Help [emoji22]

Madelinelowery

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm type 1 have been for years now.

I'm 24 weeks pregnant with a 2 half year old son. It's safe to say I'm struggling

I feel pregnant very quickly with this baby with a HBA1c of 6.5% but I just can't get my sugars down. I'm not eating but still they continue to Rise.

I'm lucky enough to have a pump which I gained through my last pregnancy.

Are there any other type 1 mums who already have little ones struggling. None of my friends understand the problems it can cause being high so have no one to talk to.

Thanks x

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I’m not in the situation as you but didn’t want to read and run.

When you say they’re high, how high?
Have you done any basal testing?
Have you set a temp basal rate on your pump to try and being them down?

Madelinelowery

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Bless you Hun, thank you.

I'm getting up to 16, and struggling to get it lower then 13.

Yeah did Basel testing not so long ago and my consultant said she didn't think it needed tweaking.

Iv had a constant temp Basel running the last few days, up up my Basel rates too. Iv also changed my cannula sets to see if that helps. X

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Bless you Hun, thank you.

I'm getting up to 16, and struggling to get it lower then 13.

Yeah did Basel testing not so long ago and my consultant said she didn't think it needed tweaking.

Iv had a constant temp Basel running the last few days, up up my Basel rates too. Iv also changed my cannula sets to see if that helps. X

Have you got an appointment soon? Mine were every two weeks when I was pregnant.
If it were me I’d basal test again.

Hope it comes down soon.

Madelinelowery

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you got an appointment soon? Mine were every two weeks when I was pregnant.
If it were me I’d basal test again.

Hope it comes down soon.

Yeah, I have a 24 week scan next week and will be seeing my consultant.

Sometimes I feel like I'm being told off, and when your pregnant your sugars are up and down due to hormonal changes!

Yeah I might test again. Thanks

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yeah, I have a 24 week scan next week and will be seeing my consultant.

Sometimes I feel like I'm being told off, and when your pregnant your sugars are up and down due to hormonal changes!

Yeah I might test again. Thanks

I know exactly what you mean. I used to hate my appointments and used to dread going sometimes if I knew I’d had a couple of high readings.

Hope your scan goes well, appointments are worth it when you have scans

Reactions: Madelinelowery

Madelinelowery

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know exactly what you mean. I used to hate my appointments and used to dread going sometimes if I knew I’d had a couple of high readings.

Hope your scan goes well, appointments are worth it when you have scans

I sometimes feeling like saying ' are you a type 1 pregnant lady ' ' do you no how hard it can be '

Thank you Hun, it's a growth scan so I'll get to see how much baby's growing by x

Reactions: claire1991

jade88

Hi there I am currently 22 wewks pregnant and my little boy is 22 months old (he will be 2 and 2 months when baby arrives!) I have struggled so much more this time! I think it’s because he takes up so much of my attention I can’t always teat as frequently as I did first time round! My hbac1 is currently 6.4 which my team are very happy with! I think you should be pleased with 6.5! I feel constantly exhausted but think that running around after a toddler on top of being pregnant is tough on any woman! Sounds like you are doing everything you can! Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy! x

Madelinelowery

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there I am currently 22 wewks pregnant and my little boy is 22 months old (he will be 2 and 2 months when baby arrives!) I have struggled so much more this time! I think it’s because he takes up so much of my attention I can’t always teat as frequently as I did first time round! My hbac1 is currently 6.4 which my team are very happy with! I think you should be pleased with 6.5! I feel constantly exhausted but think that running around after a toddler on top of being pregnant is tough on any woman! Sounds like you are doing everything you can! Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy! x

Thank you Hun!

Some days are better then others and I defiantly agree with having another child doesn't help .. I always think **** I haven't tested in ages because Iv been busy with my little boy! It's a whole different ball game second time around

I can't believe how much I'm struggling this time! I'm glad I'm not alone. Sometimes it feels like I am.

