Longest exprience

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
I think Eddie, who used to post here, has probably done 12 years by now and still seems fit and well. He's just come 10th in a world wide "best low carb blogs" survey - see Diet Doctor for details.
Sally

Reactions: 9893973788
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
unMmIZ.png

I experimented with food and a meter towards the end of 2011. I put what I learned into practice in time for an Hba1c test in May 2012. The slight trend upwards since then is because as I learned more and more my lifestyle improved and my numbers got a little worse but not as bad as when diagnosed.

I believe that I could do better by being more strict with myself but I could be fooling myself, who knows.

Reactions: Prem51

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There was someone who recently returned to this forum (only a few days ago I think). He was one of the very first members but had stayed away for a while. He is doing fine, 17 years later.

Edited to add: It turns out the member in question is T1. (See the next posts.)

Last edited:

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nearly four years since diagnosis - initiallly just reduced carbs for first couple of months, since then LCHF mainly within 50g carbs a day. See signature for info. Currelntly struggfling a but with glucose levels due in part to oedema and new blood pressure nmeds, My main problems in keeping stable have been non-diabetic health related, but like @Squire Fulwood, I could possibly do a little better on a stricter regime..

Robbity

Last edited:
Reactions: 9893973788

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
nearly six years since diagnosis, and lowering my carbs, eating to my meter has kept me safe for five and a half years so far. I get my next HbA1c results in three weeks time.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been low carbing with moderate fat for about 30 years now. With a number of short detours, derailments, attempts at low fat, low calorie, vegetarianism and other ways of eating along the way. Probably low carbing for over 90% of those 30 years, and doing LCHigherF properly and consistently for the last 10 (before it had a name), with keto for the 4 most recent years approx 75% of the time.

the lower carb I go, the better I feel.

Last edited:

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think Eddie, who used to post here, has probably done 12 years by now and still seems fit and well. He's just come 10th in a world wide "best low carb blogs" survey - see Diet Doctor for details.
Sally

He’s been doing it as long as me, almost 10 years now but there are many who have done much longer.

Reactions: Prem51

I've been low carbing with moderate fat for about 30 years now. With a number of short detours, derailments, attempts at low fat, low calorie, vegetarianism and other ways of eating along the way. Probably low carbing for over 90% of those 30 years, and doing LCHigherF properly and consistently for the last 10 (before it had a name), with keto for the 4 most recent years approx 75% of the time.

the lower carb I go, the better I feel.
Ok and plz describe about health,and reason for adopting lchf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok and plz describe about health,and reason for adopting lchf
After some confusion at the doctor's office I found myself in the diabetic clinic before I was diagnosed but their guess proved correct. I was given pills, lots of pills. DN said it was progressive and would get worse and it seemed she was right. It got to the point where she prescribed Glimepiride and gave me a meter.

In hindsight I now know that I was given the meter to check for hypos but in error I thought that since my problem was with high glucose it was to be used to get a handle on that. I used it to see what foods did what (2011) and before long I put my knowledge into practice. My Hba1c dropped.

I can't remember how I found this site (2012) but when I did I found that others had done exactly the same as me. I sort of joined in and I am still here.

A memory I have from the early days was when I asked DN if I was "allowed" to know what my Hba1c was and she wrote it on a Post-It note and gave it to me. I still have it and will frame it one day. We have come on a bit since then. I have a Patient Care Record in a folder and can even get my results on line. Wow.