetes education course, but stumbled on this forum by chance and took up a low carb life style with self monitoring. I started by eating less than 100g carbs/day to begin with and then after 6 weeks reduced it to 50-70g/day, that’s what I continue on now. The best way to see what foods suit you is to test right before a meal and then two hours after the first bite, you’re looking for a rise of no more than 2 mmol/l and to be within these recommended ranges http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html
This has worked for me, to date I've lost over 4 stone (still more to go) and got my HbA1c down to a non diabetic level, all due to the fantastic support and advise I got here. Read around the Forum and I'm sure you'll find a way to do it too!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome!

As referred to above, I am a bit surprised you were diagnosed as T2 on those tests. The HbA1c of 45 indicates pre-diabetes. It has to be 48 or over for a diabetes diagnosis, and when someone is sort of borderline like you seem to be, an HbA1c is followed up with another one a week or two later, then a diagnosis can be made or discarded. Did you have a second HbA1c?

Your blood glucose tests of 7.6 and 8.2 - were they fasting tests? If so, they do indicate you have impaired fasting glucose, which can go hand in hand with either pre-diabetes or T2, but the diagnostic test is the HbA1c.

My suggestion is you ask for a print out of all the test results if you don't already have them, and check what you actually did have. If you are in England you could also ask if your surgery puts test results on-line as they were asked to do before May 2016, and how to register for these.

TIANDB

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Hi Paul. It looks like you have all in control and are doing the right things to improve your figures. Browsing this most excellent forum , adjusting your diet to suit and your continued exercise..
One thing from your opening post.
The average over 3 months was apparently 6.2 and the hba1c was 45, so not catastrophic, but enough to have my GP make a T2 diabetes diagnosis.
On diagnosis of any diabetes the doctor usually does 2 of HBA1C Tests spaced out. Was your 6.2 one of these tests % maybe ? as that would class you as pre diabetic as does your 45 MMOL. Best luck dude.

DiagnosticCriteriaPrediabetes.png

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm just a year from diagnosis and it seems easy to keep to normal levels - and I was quite a lot higher at diagnosis - so with luck it is possible to return to normal test results with just a bit of alteration to the diet. There is so much carbohydrate in the modern diet. I am unlucky to be so sensitive to it, but I have been the same all my adult life. I think that for many people just cutting out the heavyweights - bread rice paste etc can turn things around if it is caught early - add in a bit more exercise and I think that checking blood glucose after meals is a good idea, to see what progress is being made, and all should be well.
I suspect that it is a lifelong inability to deal with carbs, but it does mean that you get to eat the good stuff and put cream in your coffee, so there is not really a lot to complain about. Like you - I suspect that I am less resistant to insulin later in the day, so I have only a few carbs in the mornings and so can have a dessert with dinner - which today is roast beef and the timer has just gone ping so I'd better go and put it out before himself starts to complain.

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome!

As referred to above, I am a bit surprised you were diagnosed as T2 on those tests. The HbA1c of 45 indicates pre-diabetes. It has to be 48 or over for a diabetes diagnosis, and when someone is sort of borderline like you seem to be, an HbA1c is followed up with another one a week or two later, then a diagnosis can be made or discarded. Did you have a second HbA1c?

Your blood glucose tests of 7.6 and 8.2 - were they fasting tests? If so, they do indicate you have impaired fasting glucose, which can go hand in hand with either pre-diabetes or T2, but the diagnostic test is the HbA1c.

My suggestion is you ask for a print out of all the test results if you don't already have them, and check what you actually did have. If you are in England you could also ask if your surgery puts test results on-line as they were asked to do before May 2016, and how to register for these.

Yes, I was surprised at a T2 diagnosis at an HbA1c of 45. My wife's a medic and her colleagues reckoned it a pre-diabetes diagnosis was more appropriate. One suggested that GP surgeries are trying to catch diabetes earlier, so maybe it's a good wake up call. A less charitable suggestion was that GP surgeries collect money for each diagnosis, so they're incentivised to diagnose diabetes!

I'm going to try and get online access to my blood results for a closer look.

TANDB - yes it was 6.2% and HbA1c of 45mmol/l.

Rachox - they were fasting tests. I'm hoping the low carb diet and getting my weight down to 80kg (from 85kg) will help. I'm also going to adjust my work-life balance so that I can get a morning dog walk in most days - I can get it down into the 5's by lunchtime if I walk the dogs for 1.5 hrs at the weekend. It seems to linger in the 6's when I'm at work and behind a desk.

And thanks for all the other respondents, it's really useful to have a community resource like this.

Reactions: Bluetit1802