Patient access

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That’s interesting, thanks for sharing that. At my surgery only 5.2% are signed up and it was easy there too! :wideyed:

In our large hospital system (in a university city on the U.S. East Coast with many famous medical institutions) we are bombarded with invitations to sign up to the online system in most of the doctors' waiting rooms. You can see why, because otherwise someone from the practice has to phone to give you the results of tests, or you have to phone to book an appointment, or for repeat prescriptions, etc.

So kudos to them for getting that far. The system itself is unfortunately rather labyrinthine (although given the complexity of health care nowadays, perhaps that is unavoidable). I do have access to all of my test results and doctor's consultation notes for the past eight years. Prior to that, it must have been on paper because there is nothing available. There are nine of ten "tabs" for the records and finding what you are looking for is tricky because sometimes it lurks in funny places. There is a tab for "micro" and another one for "labs" for example.

Some of the stuff is missing altogether, even if it is recent. For instance, I can tell that I had a CAT scan or an MRI and can read the technician's analysis of them, but cannot view the actual scan picture. I think for some reason those are deliberately "hidden" from the patient (and there may be some good reasons for that I suppose). They sometimes give me a CD-ROM with the image on it, but mostly they don't.

But all in all, a huge improvement on having nothing at all. Also I can book appointments, and they automatically email reminders. I can repeat a prescription. Finally, I can email my doctors directly. I do this very sparingly but it has been a godsend when something is "important" but not "screamingly urgent." I recently had a three-week abdominal-pain/constant-urination saga that was almost entirely "handled" with exchanges of email with my doctors. It turned out to be yet another kidney stone....

(Later edited last paragraph to include that it was a kidney stone.)

Last edited:

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
I am one of those who had no problem. I asked for access, they gave me a form when I provided ID, I got access to everything after 2 days. This summarizes very well what you should expect if you are covered by NHS England and need to convince your surgery.
https://www.nhs.uk/nhsengland/aboutnhsservices/doctors/pages/gp-online-services.aspx
Hi there I'm already signed up with practice through evergreen but I'm still not getting access to my fasting blood tests. K

Reactions: dbr10

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there I'm already signed up with practice through evergreen but I'm still not getting access to my fasting blood tests. K
I had to tick a box on the application to get my results then my GP had to ok it. You could check that you have had approval.

Reactions: Granny_grump_

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
I had to tick a box on the application to get my results then my GP had to ok it. You could check that you have had approval.
I will check this out tomorrow,thank you K

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Or maybe just take too much disk space on their precious computers. The cloud is all very well, but not infinite, or is it? LOL

The doctors apparently use the same system that I do (I have seen the screens over their shoulders). It looks like they just have much greater system "privileges" than I do and I have seen them click through the system until my MRI or CAT scan image appears. So apparently not an issue with disk space.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
The doctors apparently use the same system that I do (I have seen the screens over their shoulders). It looks like they just have much greater system "privileges" than I do and I have seen them click through the system until my MRI or CAT scan image appears. So apparently not an issue with disk space.

That 'privilege' would account for the fact that my last results for cholesterol only showed TC and non HDL when I know a full lipid panel was done. Useless info for me and the full panel results would probably mean little to my GP but that is my nasty suspicious mind at work!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is only "coded" test results that we can see, and it is up to the GP which ones are coded. It may be the other way round - that we can see non-coded ones, but in any event, it is the GP that codes them. So far I have seen all of my blood tests back to 2008, nothing missing that I am aware of. We are also barred from seeing GP notes along the lines of "this patient is a hypochondriac, a nuisance, or whatever". GPs can also refuse any of us on-line access if they think it may be detrimental to our mental health.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Update - the super healthcare assistant (hadn't come across her before - will ask for her again!) who took my blood this morning happens to work on the admin side at the main surgery a few villages away (I use the 'satellite' surgery), and I explained to her what I wanted (to be able to view my results online) and explained that I'd done everything they'd wanted me to do in terms of form-filling, and had written to the practice manager with no response, and she promised to look into it for me next week.

