Buckinghamshire FS Libre position.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
When I say Bucks, it's really the Chiltern CCG (https://tableaumapping.wordpress.com/2013/07/17/uk-clinical-commissioning-groups/ for full list of NHS England CCGs).

Had an interesting talk to my GP about the Libre situation of which she was well aware as it is a contentious issue. The Chiltern CCG, may, for some individuals, fund NHS prescriptions for the sensors. She also told me that it would cost me £15 for a private prescription which would only be given if there was a need. Private prescriptions are not given out just because you want something. If I was to get a private prescription and go to Boots the total cost would be £62.50.

As a GP, who does home visits, she was well aware of the waste where people do not take their medications, for whatever reason. From "refuse to take" but still get the prescription filled every two months like my MIL to some less fortunate who might have memory problems and forget to take. Because of that the medical community wants to ensure that those who are prescribed the sensors will actually make use of them and will benefit from them. She did say that I would be an ideal candidate but as I would put up with paying for myself and don't want to deprive anyone more needy I won't get a prescription any time soon.

The Chiltern CCG are in he process of defining guidelines which are due very soon.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I assume the reader stores all results along when log of when it was accessed. Therefore it would not be hard to require anyone with a prescription to come in and see the nurce every few weeks to explain what actions they have taken based on their BG data.

(I don't understand why they don't check meters to see if people are using all the test strips they are presribed, hence stopping reselling of them.)

PS you don't need a private prescription to get a libre, as you can just order one yourself direct.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
PS you don't need a private prescription to get a libre, as you can just order one yourself direct.

I realise that, exactly what I've done for the last year. That was in case your pharmacist didn't charge the markup that my local Boots mentioned to me and you could buy it from the pharmacist with a private prescription for the cost that Abbott charge the NHS i.e. £35.

Jkoko56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, it is £11 cheaper than the current self-funding price but that may be cancelled out by the cost of a private prescription and a pharmacy handling fee. Not all doctors will give you a private prescription for nothing.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm very fortunate that our GP is happy to provide private prescriptions without a fee. We regularly have them when our sailing medical kit needs drugs or various things replaced.

I may ask her her position on the Libre when next I see her.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Not all doctors will give you a private prescription for nothing.

Are there any? Also, as my GP explained, you don't get a private prescription for anything unless you need it. Technically in my case, as I self fund, I'm already down as a person who doesn't need it, although I would have fulfilled the other criteria, which in Bucks hasn't been fully agreed.

I can imagine that fulfilling a prescription isn't going to be that straight forward, I can't see the NHS or a pharmacy holding stock, possibly because of shelf life, cost of storage, so they'll have to go to Abbott. Needs more thought.