Does being diabetic affect your relationship?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
It can do. Every relationship is different.
Some it is a big part of their life, some only need a little care and attention to manage their diabetes.
Its making sure diabetes doesn't rule the roost, only in life threatening times.
Many partners want you to take ownership of the diabetes yourself, and manage as much as possible and involve them if you are needing external help from self-management.
However I've seen a few wives post here so they can help their husband in his management.

Its never unreasonable to insist on the care you need to keep good management, ever!

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My husband saved me from life-threatening hypos several times when I was pregnant. I was already diabetic when I met him and although I had told him quite a lot about how I manage things, it was only when those emergencies happened that he fully realised just how serious a condition diabetes is. My son is now 25 and perfectly healthy, but he and I both owe our lives to my husband. Whoever you share your life with has to learn that diabetes is part of it and cannot be ignored. If you have taken time to get to know someone, they will have learned about your diabetes from you. You are the best person to explain things to them. Lack of knowledge is what makes people frightened of it.

mytype1.life

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'd say diabetes has the potential to affect a relationship but it shouldn't if you are in a good relationship.

For example, I've seen my brothers get frustrated and stressed with my dad because he's frustrated/snapping but retrospectively I know that those behaviours were a result of uncontrolled blood sugars.

Personally, i have a great husband who is very supportive and understanding. I wouldn't say he gets it completely but he does try to. That wasn't the case when we first met, I'd hide it from him and never really explained it.

I'd say the key is communication!

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Been married nearly 5 years, together for 10, so its not effected mine, in any meaningful way anyway.......obviously the condition can cause tiredness and prolonged illness which can effect the time you spend together but for me the actual management of it day to day is down to me....

Jkoko56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
"Whoever you share your life with has to learn that diabetes is part of it and cannot be ignored". This!
Please don't hide your diabetes from your friends, colleagues or current/future partners. You don't have to thrust it in their face at first meeting but you need to be open.
I was diagnosed at 15 and met my now husband when I was 19. He's always had my back, sometimes knows I'm low before I do. Irritating- but on my side!
Colleagues? If the job application asked medical questions I've always been truthful. If I've got the job I've always let colleagues know in a casual way. Once or twice they've insistently offered me sweets and yes, sometimes they were right, I was low. The office ***** told me how lucky I was to not to have gone blind or lost my legs! Thanks, my biggest fears, but there you go!
Sex? I'm female. I understand there can be a problem in some cases with erections. I think there's a thread on here about that problem. I would say, be brave and ask your diabetic advisor if necessary. From a female point of view I'd say seek advice rather than ignoring it and making you both suffer.
Good luck! I'm now retired. Two children and still happy with my husband.

ScottyD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Only if you let it in my opinion. I met my girlfriend just after my diagnosis - using the 3 months to get my medical back! She's always got my back, asking questions and showing a genuine interest. When out and about she always asked if I have taken insulin when eating if she never seen be inject with the pump. Can't ask for anything more!

At work, I've flown with nothing but supportive captains and has always resulted in the question 'so Scott, can you still drink alcohol on nights out or days off?' Making a light hearted joke about it at work helps with the time!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Diabetes can affect a relationship, emotionally and physically too, but................ at the end of the day, having a supportive and loving partner in your life, to share life's up's and down's with, can be wonderful, so don't let diabetes put anyone off from finding that special person. Diabetes is just a small part of who we are.

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
Absolutely not,I've been married for 48years and type1 for 56years and have 4 children.I imagine it could if let it!

NoKindOfSusie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can't imagine anyone would consider me a very desirable catch in this state.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As far as it goes just the other day my ex told me she'd never date another diabetic.

"Lucky them" I replied :p

Reactions: Jibran_Khan

rayhigginson

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yep it’s killed mine after 18 years! Only found out I’m T2D back in January 2017 doc put me on metformin which gave me all the side affects including mood swings! The ex only said3weeks ago she can’t do it anymore! Thanks glad that the docs changed my meds but the damage has been done.......
(It’s my little girl I really feel for)
Also I stayed when the ex had all her health problems (she’s only32) most blokes would have done a runner but I guess that I loved her?
Oh well sorry to bore you all with this but you asked. Laters

Reactions: sunilk441