Diabetes & Osteoarthritis

michaelangela

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have recently been diagnosed with type 2. Having Osteoarthritis I take Glucosamine Sulphate & vitamin C to counteract the pain and assist mobility. Having read that taking this medication is detrimental to diabetes but not being able to obtain confirmation, is anyone able to throw some light on the subject and hopefully put my mind at rest.

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
A useful medical study on glucosamine (which is either sulphate or hydrochloride) :
A comprehensive review of oral glucosamine use and effects on glucose metabolism in normal and diabetic individuals
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3042150/

"the available evidence implicating GlcN as a diabetogenic agent are limited to rodent infusion studies and in vitro observations, experimental models that were determined not to be relevant to humans."
Evidence ? It concludes there is no evidence.

"A comprehensive and critical review of the clinical literature indicated that the consumption of GlcN at usual doses was well tolerated by normal, diabetic, and ‘pre-diabetic’ subjects."
Basically says glucosamine is okay (well tolerated) at usual doses.

"Thus, based on the overall weight of scientific evidence, there currently appears to be no reason to restrict the use of oral GlcN for individuals at risk for diabetes, or those with type 1 or 2 diabetes, or normoglycaemics with respect to any adverse effects on sugar metabolism."
NO REASON TO RESTRICT GLUCOSAMINE FOR DIABETICS.

Are you equally concerned about vitamin C ? How do you take it ?
Geoff

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Sorry to hear your news. I had been on this forum for some time when I got my arthritis diagnosis and started pain management. I was only on week 1 of stage 1 pm:- paracetamol at that time and got a very negative response from this board. On the other hand I found the arthritis site very helpful. I cannot chat or share experiences with you anyway but think the moderators here would not allow it if I could. I strongly recommend you speak to your GP about this at an early date because of what arthritis.org say on the subject. I read your post as though you know about that anyway.

This board is aimed at persuading everyone with type 2 to go low carb. Do discuss that with your GP too as reducing carbs can help but there are arthritis implications which you can also check out on arthritis.org. We may meet up over there. All the best

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi michaelangela, I too have osteoarthritis (over 10 years) and a more recent diagnosis of type 2 (diagnosed this May). I used to take glucosamine orally but had to stop as it was giving me headaches. I currently use glucosamine and magnesium spray at night which helps my foot joints and stops night cramps, which I acquired since starting a low carb diet for my diabetes. I have also taken vitamin c with zinc for some years more for immune support than anything else. My blood sugars and HbA1c results are now non diabetic. I’d be interested to hear why you think Vitamin c is risky for people with diabetes.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
another vitamin that might help poeple with osteoarthritis is Vitamin K2, it is important that it is the K2 type and not just the ordinary vitamin K(1) ..

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Rachox @michaelangela Do you know what your Vit D levels are ? My daughter may be embarking on a life dealing with OA.
It is known that her Vit D levels were low and despite supplementation remain low.
@Freema 's post about K2 reminded me about Vit D and that D and K2 seem to work in synergy. I started supplementing with D3 some while ago but only recently realised about K2, and now take both.
Geoff

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Another thing that can help is a reduced carbohydrate diet. My arthritic pain disappeared when I went low carb, and losing a lot of weight (a bonus) also helped. Have you considered diet?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry to hear your news. I had been on this forum for some time when I got my arthritis diagnosis and started pain management. I was only on week 1 of stage 1 pm:- paracetamol at that time and got a very negative response from this board. On the other hand I found the arthritis site very helpful. I cannot chat or share experiences with you anyway but think the moderators here would not allow it if I could. I strongly recommend you speak to your GP about this at an early date because of what arthritis.org say on the subject. I read your post as though you know about that anyway.

This board is aimed at persuading everyone with type 2 to go low carb. Do discuss that with your GP too as reducing carbs can help but there are arthritis implications which you can also check out on arthritis.org. We may meet up over there. All the best

Covknit - Nice to see you back posting again.

Of course you can discuss osteoarthritis and diabetes with another member. People with multiple issues do it all the time.

The forum is not here to persuade all T2s to go low carb. One size does not fit all. There are many, many T2s who follow a reduced carb, LC or even Very LC way of eating. Some have had enormous success from their way of eating, in terms of improving their diabetes, or even knocking it into remission (or whatever else you or they like to call it), and on that basis, they are bound to be keen to share.

If individuals want to do something else, then that should be respected. If you, or others feel you are being bullied or brow-beaten, the please do hit the Report button, which can be found below each and every post at the time it happens. The report can then be assessed by the Mod Team, and action taken where necessary. Reports are generally reviewed by more than a single Mod.

I hope that helps.

Reactions: Serena51 and Salvia

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Rachox @michaelangela Do you know what your Vit D levels are ? My daughter may be embarking on a life dealing with OA.
It is known that her Vit D levels were low and despite supplementation remain low.
@Freema 's post about K2 reminded me about Vit D and that D and K2 seem to work in synergy. I started supplementing with D3 some while ago but only recently realised about K2, and now take both.
Geoff
I have been taking Vitamin D and calcium for a long time for my arthritis, my GP suggested it a good few years ago but I’ve never had my levels checked!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Another thing that can help is a reduced carbohydrate diet. My arthritic pain disappeared when I went low carb, and losing a lot of weight (a bonus) also helped. Have you considered diet?
I’ve lost 4 stone since going low carb and it’s certainly helped my joints too :)

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have recently been diagnosed with type 2. Having Osteoarthritis I take Glucosamine Sulphate & vitamin C to counteract the pain and assist mobility. Having read that taking this medication is detrimental to diabetes but not being able to obtain confirmation, is anyone able to throw some light on the subject and hopefully put my mind at rest.
Dr Bernstein says that taking more than 500mg vitamin C daily can falsify your finger prick blood glucose testing. So I continue to take vitamin C but keep the amounts low.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dr Bernstein says that taking more than 500mg vitamin C daily can falsify your finger prick blood glucose testing. So I continue to take vitamin C but keep the amounts low.
Oh that’s interesting. As I said further up the thread I take vitamin c and zinc for immune support, I’ve taken it for years before my Diabetes. The dose of Vit c is 1000mg per day. I’m glad I’ve only just read what Dr Bernstein says about it affecting finger pricks now, rather than just after diagnosis, as in my case that hasn’t applied and I would have worried in the early days of finger pricking. As it stands my finger prick averages converted to predicted HbA1c have twice been acceptably close to my lab result HbA1c to think the Vit c isn’t affecting my self testing.

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh that’s interesting. As I said further up the thread I take vitamin c and zinc for immune support, I’ve taken it for years before my Diabetes. The dose of Vit c is 1000mg per day. I’m glad I’ve only just read what Dr Bernstein says about it affecting finger pricks now, rather than just after diagnosis, as in my case that hasn’t applied and I would have worried in the early days of finger pricking. As it stands my finger prick averages converted to predicted HbA1c have twice been acceptably close to my lab result HbA1c to think the Vit c isn’t affecting my self testing.
@Rachox @Alexandra100
"It does not appear that oral intake of vitamin C in any form will affect the finger stick glucose procedure. One of the authors is a Type I1 diabetic and takes a minimum of six grams of oral vitamin C a day. It has not caused a rise in his serum or finger stick glucose."
https://riordanclinic.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/89024578.pdf

Personally I take a raised teaspoon of ascorbic acid daily. That would be around 5 grams. Possibly, taking it before bed, is why I've never had to worry about readings.
Geoff