Strange Hypo

quintel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone

So I'm pregnant at the moment, and today experienced a big hypo but not in the normal sense.

I sat down for lunch at 2pm and I bolused 10 minutes before on my usual ratios with a blood of 4.6 before. 30 minutes after eating, I had a hypo of around 2.9 that made me feel awful! I had my usual glass of juice, which didn't seem to help after a while. I then had another glass of juice, a few biscuits and some sweets and that seemed to work!

However, I've checked my blood now, at 4:30pm and after all the things I ate, my blood is only 3.7!! I'm just wondering if anyone can help explain what on earth is happening?? I've NEVER had a hypo last 2hrs before

SHESCOOBY

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Liars
When I was pregnant my bloods were dropping like a yo yo! Have a slice of bread or a banana with a high content of carbs! Sweets will send sugars up and then back down again as there's not a great deal of long last carbs! Hope you feel better soon! Remember your little one inside will be feeding off your sugars so will or can have an affect on your bm's! X

D

Deleted Account

My guess, given your hypo was so soon after eating was you had a fair amount on insulin still onboard from lunch which carried on working keeping you BG low.

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Did you keep checking every 10-15 minutes to make sure your blood sugar was going up? Even if your blood sugar seems to be increasing, it is important to keep checking if you are low (less than 4, but I usually keep going until I am around 5 or so). Since the 2.9 was unexpected and also felt worse than usual, I would have kept checking more frequently (every half hour or hour) just to see what my blood sugar did.

Agree with previous posters that it is most likely due to pregnancy.

quintel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I was pregnant my bloods were dropping like a yo yo! Have a slice of bread or a banana with a high content of carbs! Sweets will send sugars up and then back down again as there's not a great deal of long last carbs! Hope you feel better soon! Remember your little one inside will be feeding off your sugars so will or can have an affect on your bm's! X

Yes that's probably the best idea, I just worry eating too much will send my bloods up which will hurt baby :( it's an emotional rollercoaster at the moment

quintel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My guess, given your hypo was so soon after eating was you had a fair amount on insulin still onboard from lunch which carried on working keeping you BG low.

Possibly I took too much insulin, I would agree it was probably too much bolus since it was so soon after

Reactions: Kim Possible

SHESCOOBY

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Liars
Yes that's probably the best idea, I just worry eating too much will send my bloods up which will hurt baby :( it's an emotional rollercoaster at the moment

It certainly is even when your not pregnant it's a battle let alone being pregnant! I've been a type 1 for 32+ years I've got two healthy children! I battled real bad with my sugars whilst pregnant I was up and down like a yoyo admittedly if your sugars run continuously high can damage baby! But so can running low be a danger to both! The more you worry the more your sugars go up that's my personal experience! I still battle like everyone else that has diabetes however we can all do our best in trying to get that balance and living a normal life. When I was first diagnosed at 11 I already grew up with my brother (3 yrs older) being a TP1 we had the same consultant and he said to me and I'll never forget this , he said DO NOT LET DIABETES RULE YOU, YOU RULE IT, and when ever I'm feeling down and trying to get HBA1C down I think about that moment he said to me! So yes try and get a balance and remember if your sugars run high before you were pregnant and now your strict at running low in a quick turn around it can and I say it can not always, affect your eyes! How many months are you pregnant? This is all my experience whilst I've been pregnant and the 32+ yrs of being diabetic x

quintel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It certainly is even when your not pregnant it's a battle let alone being pregnant! I've been a type 1 for 32+ years I've got two healthy children! I battled real bad with my sugars whilst pregnant I was up and down like a yoyo admittedly if your sugars run continuously high can damage baby! But so can running low be a danger to both! The more you worry the more your sugars go up that's my personal experience! I still battle like everyone else that has diabetes however we can all do our best in trying to get that balance and living a normal life. When I was first diagnosed at 11 I already grew up with my brother (3 yrs older) being a TP1 we had the same consultant and he said to me and I'll never forget this , he said DO NOT LET DIABETES RULE YOU, YOU RULE IT, and when ever I'm feeling down and trying to get HBA1C down I think about that moment he said to me! So yes try and get a balance and remember if your sugars run high before you were pregnant and now your strict at running low in a quick turn around it can and I say it can not always, affect your eyes! How many months are you pregnant? This is all my experience whilst I've been pregnant and the 32+ yrs of being diabetic x

It's a tough battle for sure! I cried the other day when the doctors got my prescription wrong! So silly! I'm 18 weeks currently!