My Yearly Visit to hospital

pavmas

Ok I Know that im supposed to go every 6 months but find it pointless as all the doctor says is the same as the last time, take 20 units of lantus instead of 18, this time take 18 units of lantus instead of 20.
I only go for my eyes and blood, ok blood last year 5.9 this year 5.8 i wake up with a reading of 5.4 most mornings after advice from someone here a long time type 1 that i should aim to go to bed with 6.6 reading.
Got a call from (Name removed) birmingham (think thats the name where a nurse phones you every month to see how you are doing) She said I am not a diabetic but wish i had reading like yours, cholesteral perfect, habc1 5.8 liver heart kidneys all perfect, blood pressure bang in the middle just slightly low ( it was just slightly high last year so i cut out all types of butter spread etc for 1 year now i take it every second day so trying for bang in the middle.

I take 20 units of lantus a night and 8-10 units of novo rapid with evenly meals. when I wake up I have a banana no insulin and drink tea a lot, I have 1 tsp fruit sugar with two sweetners hermasetas i do not take asprataine.
by having fruit only pears and bananas i can keep my blood 5.4 to 5.8 all day, my meals are all vegetarian and within an hour of eating i am back down to 5.4.
I have no excess weight and have lost 20 pounds since my last checkup.
Ok so the nurse said whats your secret I told her two things SMOKING or OLIVES as I have olives with nearly every meal and have a smoke with every cup of tea, she said it would be the olives i say the smoking.

The one thing i do know that as soon as i was diagnoised with type 1 I never touched a drink again as it terrified me' as a young man I was in the (Name removed) eye hospital after losing an eye in an accident, this young guy was a diabetic and losing his sight; he was told he will go blind if he did not stop NOW.
The next Sat he came into the hospital his face red with the tears, he had decided that he would give up drinking and would have one last night on the bevvy with his mates, well that one last binge made him lose his sight completly' he went totally blind the next day and i saw him in the corridor crying after the doctor told him there was nothing he could do' he was 19.
So when I saw the doctor after 6 months being type 1, he said you must stop smoking, i said ive stopped drinking " you can drink as much as you want he said but you must stop smoking" What I said are you a nutter i have with my own eyes (well eye) what drink does to diabetics and i have only one eye.
So I said a doctor cant lie on a death cetificate can they "No he said" Then show me one death cetificate from anywhere in the world thats says died as a result of smoking "just show me 1" and i will quit right now' he could not show me one.

Dont think im a fool if i thought that for one minute smoking would make my diabetis worse then i would stop instantly, but i know that having a smoke removes any stress i may have and that stress can cause you to have a stroke, the doctor says that smoking can cause the stroke .

If a type one does not take his/her insulin THEY WILL DIE, thats a fact, where smoking there are no facts that i can find after years and years of looking for them.

Cancer Research' Ash all say Smoking MAY; COULD not a positive "WILL" get cancer or a stroke.

I maybe wrong or I maybe right but I am doing what i think is the best way to deal with my diabetis and keep it as normal as possible to a non diabetics readings and have succeeded so far.

P.S I also cut out salt and if I do take salt I take sea salt

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Well, I am still glad I gave up smoking... and I know why I did it too.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
each to their own, sadly im not lucky enough for that to work for me :?

moonstone

Hello pavmas,

I am finding it extremely hard to give up smoking, I'll be diagnosed T1 3yrs in March 2011. I've tried very very hard and have failed although I did manage 3 months once. I'm at my wit's end with it. However, it has been explained to me the exact reason and mechanism for smoking making my diabetes worse, which is what you said you didn't understand. Smoking causes damage to all the small blood vessels throughout your body both inside and on the skin (eg kidneys), and unfortunately that is also exactly what diabetes does, therefore giving you double trouble. The good news is your insanely excellent control, of which I am utterly jealous. For some people though, sadly, excellent control doesn't mean diabetes isn't silently wreaking its havoc inside without your knowledge. Not everyone with perfect control will avoid complications, that's just the way it is, but it does of course give you a much, much higher chance of avoiding them. So you are, yes, taking a risk with continuing to smoke despite your wonderful control. So as long as you know that, and it's a risk you're happy to take, then it's up to you.

Moonstone.

sugar2

Moonstone,

Just wanted to wish you all the very best of luck with trying to give up smoking. I never started, as I knew that I wouldn't be able to stop if I did, so really do sympathise with your situation.

moonstone

Aw thanks Sugar2. In some ways I wish I'd been diagnosed as a teenager then I'd have never started either :(

Something else that it's worth pavmas knowing is smoking wouldn't be put down as a cause of death on a death certificate (I don't think) as I believe the requirement is for the medical problem to be there rather than the cause of the medical problem. So lung cancer caused by asbestos would not mention asbestos I don't think, and alcohol-related cirrhosis of the liver would just say cirrhosis of the liver. There might be some more medical people who'd know better but I believe that's the case.

pavmas

Well I liked a drink and once it was established I was type 1 I stopped, I have a sweet tooth now I eat fruit instead, I used to love burgers but now I am a vegetarian.

I have searched and searched and found no convincing proof that smoking does the damage claimed so I continue to smoke until I find convincing evidence that it is dangerous.

In saying that I don't deny its a habitual drug and nicotine is no different from all the rest of substance abuse and that should really be enough to make me stop.

moonstone

If anyone would like to know about the harsh realities of the dangers of tobacco, as seen and known by the tobacco firms themselves, I highly recommend watching The Whistleblower starring Russell Crowe and Al Pacino - it's a true story.

gorranbay

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have never smoked in all my 61 years. But with readings like Pavmas is getting I think I’m going to start?

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
pavmas said:
I have searched and searched and found no convincing proof that smoking does the damage claimed so I continue to smoke until I find convincing evidence that it is dangerous.

Hi Pavmas, as a life long smoker I like you spent many years in denial, thinking it couldn't be as bad as everyone said, then one morning about 4 years ago I woke up at four in the morning struggling to breathe, it is the single most scary thing I have ever suffered and I truly hope that you never experience anything like it. Anyway to cut a very long story short I was admitted and discharged from hospital 3 times taking steroids to keep my bronchial tubes open and each time I came off the steroid I had a further episode, the fourth time saw me admitted to intensive care where I was intubated for 6 days, thats an induced coma for those that dont know and it was touch and go whether or not I would be able to be brought off the life support machine.

Thankfully I did recover although long term usage of steroids did actually cause my diabetes, a small price to pay for my life back though.
It transpired that I had Bronchiectasis caused by inhaling poisonous gasses , I used solvents in my work, asthma, no idea where that came from in my mid 50's and COPD or to be more specific emphysema, now you can believe this or not as the mood takes you Pavlos but over 90% of emphysema is caused by smoking*

Now you can smoke as many cigs a day as you like Pavmas but please dont kid yourself that it is doing no damage, yes I know everyone knows someone in their 80's or 90's that has smoked all their lives but they are the lucky few, smoking will damage the extremely sensitive and delicate alveoli in your lungs, no ifs, no buts, or perhaps that should be butts :)

Our lungs were designed to breathe fresh air and there is enough pollution in our air today already without intentionally sucking smoke into them, but like I've said already, you do what you like, but just know that when you say that there is no evidence for the dangers of smoking you are only kidding yourself.

* Some links to the proof you failed to find Pavmas
http://www.ehealthmd.com/library/emphys ... auses.html
http://www.hmc.psu.edu/healthinfo/e/emphysema.htm
http://www.lung.ca/diseases-maladies/a- ... ndex_e.php
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/14161.php