b12 dropping

licklemoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
the heat
in june my B12 was 557, now its 447 (180-915)
being a thyroid person i need optimal levels of b12
i have been taking 4 sprays daily of a 1000ug spray
back in june i was not supplementing
i know metformin can effect levels but what can i do to increase
my folate is also on the low side 6.8 (4.0-20)

licklemoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
the heat
Hi metformin has reduced my b12 a lot. Went on injections big mistake as allergic to cobalt
my drs wont do anything until levels fall out of range unless i self inject but cant afford that right now

zbluebirdz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you tried Marmite? Cheese + butter + marmite is a delicious snack!
I use NZ Marmite due to having lower carbs vs UK Marmite. Australian Vegemite doesn't appear to have B12.

Liver is a good source of B12 and Folate is liver. I mix some liver in a beef stew or beef/pork mince pie.

Whole eggs is another good source of B12 and Folate.

My B12 levels six months ago was 408 ng/L. Now 722 ng/L.
My Folic acid levels six months ago was 7.6 ug/L. Now 16.1 ug/L.

Last edited:

licklemoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
the heat
Have you tried Marmite? Cheese + butter + marmite is a delicious snack!

I use NZ Marmite due to having lower carbs vs UK Marmite. Australian Vegemite doesn't appear to have B12.

Another good source of B12 and Folate is liver. I mix some liver in a beef stew or beef/pork mince pie.
i have marmite here but the lid has sealed solid on it lol but i do like cheese and marmite
cant do liver, cant deal with the taste or texture

zbluebirdz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i have marmite here but the lid has sealed solid on it lol but i do like cheese and marmite
cant do liver, cant deal with the taste or texture
I couldn't stand liver either. However, small amounts of finely chopped liver in a stew makes it somewhat tolerable :)

licklemoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
the heat
I couldn't stand liver either. However, small amounts of finely chopped liver in a stew makes it somewhat tolerable :)
i can eat liver gravy and pate but not liver so i could cook up liver and blend it in gravy and add to a stew

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
At least both are in range... my GP reckons B12 not affect you until 100!! (What!!). You wont actually be tipping the edge until about 280 and 4 on the folate....thats when (for me) my concentration abilities drop...

If the b12 drop is due to diet providing insufficient needs then B12 can be given randomly by a doc when under the target level that your laboratory measure by. However they arent good to have and extra food/supplement intake somehow is preferable. I would try a different spray or try changing to the strongest tablet in preference to the jabs...

However, if b12 is dropping to show pernicious anaemia then thats a different matter and it doesnt matter what intake of supplements you take... you will need injections on a regular basis.

I have a long history of B12 problems.. low and on injections, off and went sky high (1598 without injections or supplements) I link that to my breast cancer. 1st removed and dropped to 450 immediately, 2nd primary removed and now 210.... I am back
to supplementing again now to try and stave off injections. If I get secondary cancer, I believe my b12 will shoot up and it will be an indicator that something is wrong again.
I have limited b12 in my diet so although I got told years ago I had pernicious anaemia and then it went... I am hoping that its actually nutritionally imbalanced due to food intake.

I would try a different spray or tablet form. I also have little b12 plasters that go behind my ear when I recognise my concentration is going low again. These bump my concentration up quite quickly.

Due for another test in next few weeks so will find out if my levels have risen in last 3 months from my tablets and ear plasters...

Although sprays are meant to provide "x" amount, nothing is really scrutinised for vitamins and it coukd be that the spray is not giving what it should be...