What does CT (as in CT scan) stand for ?

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
As I've previously posted, I was diagnosed with Aortic Stenosis earlier this year and am on a list for a valve replacement some time next year.
Yesterday I got a call inviting me in for a CT scan. As a watcher of all things medical, I thought I knew what CT stood for. It appears I didn't.
Without cheating, or being a medical professional, what do YOU think CT stands for ?
Geoff

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Computed Tomography! Neuropathology masters student who had to do a lot of neuroimaging stuff, so maybe slightly cheating? :p

Reactions: lindijanice

Dark Horse

As I've previously posted, I was diagnosed with Aortic Stenosis earlier this year and am on a list for a valve replacement some time next year.
Yesterday I got a call inviting me in for a CT scan. As a watcher of all things medical, I thought I knew what CT stood for. It appears I didn't.
Without cheating, or being a medical professional, what do YOU think CT stands for ?
Geoff
Tomography is a way of getting a 'picture' of a cross-section through a part of the body. Interestingly, if anyone gets a referral to ophthalmology for maculopathy, they generally get an OCT (optical coherence tomography) which shows a cross-section through the retina and allows any pockets of fluid (which can be sight-threatening) to be identified.