How to get an insulin pump on the NHS?

hopeful84

Hi buddy, I am of your opinion, if my mum would have the Guardian Connect, probably I would sleep better than now sice I would much more influence on her life.. I started thinking about only insulin pump + this device? What do You make of it? Will it be better than pomp with cgm? Have You ever tested similar device like that?

In refer to insulin of mum, I can describe it like that, she gets up and take blood with glucose meter, next step is injection, she takes slow reacting insulin for whole a day, forgive mi writing but I don't know how to translate, she repeats that also in the evening before she goes to sleep, in within a day if she wants to eat sth , she has to take an injection for that so she can take many injections one day , all it depends on how often she wants to eat or drinks, I hope I explained that in some extent..

I send e-mail to my female colleague to clarify that and as long as I get some information about that I will forward that to You

D

Deleted Account

Can You also tell me how much is pump cost at You with cmg and without that? Our prices are teetering between 10 - 15 000 zł with cmg , it's about 3500 euro ,they cost about 2000 euro without cmg, thanks
I was advised to insure my pump for £3500 and that does not include a CGM or the pump supplies which need to be changed every 2 to 3 days.
And, yes, although my pump is funded by the NHS, they do not pay for a replacement if I break it so I have to pay for the insurance.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
In refer to insulin of mum, I can describe it like that, she gets up and take blood with glucose meter, next step is injection, she takes slow reacting insulin for whole a day, forgive mi writing but I don't know how to translate, she repeats that also in the evening before she goes to sleep, in within a day if she wants to eat sth , she has to take an injection for that so she can take many injections one day , all it depends on how often she wants to eat or drinks, I hope I explained that in some extent..

It sounds like she is on a basal/bolus regime, otherwise known as multiple daily injections, which is great news...

with the right education, this regime can get good control......

my personal opinion is that a good education should always come first, so anyone going on to a pump or a cgm, and even a libre, should be well versed in dose adjustment first....

is such an education available formally where she lives......?

if not there a plenty of online sources to go to.....

how old is your mother? it might be unrealistic to expect her to dive head first in to it you see....

hopeful84

Thanks for educating me :) thanks to You I am better familiar with that and every reply makes me feel good and I can say much more and look at the bigger picture.. my mum is 55 and she goes to her diabetologist to get some information, but I don't know how often, I have to ask her about going there and talk about insulin pump as I found out that You have to meet the some conditions before you get it, is it right?

In the middle of reading about insulin pumps, I came across sth what worries me, I mean, they say that You can't use the slow acting insulin , only short acting insulin in pump? can You confirm that? I also found out that my mum uses better, more expensive insulin which help her to sleep better without thinking about hypoglycemia.. as I mentioned, she do it before go to sleep so it's the slow acting insulin, previous she used to cheaper insulin and it made that she had hypoglycemia..
I don't hide that information from her in some extent calmed me down..but the short acting insulin last till 3hours? does pump have any allerts to wake you up about breaking or lack of insulin in the tank? I try to refer to slow acting insulin which can be better?

if You don't mind, do You have any information about using Dexcom G4? I really serious think about that in due to many options and what I know, the sensors last longer than Guardian Connect?

Best Regards and have a nice day !

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for educating me :) thanks to You I am better familiar with that and every reply makes me feel good and I can say much more and look at the bigger picture.. my mum is 55 and she goes to her diabetologist to get some information, but I don't know how often, I have to ask her about going there and talk about insulin pump as I found out that You have to meet the some conditions before you get it, is it right?

In the middle of reading about insulin pumps, I came across sth what worries me, I mean, they say that You can't use the slow acting insulin , only short acting insulin in pump? can You confirm that? I also found out that my mum uses better, more expensive insulin which help her to sleep better without thinking about hypoglycemia.. as I mentioned, she do it before go to sleep so it's the slow acting insulin, previous she used to cheaper insulin and it made that she had hypoglycemia..
I don't hide that information from her in some extent calmed me down..but the short acting insulin last till 3hours? does pump have any allerts to wake you up about breaking or lack of insulin in the tank? I try to refer to slow acting insulin which can be better?

if You don't mind, do You have any information about using Dexcom G4? I really serious think about that in due to many options and what I know, the sensors last longer than Guardian Connect?

Best Regards and have a nice day !

Without causing offence, I believe you are worrying over nothing.......its natural to worry, but your mother is a grown woman...

The risk of hypo will always be there with diabetics but it can be managed quite accurately with dose adjustment education and carb counting experience.....

Would you say she is able to adjust her own doses currently....?

A pump does only use the quicker acting insulin yes.....its satisfies the basal [slow acting] needs by providing a constant supply of insulin. My pump actually gives me a dose every ten minutes I think.....you program in basal rates into the pump...I have seven and all are above 1.0 unit per hour....

Obviously some insulin will perform better in different people but its the same approach to dose adjustment. You need to establish the dose of slow acting and then you need to work out insulin/carb ratios for each meal [breakfast/lunch/dinner/snacks] as well as working out how long the bolus insulin lasts as well as how much 1 unit of insulin drops the blood sugar...

The pumps do have alerts for low insulin levels as well as any faults that may occur yes...

get your mum to have a look here:

https://www.bertieonline.org.uk/

hopeful84

maybe, I am worrying over nothing but last events made me more cautious about my parents.. she one out of them who still with me and she can count on just me..but coming back to our topic, thx for link, I didn't find any time to get there at the weekend but I am going there soon

yes, my mum is able to adjust her own doses but sometimes was that glucose meter didn't work.. I don't know what's happend , the glucose meter gave us a signal about excecuting injection but then it turned out, that was failed and within a few hours went to hypo, so all the more I satisfied the pump do some alerts when it comes to damage..

I have got information from some users that they write some blood readings into pump made with glucose metter as they don't have any cgm before meal, I wonder if it like that before every meal? it;s a little hard to use the pump and do it all the time when you want to eat sth.. is it true?

vic hill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
maybe, I am worrying over nothing but last events made me more cautious about my parents.. she one out of them who still with me and she can count on just me..but coming back to our topic, thx for link, I didn't find any time to get there at the weekend but I am going there soon

yes, my mum is able to adjust her own doses but sometimes was that glucose meter didn't work.. I don't know what's happend , the glucose meter gave us a signal about excecuting injection but then it turned out, that was failed and within a few hours went to hypo, so all the more I satisfied the pump do some alerts when it comes to damage..

I have got information from some users that they write some blood readings into pump made with glucose metter as they don't have any cgm before meal, I wonder if it like that before every meal? it;s a little hard to use the pump and do it all the time when you want to eat sth.. is it true?
hope ful84
TRY THIS SITE medwow.com
then put your country in for search you may find someof interest ACCU-CHEK are also poss for supply but go steady may be cons conected have not got inf on them be very carefull ok vic