Am I the only one who got type 1 diabetic at the age of 19?

L3wisr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Diagnosed at 24.
Blood Sugars were 20 if i recall correctly.

Won the diabetic lottery - only person in my family to have it.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I was 31 and on my own with two children. I refer to my type 1 diagnosis as my Ex's leaving present :rolleyes:

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Did he had depression or something like that?
Because I was very depressed before I got Diabetes.
Doctor says I got Diabetes due to stress and depression

Stress and depression do not cause diabetes, your doctor is wrong about that.

Reactions: Jibran_Khan

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
She’s still wrong, depression does not cause diabetes. T1 is an autoimmune disease. You would still have it if you had no depression.
What she said. Mine started soon after I got over a pretty nasty cold. And I hardly ever get sick.

Jibran_Khan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Biggest Irony is
I hated sweets all my life yet I got Diabetes.
It's like going in jail for the crime you didn't did.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Biggest Irony is
I hated sweets all my life yet I got Diabetes.
It's like going in jail for the crime you didn't did.

Sweets don’t cause diabetes either, of any kind.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was 31 when I was diagnosed. First person in my family to have type 1 then blow me down with a feather, 5 days later my daughter gets diagnosed. Double whammy. :D
Definite double whammy, but was it meant to be? If you hadn't been dx' d how long would your daughter have gone undiagnosed? Scary thought but she could have been taken seriously ill. Blessings in disguise and all that stuff.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Age 60 for me. It's called LADA when you become T1 in later years. It can come on quite slowly with a 'honeymoon' period. No, it's not at all unusual.

NadineV

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was 31 when I was diagnosed. First person in my family to have type 1 then blow me down with a feather, 5 days later my daughter gets diagnosed. Double whammy. :D

Hi, I am sorry I do not know how to ask privately, I am new here as my son just got diagnosed with T1 on Saturday. He is 15 and still in hospital. I am wondering - did you get any pet recently prior being diagnosed? Any changes in your life and environment? Thanks

NadineV

Type of diabetes
Type 1
No, no changes prior to diagnosis. I'd been losing weight for a while. I'd been to the GP several times, only to be told I had acid reflux and was prescribed Omeprazole. I ended up in hospital with DKA. My daughter never really had any symptoms. I only found out about her diabetes after testing everyone in the family's BG levels with my new glucose monitor and hers coming back as high. We took her to A&E and got the diagnosis the next day.

Thanks for your response. It is shock for our family as well. I went on a trip with my son over weekend and I noticed he was drinking extensive amount of water. On our way back, while in the car I noticed acidic smell. Took him to A&E and his blood sugar was over 32! Of course I still did not accept his diagnoses and that's why I am asking if you got a pet recently. We got a dog and now I am blaming myself as I was reading about possible connection between possibility of viral infection triggering T1. ??

@Jibran_Khan
my son was also eating healthy, doing sports, swimming, scouts, hurling at school, I think T1 is not lifestyle related>
I know that people are saying it is auto-immune disease
but is it?
".... researchers believe it is a 'wrong read' of the insulin gene itself that proves to be a major target of the immune system. This error product of the insulin gene is made when beta cells are stressed, Roep said."

got it from here: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/03/170301085412.htm

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
43 at diagnosis in August this year. No one fully understands what causes the immune system to start attacking the beta cells, but I know they suspect it might be a reaction to a virus.

No one should blame themselves for a type 1 diagnosis at any age.

Reactions: NadineV