Your a diabetic you can't have sugar

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think it is going to take a long time for the penny to drop, but it is on its way. I also think that the Powers That Be have an awful lot to answer for, with conflicting (and damaging) advice, and also the incredible power and influence of big business. What chance 'the man on the Clapham omnibus' to make sense of it all?
I think that noting that gram for gram breadsticks are more caloric than Gorgonzola cheese is a starting point, and notice how eating 200g of cheese is filling, but 200g of breadsticks are an appetizer. By the way Italian cheese producers don't like the UK semaphore system because the emhasis on fats and not total energy and proteine content
100 g of breadsticks
image_gallery

100 grams of Gorgonzola cheese
http://www.gorgonzola.com/valori-nutrizionali/
TABELLA-NUTRIZIONALE-810x613.jpg

Reactions: AloeSvea

Heretic1

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes!
Clearly I am completely off kilter here!! .... I am soooooo reassured that my diagnosis had nothing whatsoever to do with the fact I ate too much - of the wrong things, drank too much of the wrong stuff and took my health for granted and did hardly any exercise! .... it is frustrating to know that all the effort I have put in, and the healthy and fit existence I now lead is a waste of time .... it’s all on the genes, and being overweight and unfit had nothing to do with it.

I will remind my HCP of all this next time I see her, clearly her and the entire medical fraternity are talking out of their hat! - what do they know!

Off to remove my tongue from my cheek!

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yep, that meal has always been referred to as a heart attack on a plate. I cannot convince any of my non-diabetic friends otherwise.
I thought the theory went, you can eat LCHF, and just maybe you can eat HCLF, but HCHF is suicidal. So better not to convince your non-diabetic friends that it's safe to eat lots of fat, as they are bound to be already eating quantities of carbs. Just because LC may be better for us, doesn't mean normal people should eat our way. A slim person with normal bgs might do very well on the infamous plate.

Reactions: Notorious

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Clearly I am completely off kilter here!! .... I am soooooo reassured that my diagnosis had nothing whatsoever to do with the fact I ate too much - of the wrong things, drank too much of the wrong stuff and took my health for granted and did hardly any exercise! .... it is frustrating to know that all the effort I have put in, and the healthy and fit existence I now lead is a waste of time .... it’s all on the genes, and being overweight and unfit had nothing to do with it.

I will remind my HCP of all this next time I see her, clearly her and the entire medical fraternity are talking out of their hat! - what do they know!

Perhaps you might consider that in this case you may not be entirely correct?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I thought the theory went, you can eat LCHF, and just maybe you can eat HCLF, but HCHF is suicidal. So better not to convince your non-diabetic friends that it's safe to eat lots of fat, as they are bound to be already eating quantities of carbs. Just because LC may be better for us, doesn't mean normal people should eat our way. A slim person with normal bgs might do very well on the infamous plate.

Yes, you are right, but I don't ever tell them what they can eat. That is entirely up to them and none of my business. I simply try to justify what I eat, and why.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
All the more bacon for us then, eh? I love what I eat, and bacon, eggs and sausages with mushrooms cooked in butter are right up there on my favourites list.
:)

Stopit! Yamakinme hungry!

Reactions: Sue192

Mary1680

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being taken seriously
I didnt see the show, but theres more things that can lead u to t2d. Poor life style is mostly associated with diabetes but I think just focusing on that point doesnt bring us closer to a possible cure. I wish everyone was more open minded. Do u have a link to the episode?
It was last week but due to brain fog I cannot remember the day. I will have a search and see if I can find it.

Mary1680

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I didnt see the show, but theres more things that can lead u to t2d. Poor life style is mostly associated with diabetes but I think just focusing on that point doesnt bring us closer to a possible cure. I wish everyone was more open minded. Do u have a link to the episode?
I stand corrected, Michelle stated “due to behavioural and lifestyle choices “
just over half way through

Mary1680

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
It is a well understood fact thst T2D IS a condition caused by poor diet, lack of exercise and obesity - the clinical evidence is there. Whilst I also acknowledge there are a minority (I think the figure is 20%) for whom thst is very sadly not the case. I don't think Michelle Dewberry is generalising, sadly it is the truth. I am under no illusion that my diabetes was caused by just that, so take full responsibility for it and (very very) regretably accept it was of my own doing.
Put it this way .... Awful diet, loads of takeaways, loads of beer, did no exercise .... Guess what - I had diabetes. 18 months on, eat healthily, stopped drinking loads of beer, lost the required weight, and far more physically active .... all my 'numbers' are now well into the non-diabetes range ...... a story echoed by soooooooo many who post in here!

Back to the original post about people making judgment about having / not having sugar with diabetes. The answer to me has always been quite simple ..... don't tell em, it's non of their business and they don't need to know, then they won't / can't judge! I stopped eating cakes, bikkies, and rubbish (mostly!!) etc, and as the weight fell off it is easy just to say - yep, given it up, I feel better, and look at the effect it has had. Now I will be honest, it is non of their business, and I don't need to wear a (metaphorical) badge, but I was (and still am) also deeply ashamed of what I was labelled with .... so again, if they don't know they can't judge! - simples!
I agree that current evidence points to a future T2DM epidemic, if people at risk do not change their eating habits and lifestyles. However, I believe it is wrong to generalise as this leads to a climate of misunderstanding which can lead to discrimination.
The opening line of the original post stated “This is one of my biggest problems with people who do notunderstand diabetes ...” my point is that “celebrities “ should not fuel misunderstandings by feeding inaccurate information to the general public.

