Recently diagnosed type 1 and rapidly gaining weight

ciranraff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Im a recently diagnosed type 1 diabetic and i have noticed that i have been gaining a significant amount of weight. In the space of 3 months i have went from eleven stone to 13 stone and my BMI is now overweight. I am aware of the consequences of being type 1 and overweight and i am wondering what is the best way for a type 1 diabetic to lose weight.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @ciranraff and welcome to the forum.

When diagnosed generally type 1's are underweight due to the weight lost through ketoacidosis, so regaining weight is inevitable once you start to become more healthy and the body recovers. To prevent further weight gain it's advisable to speak to your dietician to look at your current diet and see what changes can be made, exercise is essential to help burn extra weight off also so getting into a gym or running cycling will help. Many type 1's have reduced their carbohydrate content to prevent weight gain, a good book to guide you on this is Dr Bernnsteins book, he is a type 1 also, but his book is useful read to all new type 1's.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi, I was 8 1/2 stones and went down to just over 7 stone when diagnosed. In hospital I noticed that the weight lost, started to go back on quite quickly. That was decades ago and today I am nearer 9 stone, but would like to shift the 1/2 stone.
As you are recently diagnosed it may take a little while for your body and mind to get used to all that has happened. Hopefully things will settle down soon and you will see some improvement soon.
Good luck.

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I put about 20kg on in the months following diagnosis, that said I had lost more than that and I did not look well at all.

Bear in mind a lot of the weight you are putting back on will be fluid and muscle mass rebuilding.

That being said according to my BMI I am overweight, while I will admit I could do to lose a few KG the amount I should lose to get back in to "normal" would make me look quite ill again.

One thing I have done is switch out a lot of the carbs I used to pile on my plate for more veggies, this has been a fairly small change really and it has allowed me to start dropping weight with the added bonus that I don't have to bolus as much for my meals.

Allow yourself some time to get used to it all again (I think it took me around 18 months or so to stabilise) then worry about getting your weight back to "normal". Of course if you are otherwise happy and healthy then don't worry.

/A

Garr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't worry about BMI, according to my BMI I'm overweight and I've hardly any fat. It doesn't take into account muscle mass. As for how to lose weight it's the same for most people. Put less in and take more out. But I wouldn't worry about the weight gain for now until your body settles down with the new regime.

Sam_a_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have been diagnosed type 1 for a year and have put nearly 3 stone on and I walk ever were but I can't get rid of the weight
Can any one give me some please x

cyril.rayner

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I have put on weight and have been 92kg for a long time and just can't drop it, I am on Steroid's witch doesn't help, I am 83 and restricted in how much exercise I can do such as walking, I can only do about 10 minutes in the garden and I'm done, so has any one got any suggestions/

debsugs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
A stone for me, off to slimming world Thursday - 97 days till holidays!!!

Type of diabetes
Type 3
Treatment type
Insulin
I was 8 stone when diagnosed 16 years ago. I am now 11 stone 5 lbs and CANNOT LOSE ANY WEIGHT. I have tried slimming world and weight watchers to no avail. I eat very few carbs. I am type 1 with insulin resistance and I have an under active thyroid. I appreciate all these helpful comments above but BASICALLY INSULIN MAKES YOU HUNGRY AND YOU EAT MORE. INSULIN PUTS WEIGHT ON. END OF. I am fed up too.

David1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, This is just another common factor most dietetics will most likely find they will have to keep check on with six monthly bloods check up. Thyroid glands either become over active or under, symptoms weight gain or weight lost also slight swelling below ear lobe. As they play important part in how your insulin you take to keep your sugar level normal may start to react in abnormal manner ( still high sugar level after dose or opposite. ) anyway simple blood test will find this out .i am on tablets to regulate this for last twenty years. It's only a possibility , but worth getting check anyway .

