Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I recently started to have creamed decaf coffee. I thought it tasted like mud and I was blaming the decaf coffee. Over the last couple of days I noticed that, actually, the same coffee tasted lovely so I did my Sherlocking and discovered that family/carers had been buying Elmea.

http://tapnewswire.com/2012/09/elmlea-is-not-cream/

I have told them to stick to the real stuff from now on. We live and learn. Big Sorry to @Bluetit1802 for saying that decaf tastes like mud :(

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
OMG Mr Blue bought some Elmlea from a local corner shop when we had inadvertently run out of the real stuff. He thought it better than nothing. He was wrong. We used it once and chucked it away.

I am delighted you find it lovely with the real stuff - double cream of course. :)

Reactions: Guzzler

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I recently started to have creamed decaf coffee. I thought it tasted like mud and I was blaming the decaf coffee. Over the last couple of days I noticed that, actually, the same coffee tasted lovely so I did my Sherlocking and discovered that family/carers had been buying Elmea.

http://tapnewswire.com/2012/09/elmlea-is-not-cream/

I have told them to stick to the real stuff from now on. We live and learn. Big Sorry to @Bluetit1802 for saying that decaf tastes like mud :(

Which brand of decaf do you have?

I find myself fancying another coffee with cream in the afternoon but am wary of the shakes if I have too much. Wide eyed at 02:00 is not a good thing.:wideyed:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
D20CCBAB-15FE-45FC-89A1-4EA44854B03F.jpeg
Oh no! At Tesco it’s not even cheaper! More carbs, for more money!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Which brand of decaf do you have?

I find myself fancying another coffee with cream in the afternoon but am wary of the shakes if I have too much. Wide eyed at 02:00 is not a good thing.:wideyed:

The Dow Egberts decaf. Not as strong a flavour but quite acceptable. I am still looking into getting a non instant but it may take time.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Elmlea is horrible.
And when you look at the ingredient list, it is pretty plain why...

Buttermilk (63%), Vegetable Oils in varying proportions (35%) (Palm, Rapeseed), Buttermilk Powder, Emulsifiers (E435, E322 (from Soya)), Lactose, Stabilisers (E412, E410), Colour (E160a)

If also has a shelf life of over a month, which always makes me suspicious!

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Euww Elmlea is horrible. ! :hungover:
I asked for cream in a restaurant once and was given Elmlea. I complained and they said that they believed Elmlea is cream !! Brainwashing by the food companies again.

Last edited:

Dinet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
has anyone found any "decent" POWDER alternative to real cream?
(i m travelling a lot)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
has anyone found any "decent" POWDER alternative to real cream?
(i m travelling a lot)

The best I've found is powdered coconut milk.

Of course, it isn't cream, it tastes of coconut instead of cream, and... well it isn't cream. Did I say that already? ;)

But it works in cooking, and coffee (sort of), and hot choc, but i wouldnt try it in tea! :depressed:

Jo123

I asked for cream in a restaurant once and was given Elmlea. I complained and they said that believed Elmlea is cream !! Brainwashing by the food companies again.

We do my mother in laws shopping, we had on the list single cream which we bought. We were berated for not buying elmlea which she thinks is 'normal' cream.

Reactions: daisyduck

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Of course, it isn't cream, it tastes of coconut instead of cream, and... well it isn't cream. Did I say that already? ;)

But it works in cooking, and coffee (sort of), and hot choc, but i wouldnt try it in tea! :depressed:

Ooooh. I had never even considered that option, but I will do.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I wonder now if it is an Elmlea type of thing that is in those tiny pots you get in cafes, I seem to remember someone mentioning those in another thread.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I asked for cream in a restaurant once and was given Elmlea. I complained and they said that they believed Elmlea is cream !! Brainwashing by the food companies again.
Any one who believes that has probably never even spent five minutes in Devon.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wonder now if it is an Elmlea type of thing that is in those tiny pots you get in cafes, I seem to remember someone mentioning those in another thread.
I saw the tiny post you get in cafes, and googled the name, it began with an 'm' and they had taken the fat out and put palm oil into the skim milk. So sort of milk-ish, but not quite.

http://www.wenlockcoffee.co.uk/accessories/uht-milk-pots/millac-maid-skimmed-milk-pots/

edited cos I cant spell (or proof read)

Last edited:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When I have a coffee in a cafe I never have it with cream as I am never sure what it is. I always have it black.

Dinet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)

I ll give it a try it, thank u for that