My blood sugars are normal, as are my HbA1c tests yet I am still diabetic due to a genetic predisposition. When people frown at me because I have a chocolate biscuit in my hand, it’s not because I am a diabetic, it’s because I am fat! Hypothyroidism is another misunderstood condition and to have both is a terrible affliction.
My sister is a thin T2DM; not quite as controlled as mine, yet no one blinks an eye when she devours a full packet of chocolate biscuits.

Reactions: Guzzler and Sue192

Mary1680

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Absolutely agree with the 'genetics, NOT your lifestyle'. It's certainly that in my case, although sitting for hours typing to earn a crust was a lifestyle problem. I think the 'low fat is good' message is one of the hardest to counteract. Small example: recently I was tucking into a full English (good sausage, mushrooms, toms, eggs and bacon) while at a residential conference, and the woman next to me said "gosh, what a lot of fat you're having!" Quite apart from the rudeness, she had had fruit juice, cornflakes, a low-fat yoghurt, toast and marmalade. I think it is going to take a long time for the penny to drop, but it is on its way. I also think that the Powers That Be have an awful lot to answer for, with conflicting (and damaging) advice, and also the incredible power and influence of big business. What chance 'the man on the Clapham omnibus' to make sense of it all?
@Sue192 , you raise a very important point about lifestyle facors which are not necessarily within our control. Many jobs curtail activity such as sitting at a computer, on an asemply line, in a car or bus for hours on end. Working hours coupled with long commutes are issues for employers and politicians to address in order to create a healthier population by delivering real choices. It appears to be socially acceptable to blame people in general for poor lifestyle choices and unacceptable behaviours when in many cases the choice in fact is not ours to make. Therefore in my opinion, politicians and industry must accept their share of the blame for poor diet and inactivity among the general population and for generating a lot of misconceptions which lead to uniformed criticism such as you have experienced.

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Sue192 , you raise a very important point about lifestyle facors which are not necessarily within our control. Many jobs curtail activity such as sitting at a computer, on an asemply line, in a car or bus for hours on end. Working hours coupled with long commutes are issues for employers and politicians to address in order to create a healthier population by delivering real choices. It appears to be socially acceptable to blame people in general for poor lifestyle choices and unacceptable behaviours when in many cases the choice in fact is not ours to make. Therefore in my opinion, politicians and industry must accept their share of the blame for poor diet and inactivity among the general population and for generating a lot of misconceptions which lead to uniformed criticism such as you have experienced.

Very good posts, @Mary1680. It is a hugely complex subject, with so many factors coming into play other than bad-choice diet and lifestyle (though I fully realise that these DO play a part.) 'My sister is a thin T2DM; not quite as controlled as mine, yet no one blinks an eye when she devours a full packet of chocolate biscuits' A close friend of mine is addicted to chocolate and sweet things, and I mean addicted: she once said she'd love to order three puddings instead of a starter and main! She does no exercise and could do with losing a couple of stones at least, yet she is not diabetic. Genetics....

But how on earth do we change the way we work? The way we commute? Almost impossible I would think/

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I stand corrected, Michelle stated “due to behavioural and lifestyle choices “
just over half way through

Amazing to see and hear folks NOT talk about food recommendations having come from governmental authorities being a relatively new thing (the 70s),, the same food recommendations that helped make so many of us diabetic. All that emphasis on exercise! As if movement, or the lack of it, causes diabetes. Nothing about the hugely changed food environment - something not determined by the individual. Very sad that this is 2017 and there is that much ignorance about T2D out there. And on your television. I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

The point of all this is that the order of events appears may be somewhat different than you describe. It is perfectly true that many diabetics have been eating and drinking the wrong things, not exercising and taking their health for granted. It is also true that many others in the population do exactly the same thing without the same consequences (yet).

Have you stopped to consider why you did those things?

An alternative way to think about it is that one's actions are strongly influenced by one's metabolic health. For much of the population, they get too high insulin responses to eating poor foods. Poor foods taint the entire food supply. For that part of the population these insulin responses then affect behaviours - for example they create hunger pangs that make you then eat more, they promote fat storage instead of fat usage, and they lead the brain to look to conserve energy by not moving much. This is a vicious circle. Thus all of your actions are indeed your actions, but you are much less in control of those actions than you think you are. That is why no matter how many times you are advised to eat less, move more, no matter how many times you yourself feel personally disgusted with yourself because you are fatter than the next guy, you still do not have the mental power to change things. You continue to think that that is because you are a failure as a human being and berate yourself , in reality it is all happening because you are suffering from a horribly disrupted metabolic signalling system. That initial disturbance is a function of genetics including the extent to which high insulin levels was passed onto you at birth. (hence the growing prevalence of fat babies)

So the diabetes diagnosis finally happens - diabetes is only really the next stage manifestation of something you have been suffering from for years - the metabolic disruption of hyperinsulinaemia. If you are very lucky, you will find out about low carbohydrates and realise that the answer is a real food diet. In practice both LCHF and VLC are actually low carb diets - ( VLC restricts the total quantities of food so much there is no room for it to be otherwise - even if carbs are a higher proportion of the total 800 calories than an LCHF person would use) .