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

yycdordor

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
washing dishes lol
I have been diagnosed type 1 back in end of March and im on long acting insulin, i do noticed i put on 2KG after lising 8KG in 2months... but i was thinking prehaps i was too busy at work and cant hit to the gym as much as i normally do... do you think insulin will make you put on weight?!

Sent from my SM-N910U using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:

PseudoBob77

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't get why some diabetics put on weight after diagnosis unless your putting it back on after losing it from severe DKA, but I really don't get why it sends some people overweight. Isn't that just down to bad eating habits?

I never had that problem, I lost half my body weight in the 6 months leading up to my diagnosis when I was 12 years old then put weight back on up to normal levels over the following year.

David1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, most insulin users will have to adjust to weight gain or even weight lost with having to inject types of insulin your body requires with you in charge of sugar levels for rest of your life.
If new to this then it's trial and error in how you eat around work and home and playing high energy activities like sport. You might eat three meals a day and your sugars are high when blood average sugar come back in check up. Try eating little and often with splitting dose of insulin over the day instead of three injections take five smaller just cover food. Your body will tell you if you need to adjust your routine . Never go for perfection. But when you know how you to make adjustments in your lifestyle even when you have to do it at moment notice like working in hot weather your sugars will go low so take less insulin to counteract. Hope this may help some of posts

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

mark-boy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
yep, me too, diagnosed in April, had dropped a ton of weight (trousers were falling down when I was washing the car the day before diagnosis!) now on insulin and am piling on the pounds :(

just decided to start a low carb diet (which I've done before, pre-diagnosis) hoping it stops the rot!!

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There is nothing that diabetics have to do differently then non-diabetics to lose weight - eat well, eat less, count calories and exercise more. Its just like everyone else :)

Most people will gradually (or suddenly) loose weight leading up to diagnosis. Lots of time (myself included) they find they can eat anything they want and still end up loosing weight - this is due to to you body basically eating itself and not absorbing anything from your food. This pattern of weight loss is misleading because after diagnosis when starting insulin these people just keep eating they way 'they always have been' and find that they pack on the weight. This is because now your on insulin and your body is able to store and use the calories your feeding it rather then passing it unused.

Its not insulin making you gain weight, or messing with your metabolism - its your body going back to normal, prior to diagnosis is when your body was messed up causing you to not gain weight, or even loose it.

linsue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
There is nothing that diabetics have to do differently then non-diabetics to lose weight - eat well, eat less, count calories and exercise more. Its just like everyone else :)

Most people will gradually (or suddenly) loose weight leading up to diagnosis. Lots of time (myself included) they find they can eat anything they want and still end up loosing weight - this is due to to you body basically eating itself and not absorbing anything from your food. This pattern of weight loss is misleading because after diagnosis when starting insulin these people just keep eating they way 'they always have been' and find that they pack on the weight. This is because now your on insulin and your body is able to store and use the calories your feeding it rather then passing it unused.

Its not insulin making you gain weight, or messing with your metabolism - its your body going back to normal, prior to diagnosis is when your body was messed up causing you to not gain weight, or even loose it.

linsue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
This is so complicated. My daughter had never been overweight. She was diagnosed when she was 14. Her regular weight was 110 pounds. Lost some and regained it back. Now she is 169 pounds and keep putting weight. Should I believe it's only the food and lack of exercise? If so, why not before diabetes?

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

While largely true on the surface this is potentially dangerous to say. T1's need to take more care since

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I was 8 stone when diagnosed 16 years ago. I am now 11 stone 5 lbs and CANNOT LOSE ANY WEIGHT. I have tried slimming world and weight watchers to no avail. I eat very few carbs. I am type 1 with insulin resistance and I have an under active thyroid. I appreciate all these helpful comments above but BASICALLY INSULIN MAKES YOU HUNGRY AND YOU EAT MORE. INSULIN PUTS WEIGHT ON. END OF. I am fed up too.
I don't think insulin makes you hungry but I believe that high levels of insulin carry fat to the fat cells and so we gain weight. Reduce carbs reduces the need for bolus, so fewer carbs and potentially weight loss