Research on prospective memory and executive function in type 1 diabetics

rkbarry88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good Afternoon,

I am conducting my MSc research project on prospective memory and executive function in type 1 diabetics. I would really appreciate your participation in completing this online survey that should take approximately 10-15 minutes to complete. If you wish to participate you must be type 1 diabetic for at least one year, aged 18-50 years old and have no previous diagnosis of cognitive impairments. This study has been granted ethical approval by the Ethics Committee in the Health and Life Sciences department at Northumbria University.

Please follow the link below to complete the online survey and thank you for taking the opportunity to read this.

https://nupsych.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_3TRUm92yTRf5VZj

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good Afternoon,

I am conducting my MSc research project on prospective memory and executive function in type 1 diabetics. I would really appreciate your participation in completing this online survey that should take approximately 10-15 minutes to complete. If you wish to participate you must be type 1 diabetic for at least one year, aged 18-50 years old and have no previous diagnosis of cognitive impairments. This study has been granted ethical approval by the Ethics Committee in the Health and Life Sciences department at Northumbria University.

Please follow the link below to complete the online survey and thank you for taking the opportunity to read this.

https://nupsych.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_3TRUm92yTRf5VZj

That was interesting to complete. Is the MsC in neuropsychology? Are you getting people without type 1 to complete to compare the results by age etc? I mean, I have heard non-diabetics grumble about not being able to remember if they're going up the stairs or coming down at the half way mark. That kinda thing is just having 17 other things on your mind, not having slept last night and also having the radio on, not necessarily anything to do with diabetes/blood sugar levels/previous hypos impairing your cognitive function. Also, what if your cognitively impaired type 1s were always going to be like that regardless of type 1? I mean, you're not going to have a baseline of cognitive function pre diabetes to compare with the post diabetes results are you?

Also, how are you a moderator? Where have you come from?

rkbarry88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for taking the time to complete the survey. Those are all relevant questions and thank you for your input. As I am relating these aspects of cognitions to diabetes self care management I cannot use a comparison group. I am/was a moderator on the DWED section only. Thanks again.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @rkbarry88 - this is an interesting-sounding study - I don't want to skew your data by participating though, as my memory hasn't been the same since a course of ECT a dozen years ago and as such I feel this would count as 'cognitive impairment'.

Regarding hypos and memory function, a few years ago a registrar I saw in lieu of my consultant at my annual review was horrified that I was having hypos, and said - as she shook her head sadly - 'you are too young to be losing so many neurons', which I have to say scared me half to death!

:)

Reactions: sandra curtis

rkbarry88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @rkbarry88 - this is an interesting-sounding study - I don't want to skew your data by participating though, as my memory hasn't been the same since a course of ECT a dozen years ago and as such I feel this would count as 'cognitive impairment'.

Regarding hypos and memory function, a few years ago a registrar I saw in lieu of my consultant at my annual review was horrified that I was having hypos, and said - as she shook her head sadly - 'you are too young to be losing so many neurons', which I have to say scared me half to death!

:)
Hi Snapsy,

Sorry to hear that but do not let this make you worry as we can all be more forgetful when we have a lot on our mind. I appreciate your honesty and thank you for taking the time to read my post.

rkbarry88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Too bad - I'm too old - c'est la vie, mes amis!
Hi fletchweb

Sorry for my late reply and restricted age range in my project. I hope this did not offend you, the age range was 18-50 years due to there being limited research in this topic for that age group. Apologies again.

JennyWren17

I was hoping to take part but unfortunately am too late, I was diagnosed type 1 at age 26, now 32, but doctor's always seem a bit shocked by the fact that at the point of diagnosis is had 3 normal healthy pregnancies no gestational diabetes, I've since had another child who is now 3 and according to my diabetic midwife through the pregnancy I kept my blood sugars basically like that of a non diabetic, my insulin levels had doubled by the end of the pregnancy, which ended in spontaneous labour a couple of weeks before I was due in for a controlled labour, and went without a hitch, there was a couple of weeks mid pregnancy though where I had to stop taking insulin it was like I'd gone back to before the diabetes then suddenly it was back to normal, I'm not really sure why I'm posting this still, guess I'm just curious on any thoughts about any of it...? And thanks to anyone who has the patience to read this :)

Reactions: ColinTudhope