Goose ?

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm determined to try goose this year for Christmas. Lidl have some very reasonably priced goose crowns. I've never cooked it before.. any tips please.

katmcd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My mam did this Jamie Oliver recipe a couple of years ago and it was delicious!
https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/goose-recipes/day-ahead-stripped-goose/

You cook it the day before and keep the meat in some of the fat to keep it moist for the big day. And the left over fat is for the roast potatoes. Get a deep tray for underneath as we got loads of fat out-way more than we expected.
Also, it has a big chest cavity like a duck does. But obviously much bigger. It was surprising how much larger it looked in our kitchen/oven compared to in the shop!
Whatever you do to it, Enjoy!

Reactions: daisyduck

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My mam did this Jamie Oliver recipe a couple of years ago and it was delicious!
https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/goose-recipes/day-ahead-stripped-goose/

You cook it the day before and keep the meat in some of the fat to keep it moist for the big day. And the left over fat is for the roast potatoes. Get a deep tray for underneath as we got loads of fat out-way more than we expected.
Also, it has a big chest cavity like a duck does. But obviously much bigger. It was surprising how much larger it looked in our kitchen/oven compared to in the shop!
Whatever you do to it, Enjoy!
That looks good and fairly easy too.. thank you

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I had goose earlier this year - can't quite remember the date - probably not Christmas, though.
Do allow enough time to cook the fat out of the skin. The skin can be flabby and fatty if the bird is not given a long enough cooking time. It is only slightly longer than chicken or turkey, calculated by the weight of the bird
I have a roasting tin with a rack in it and cooked vegetables under the bird, but removed the first lot of fat into a small tin for the potatoes.
I did not cook it beforehand, I have a normal oven, a large microwave and a halogen oven too, so more than enough space for everything to be cooked.

Reactions: daisyduck

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Tip, dry the skin with paper towels, rub with salt and loads and loads of dried majoram. Roast basting very frequently and pouring off the fat at regular intervals. Save this fat, it's brilliant for roast veg. I stuff mine with buckwheat.. naughty but!!