Need a new hobby

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I joined a morris side, as a drummer, not a dancer, but now I am going out several times a week to the dance practice, to band practice, and also to sessions where I hope to play my recently acquired melodeon, along with the other instruments I have brought out again. On Sunday afternoons I go out to a folk club to sing, and I walk down there and back again.

Reactions: geefull

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
In 2016 I learned to spin wool and learned to knit socks with the wool for my neighbors' sheep. I started a second pair, but I already knew how it worked and never finished the pair or spun again ...
My biggest hobby is music composition and recording. I used to be in a rock band but we were all getting older and feeble so the band disbanded. It's tough finding like minded musicians that you get along with. I built my own recording studio and play all the instruments - this allows me a lot of freedom but makes playing live somewhat problematic - but it's only a hobby and it's perfect for those cold winter months. :)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I really like how my somewhat unclearish thread (which I meant to be about being afraid managing my sugar will get boring in time, just like spinning and knitting did) has morphed into a thread about what you all love to do! Keep on writing about it!

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you have a friend you can walk with to give you the confidence to start again ... and carry a huge bag of hypo treats for you?
Before I had diabetes, I was very active. Then I stopped going to the gym and stopped climbing because I was afraid what others would think about me when I had a hypo. With support from my friends, I gradually started back again after a few months doing more each time. Now I am probably doing more exercise than I did before I had diabetes. I don't need my friends to look after me (apart from t0 hold the other end of the rope when I am climbing). And I have built up a set of techniques for maintaining my BG throughout different exercises such as making sure my BG is above 6.0 before I start a gym workout and putting a few squirts of squash in my water bottle to stop my BG dropping.

Thanks for your suggestions. I do try to start exercise when my blood sugar is fairly high, but there's no guarantee it will stay there!

I feel safe(r) when I am with my mum, we go to the local gardens sometimes to see all the animals and plants and she carries glucagon as well as some hypo stuff. We went Christmas shopping together yesterday (lots of walking) and my blood sugars were all over the place but I know she's there to help me if anything goes wrong. I thought about getting my dad to walk with me so I would have somebody there to call for help if I need. The problem is that it's very difficult to stop and start when you're out walking, and if I feel that I can't continue to exercise after a low then we're sort of stuck. I know treadmills are boring compared to walking around in nature and seeing all the birds and breathing the fresh air, but the benefit of being able to stop whenever I want is very important to me.

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I went back to my childhood hobbies:
  • Amateur radio: building my own radio sets and communicating with other "hams" worldwide using Morse code.
Mee too. Unfortunately there are some probles fo me to build things. The rise of tiny SMD and the presbiopy of the old age make difficult for me to make DIY kits. Also living in the week in an attic of a 1800 building meant no antenna in the roof. I have a packed HF multiband verticat at my parents house.

Anyway I prefer now to learn to play piano and gardening.

geefull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Nice thread!

used to knit, crochet and make my own clothes years ago and have taken the crochet and knitting up again since I was diagnosed when I retired. I'm currently trying to brush up my language skills and teaching myself to knit lace shawls from charts (charts were not a thing when I started knitting).

I enjoy learning things and I'm thinking of having a go at some basic coding. I also enjoy walking a lot more again now I've lost some weight and I often carry my camera. All good distractions for someone who is detail orientated and admittedly inclined to be a bit too focused on diabetes and diet management when stressed ;)

Mr gee volunteers one day a week for a local charity and I may go along sometimes to help out too :)

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Antje77 , don't worry about getting bored with controlling your diabetes. You can bet your boots that things will not always run smoothly, whether it's illness, broken bones, new forms of exercise, stress or even changing seasons, there will always be something to keep you on your toes.

Things change, sometimes for no apparent reason. Above, I mentioned changing seasons. The first time I read someone on the forum having to raise/reduce insulin, due to the changing seasons, I laughed and thought it was nonsense. Now I know better, as a few years later, I had to start changing my basal rates when seasons changed.

As for hobbies, why stick to one? I dance, read, knit, crochet, draw and paint. When I can't find something nice to wear, I even consider getting my sewing machine out, but haven't done so yet.

Don't worry, you'll be fine. A few hats to match the socks for the sheep and you'll never want to stop. What about making natural dye for the wool, to match the "woolmark" on the sheep? ;)

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The rise of tiny SMD and the presbiopy of the old age make difficult for me to make DIY kits.

I hate SMD (surface-mount) components! All you have to do is sneeze and they get blown all over the workshop!

Bic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I knit Christmas presents at the moment lots of hats with fur tops and some small towels https://rlv.zcache.com/colored_knit...14b7448ae84ea7ae76699cd43_2cf11_8byvr_324.jpg just like these https://www.dhresource.com/0x0s/f2-.../fashion-classic-beanie-tight-knitted-hat.jpg
And sometimes I paint paintings
b2b2eb1693aecceaf14f4defe74315bb.jpg
How good you are at painting!

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
I find it hard to fit in all my interests. On the ‘active’ side I have a fairly large garden and grow lots of veg and looking after this takes quite a bit of time and energy each week. I now cycle quite a bit and combine this with geocaching as well as exploring our local area.

On the more sedentary and more cerebral side, like @Grateful I’m often on my ham radio of an evening and designing and making associated control systems takes up some of my time. I also try to spend a little of time each week trying to keep my Greek language up to scratch, either on-line or on DVD tutorials. Right now I’m planning my veg sowing and planting for 2018 so I can maximise production of low carb veggies.

I’m never bored, don’t watch more than a couple of hours TV in a week and find my biggest problem is finding time for all I want to do, and having diabetes doesn’t make the slightest difference to what I do and enjoy.

Glenmac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Freema your painting is fantastic.Im a textile artist and make mixed media landscapes.At the moment I'm knitting trendy scarves for family for Christmas.Saw one with a Prada label for a few hundred pounds ....thought I can easily make one in that style for much much less......"Prada" scarves for Christmas!!

Reactions: lindijanice

cockercas

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My current hobby is racing these with a load of other hobbys coming from it.
All helps to control my diabetes

It sometimes looks like this though

Attachments

• IMG_20171014_195558_443.jpg
    IMG_20171014_195558_443.jpg
    792 KB · Views: 261
Last edited:

lowedb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I hate SMD (surface-mount) components! All you have to do is sneeze and they get blown all over the workshop!
A couple of years back, I had a job where I had to modify some boards. I had to lift the leg of an SMD chip and solder an SMD zener diode between the lifted leg and the PCB. Had to use a microscope to actually see the marking on the diode, and then stick it on the sticky bit of a post it note so I new which way it had to go in. I got through four or five times as many as I needed because they would ping out of the tweezers, and then were completely indistinguishable from dirt particles! I still carry one in a piece of tape to show people how daft that job was.