My currant hba1c is 6.3% 3 weeks ago and instead of praising me for that they said that's not the issue, there're like when your sugar spikes that's what's going to cause a big baby!
X

Kateyo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ah bless you, I’m not pregnant but am trying for number 2 at the minute. I think with your first you can dedicate all your time to monitoring your BS but you’re a busy mummy to a toddler now and don’t have the same time. I’ve thought about this myself and I can see that another issue is probably that you won’t want to run too low with a little one running about so it’s a major balancing act. Maybe basal test again and then you can show your consultant that you have ruled that out and things change so quickly when pregnant maybe a basal test will show something now. Do you use libre or cgm? Maybe your consultant could loan you a cgm to let you see what’s happening overnight and throughout the day? That would really help you spot trends and take some of the pressure off. You’re doing the best you can and asking for help from your consultant so don’t be too hard on yourself. It could be that your hormones are surging at the minute and things will settle soon. Lots of luck and keep us updated x

Reactions: Madelinelowery

Madelinelowery

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah bless you, I’m not pregnant but am trying for number 2 at the minute. I think with your first you can dedicate all your time to monitoring your BS but you’re a busy mummy to a toddler now and don’t have the same time. I’ve thought about this myself and I can see that another issue is probably that you won’t want to run too low with a little one running about so it’s a major balancing act. Maybe basal test again and then you can show your consultant that you have ruled that out and things change so quickly when pregnant maybe a basal test will show something now. Do you use libre or cgm? Maybe your consultant could loan you a cgm to let you see what’s happening overnight and throughout the day? That would really help you spot trends and take some of the pressure off. You’re doing the best you can and asking for help from your consultant so don’t be too hard on yourself. It could be that your hormones are surging at the minute and things will settle soon. Lots of luck and keep us updated x

Awww it is exciting trying for a second! And when it happens your like ' yay ' and then think ' I have to do it again '

Yeah I definatly think I will do Basel testing again.
With my first pregnancy I feel pregnant a little unexpected so my hba1c wasn't where it needed to be .. they put me forward for a pregnancy study which was amazing where I got a pump, cgm and basically a artificial pancreas ( it was all linked to the cgm and told my pump how much insulin I needed automaticity ) and I think that's another reason I'm struggling because I feel like I'm doing it all for the first time!

Yeah I have thought maybe my hormones are playing havoc at the moment, it's only going to get worse X

Kateyo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Awww it is exciting trying for a second! And when it happens your like ' yay ' and then think ' I have to do it again '

Yeah I definatly think I will do Basel testing again.
With my first pregnancy I feel pregnant a little unexpected so my hba1c wasn't where it needed to be .. they put me forward for a pregnancy study which was amazing where I got a pump, cgm and basically a artificial pancreas ( it was all linked to the cgm and told my pump how much insulin I needed automaticity ) and I think that's another reason I'm struggling because I feel like I'm doing it all for the first time!

Yeah I have thought maybe my hormones are playing havoc at the moment, it's only going to get worse X
I know, sometimes I think can I do that all again especially with a toddler now! Oh wow that would have been amazing but you can do this! If you think about it, it sounds like you went into this pregnancy with better control and your a1c has remained consistent so all you need to do is look for any trends in when you’re spiking and tweak things where you can. I remember in my first pregnancy I cut carbs down a little the further along I got to try and help as well. I also remember spikes, they can’t be avoided completely unfortunately. Definitely ask if you can get a cgm on loan and can they not prescribe the libre now as of this month? It’s no artificial pancreas but could definitely help you get a fuller picture of what’s going on. The fact you have a toddler means you need to be cautious so that should be all the more reason to support you with either cgm or libre. Do keep us updated though because it’s so hard not having anyone who truely understands the challenges T1 brings and I know that I really struggle with that so feel free to vent to people who totally understand what you’re going through x

jade88

I’m lucky my team sound a lot more understanding than yours! Sounds like your doing everything you can and your highs can’t be that prolonged otherwise your hbac1 would not be so good! x