Well, she doesn't hang about! I've just arrived home to find a message from her saying that yes the system does allow that, and yes there were some people who had been using that facility, but 'due to a couple of incidents' they have temporarily removed that function until they've had an answer from the doctors as to how to proceed.

No clue what the 'incidents' in question were.
Computer meltdown? Patient meltdown? DOCTOR meltdown......?! :wideyed:

I await further news - but I'm not holding my breath. I mean, it's taken me months just to get this far - which isn't very far at all!
:grumpy:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Update - the super healthcare assistant (hadn't come across her before - will ask for her again!) who took my blood this morning happens to work on the admin side at the main surgery a few villages away (I use the 'satellite' surgery), and I explained to her what I wanted (to be able to view my results online) and explained that I'd done everything they'd wanted me to do in terms of form-filling, and had written to the practice manager with no response, and she promised to look into it for me next week.

Well, she doesn't hang about! I've just arrived home to find a message from her saying that yes the system does allow that, and yes there were some people who had been using that facility, but 'due to a couple of incidents' they have temporarily removed that function until they've had an answer from the doctors as to how to proceed.

No clue what the 'incidents' in question were.
Computer meltdown? Patient meltdown? DOCTOR meltdown......?! :wideyed:

I await further news - but I'm not holding my breath. I mean, it's taken me months just to get this far - which isn't very far at all!
:grumpy:

Well you are a bit nearer, if not very far, so that is progress!

ann34+

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I keep asking my surgery for patient access as we cannot even make appointments on line - we used to be able to but they discontinued it a few years ago for some reason. I keep being told that it is up to the surgery what access they allowed so I think it might be time to take it further.

It does seem to be up to the surgery. mine allowed very short specific messages but disabled that quickly, they do allow appointments BUT if you have made two online appointments (i have yet to find out in what length of time) you cannot book appointments online and to do so have to phone or visit reception. This is to give everyone opportunities, there were always very few offered. The problem is, in this area there are not enough doctor appointments, and poor hospitals. I have had a lot of health problems this year, made worse due to non diagnosis of a fracture by the hospital, despite my being 90% sure, and my GP referring me. Intense pain and still over 3 months before diagnosed = more problems, worse diabetic control, worse chol, much worse blood pressure, but how to get appointments to discuss? i have been banned from making online appointments, as have a lot of others, i imagine.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Catching up with this thread, I followed the link, and 33% of my fellow patients are registered for appointments and prescription services at our surgery.

I was utterly astonished it is so high, although that doesn't specify access to test results or whatever.

Only a couple of weeks ago, I found myself in front of a different GP to my usual, preferred one. I'd had to go with my broken leg (OK, sprained ankle!), and see the on-call GP. Predictable, I had to have an x-ray, but was referred to the cottage hospital next door for that (Yes, there was method in my madness of not going straight to A&E, almost 20 miles away).

I hobbled my way next door, and then back again, for the formal result, and on my way, within an hour.

Anyway, I digress.

Whilst there I asked for my blood papers as my annual HbA1c was due. He was happy enough to oblige with that and gave me the usual, "wait a week before ringing for the results" spiel. I responded that I don't do that, I just monitor my online access, as it saves all that pleading, grovelling and perceived harassment.

The GP I was seeing, a Partner, had no idea such a facility existed.

I think we were each in a state of total discombobulation as I left, but for differing reasons!

Reactions: dbr10

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use PatientServices to view my results, see diagnoses, view when my appointments are, and book some appointments (can only book normal appointments with doctors, so I can't book my diabetic appointments through there ...).
My GP has used it for years now, but the site is really slow - it takes 30 secs to load a page up, and the test results only show up once a doctor has put them in the system (my HbA1c from 3 weeks ago still doesn't show up, my DN told me them 2 weeks ago), it does show a lot of tests results from over the years - shame they're in a random order with no ordering available on the web page - so its easier to copy and paste all the results from the page into Excel and order it by date that way or use the browser search to find what you're looking for - d'oh!

videoman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes that seems to be a problem,I have just re-regiterd at my surgury and a simplfied list of meds and no access to test results. They scream that the "new" computer system will help ,not the patients?