Mock exams

diabeticmegxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know this may sound stupid but are you allowed to wear the pump (tubing part) in the exam or will they ask you to remove it? I’m just asking because I know they ask you to hand in phones etc

Fruitella

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, as no one else has replied yet I am sure the answer is it will be fine, Maybe just ask a teacher to let one of the exam invigilators know before the start of the first few exams if they might hear any beeping noises or if you need to keep a snack handy.
I am off to a local school soon as I am one of those invigilators :).

Reactions: diabeticmegxo

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know this may sound stupid but are you allowed to wear the pump (tubing part) in the exam or will they ask you to remove it? I’m just asking because I know they ask you to hand in phones etc

Yes, you are allowed to wear the pump. Mock exams are internal school run exams and don't involve an external exám board. If the school makes you remove your medical device for that, they would be seriously breaching their Equality Act duties.

Even when the exams are external exam board exams they are still subject to the equality act and you will be allowed your pump.

You should make sure to have a discussion with your school about it in advance of the exams so they are aware of your pump and let the invigilators know so they don't think you are smuggling a calculator up your jumper.

You should probably check out the Jdrf guidance type 1s on exams - https://jdrf.org.uk/living-with-type-1/everyday-life/school-and-university/exams/

diabeticmegxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, as no one else has replied yet I am sure the answer is it will be fine, Maybe just ask a teacher to let one of the exam invigilators know before the start of the first few exams if they might hear any beeping noises or if you need to keep a snack handy.
I am off to a local school soon as I am one of those invigilators :).

Thankyou!

Reactions: himtoo

diabeticmegxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, you are allowed to wear the pump. Mock exams are internal school run exams and don't involve an external exám board. If the school makes you remove your medical device for that, they would be seriously breaching their Equality Act duties.

Even when the exams are external exam board exams they are still subject to the equality act and you will be allowed your pump.

You should make sure to have a discussion with your school about it in advance of the exams so they are aware of your pump and let the invigilators know so they don't think you are smuggling a calculator up your jumper.

You should probably check out the Jdrf guidance type 1s on exams - https://jdrf.org.uk/living-with-type-1/everyday-life/school-and-university/exams/

Thankyou so much!!

IceLover

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i recently did my gcse's and it was fine. Dont stress about it and keep you levels in check and you will do great on your exams! :)

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just did final exams, results coming soon so fingers crossed. You are allowed to have reasonable accommodations to take care of your diabetes. Supervisors didn't seem to mind my pump so much, a few of them asked about my CGM (one tried to put it on the floor, I was like no I need that!), and one of them checked my juice boxes in case I'd written anything on them.

diabeticmegxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just did final exams, results coming soon so fingers crossed. You are allowed to have reasonable accommodations to take care of your diabetes. Supervisors didn't seem to mind my pump so much, a few of them asked about my CGM (one tried to put it on the floor, I was like no I need that!), and one of them checked my juice boxes in case I'd written anything on them.

Ah okay; thankyou for the advice!

leahkian

Yes you can wear your pump for exams but also make sure you check your BS and try not to get stressed as this may effect your BS. Ask a teacher who will be in mock exams if she can keep your blood machine, sweets and water just in case you need them, schools have been told how to deal with diabetics in exams but if you are worried you can contact your DNS and ask her to contact the school and the teacher you trust just so she can pass on advice as you have not had your pump long. Hope the pump and the exams go well for you good luck.

diabeticmegxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes you can wear your pump for exams but also make sure you check your BS and try not to get stressed as this may effect your BS. Ask a teacher who will be in mock exams if she can keep your blood machine, sweets and water just in case you need them, schools have been told how to deal with diabetics in exams but if you are worried you can contact your DNS and ask her to contact the school and the teacher you trust just so she can pass on advice as you have not had your pump long. Hope the pump and the exams go well for you good luck.

I tried my best so hopefully they went okay

leahkian

Remember these are only mock exams and after you find out your results the teachers ca help you if you need it. Diabetes is like a exam but they keep changing the questions all the time and if you tried your best then that is all you can do. When you get your results back be proud of what you have done, you have just started on a pump and exams at the same time so you have had a lot on your plate. When you do the real ones you will have had more time with the pump and can have more time to learn what you need to as many of your friends just turn up for exams not having to worry about diabetes. I hope you have done well and when the real exams come round you will be fine, you never know you might become a diabetic consultant!!

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
i hope you did well !!
:)

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Only thing beyond the wise advice and observations above that I'd wish to add is - Read every question twice and understand it and answer the easiest first.
Very best of luck!
Dave (ex- headteacher)

knipster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya, I'm doing my mocks this week and I went in and showed the staff my kit beforehand and they told me to get a clear case but otherwise, i am able to take everything in. Also, i am allowed extra time if i feel that i need to test and the teachers and invigilators are trained to allow this however I was advised to write down when i stopped writing and when i restarted just in case someone forgot.
Good luck to you!

Last edited:

MargaretR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There’s lots of good advice here, but you need to be a bit careful. Telling one teacher doesn’t mean it will get passed on to everyone who is invigilating. Also lots of schools use invigilators who they employ just for exams, so you may well be in an exam with no-one that you recognise invigilating.

Most schools have an Exams Officer. This might be a teacher, or it might be one of the Admin staff. If you ask your form tutor they will know who it is. If you talk to the exam officer, or let your form tutor do it on your behalf then that should mean that the information will get to everyone who needs to know. The exam officer will also know if you are likely to be allowed extra time. This has to be applied for well in advance from each exam board, and s/he will be able to do that (you can’t do it yourself).
The sooner you talk to the exams officer the better, because the process can take some time as the exam boards often come back with a request for more information.
I’m an ex head of 6th form, and our exams officer spent a lot of time making sure that everyone got what they were entitled to. He liked to get everything sorted out well in advance. There were only last minute emergencies like students turning up with their writing arm in plaster, so there would be a last minute panic to find someone to write the exam for them with the answers being dictated.

I hope you do well in the mocks, and in the summer exams.

Margaret

diabeticmegxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Remember these are only mock exams and after you find out your results the teachers ca help you if you need it. Diabetes is like a exam but they keep changing the questions all the time and if you tried your best then that is all you can do. When you get your results back be proud of what you have done, you have just started on a pump and exams at the same time so you have had a lot on your plate. When you do the real ones you will have had more time with the pump and can have more time to learn what you need to as many of your friends just turn up for exams not having to worry about diabetes. I hope you have done well and when the real exams come round you will be fine, you never know you might become a diabetic consultant!!

I’m waiting to find my results out thankyou!