The burning deck of the actual diagnosis, causes you to find out about these things. So you adopt a low carb way of life and the vicious circle that predated the diagnosis, finally becomes a virtuous circle. You lose weight, you feel fitter, you move more and you eat less. It remains hard to do, but nothing like the mountain you were climbing before.

As the diet progresses your hyperinsulinaemia reduces and at the same time mentally all those things that seemed unthinkable before ( Such as running ) become perfectly potentially possible. That is assisted mightily by the improvement in your metabolic health so that you are no longer receiving signals to sit still nor signals to eat more food laden with carbs.

Thus - yet is its perfectly true that you did all those wrong things originally, but it is also correct to say that the cause of those things was not wholly a function of how disgusting you were as a human being, and everything to do with the fact that we have been given the wrong advice and that the food supply is horribly tainted with things that are causing much of the world's population to follow the same path. We did not suddenly become feckless in the last 30 years, something changed and that something is the rise of food choices and dietary recommendations guaranteed to cause ill health. That is what you should be telling your HCP and the entire medical fraternity.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Having done my research, no one will ever convince me that Type 2 Diabetes was a disorder that I brought on myself and I would just love to meet the idiot who would say such a thing to my face.
Fifty years of bad science and worse dietary advice alongside the food industry's sheer greed and negligence set me up to fail. Add a possible genetic pre dispoition and what happens?

It is not a matter of calories in calories out, it is not a matter of eat less move more and it is not a matter of sloth and gluttony. Anyone who thinks such things has obviously never done a minute's research and imo needs to go away and read a book.

Reactions: Grannypat

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@Guzzler, you are missing the point that lots of people got Diabetes from eating fast food, and drinking high sugar drinks. The current guidelines clearly say to avoid high sugar drinks and lots of chips. If everyone kept to the current guidelines on sugar intake, we would have a lot fewer cases of Type2, and the cases we do have would tend to be in older people.

Some people will always get Type2 regardless of their lifestyles due to their genetic predisposition, but most of us would have avoided Type2 if were not misled by the "low fat" message.

Reactions: Arlmy and miszu

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@Guzzler, you are missing the point that lots of people got Diabetes from eating fast food, and drinking high sugar drinks. The current guidelines clearly say to avoid high sugar drinks and lots of chips. If everyone kept to the current guidelines on sugar intake, we would have a lot fewer cases of Type2, and the cases we do have would tend to be in older people.

Some people will always get Type2 regardless of their lifestyles due to their genetic predisposition, but most of us would have avoided Type2 if were not misled by the "low fat" message.

I don't think I am missing the point. The western diet, the slurry that is industrial seed oils, the food industry's packaging of ever larger portions, the pushing of carbs by those who advocate a balanced diet, the con that is 'no added sugar', Big Pharma's myth on cholesterol levels, a cultural shift in most western countries that allows children to stay indoors because it is 'safer', lack of education, lack of funding, secrecy and lies by academics who put their own ego and salary before the public good and a total absence of altruism has led to this pandemic. None of which was my fault and all of which is still going on.
Big Food and Big Pharma constantly try to silence the few (but gathering in numbers) people who would stand up from the crowd and bring the truth to the people.
This condition was not my fault but knowledge will help me to help my children and grandchildren avoid it.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The first five minutes of this short presentation is pertinent to my point, if a member is still under the impression that T2 Diabetes is caused by poor lifestyle choices after viewing Dr. Malhotra's telling speech and carries on blaming themselves then there is nothing more to be said.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Whilst all of that is true, Current guidelines say avoid sugar drinks and chips whilst also eating lots of the foods that will cause cravings for exactly those foods . Of course people would be better off if they avoided them, but they would be even better off if not continually placed in a position of having to fight the cravings caused.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The first five minutes of this short presentation is pertinent to my point, if a member is still under the impression that T2 Diabetes is caused by poor lifestyle choices after viewing Dr. Malhotra's telling speech and carries on blaming themselves then there is nothing more to be said.

I love that video. Just a shame he was rushed towards the end of it. Thank you for posting it. :) Very pertinent.

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Personally I try to avoid sugar as I know that many things either contain sugar (like sauces you get in restaurants.) or are converted into sugar by our bodies ,that the only way I can lower my B.S Levels is to avoid sugar as much as possible.
Living in Thailand a lot of Thai food is high in sugar. the food labels in Supermarkets have Thai Labels stuck over the English ones. I find I eat a lot of Chinese dishes since they cook most things in Wok you can ask them to leave out sugar but beware some bottled sauces Soy Sesame etc contain sugar. Sugar cant be avoided but you can try to reduce it

Last edited:
Reactions: Arlmy