Somerset Health Care [The lack of it] UK

oobuc5

Totally disastisfied does not come close after being diag nosed [ 4 sept 2010 ] and having to wait 6 weeks for desmonds ,i then phone the booking office to see when i could get in well guess what they now say past the end of january ! so i gave up on that one ,the doctor told me i would have to apply for a podiatrist my self [ he did not offer one ] so i did , 3 weeks later =nothing so i phoned them only to find that they have an answer machine but you cant leave a message ,3 trys later over a week a woman answers only to tell me she cant give me an appointment because thats not her job ! ok who do i speake to then ? [ well the woman who does that is on sick leave ] ok when is she due back ? [we dont know ] right i will give up on that then ,3 weeks later i get a letter telling me i can go to a diy class for looking after my feet , so at that point i gave up .

Dispite telling my doctor i was having a couple of days a week when i just had to sleep, he still would not let me have a perscription for test strips at that point i did not know why it was hapening
was it to high or to low ? his answer was [your on the pills you wont die ] blood tests are 12 WEEKS APART ,he did not even offer wee strips ! so i went down to the pharmacy and had my tests done there .

As for colesterol the doctor put me on statins from the start i only weighed 162LBS and the colesterol result was under 5 ,after reading up on them i stopped taking them ,3 months down the line i got it tested again at the pharmacy it was 5.1 ,so i am geting it tested once a month from now on .

As for pals they work within the pct so i think there is a conflict of interests with them working in the same enviroment which would account for the lack of paper work in trying to sort out problems !

when i wanted some help in try to get some of this sorted out the pals oficer said [ well its not our fault there are so many diabetics in yeovil ]

the whole experience has been a diy thing for me ,trying to deal with a host of inept so called professionals who are paid large salaries with bonuses for just being there .

As for me i get my blood gluco /colesterol /bmi checked at the parmacy once a month ,any information i need i go on the net for ,as for the rest i have to wait 12 WEEKS FOR .

It would seem that BEST PRACTICE IS NOT TO MONITOR this condition according to the doctors
the main reason being it saves money ,thats the impresion i got .
Then i find out south somerset is raising money for their diabetic service ,you have to laugh !

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
As you are totally dissatisfied with your treatment or rather lack of it, I suggest you contact your MP and let him/her take up your dissatisfaction on your behalf.

We have just been through the process for my wife and it ended up with the health minister after the PCT tried it on with our MP ... now everyone in healthcare in our area cannot do enough to please us.

If you do not know who your MP is or where to find them, simple use the link below and enter your postcode:-

http://findyourmp.parliament.uk/

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
It CANNOTbe BEST Practice not to monitor any chronic condition. It may well be the cheapest way.
Still it's frequency of monitoring which is in contention. Most PCTs allow for HbA1c annually and random BGs on a once a week basis. That's far from adequate, but in-line with NICE.
As to DESMOND
not long ago, I was told that it wasn't offered at all in my area, although I believe that has changed.
Diabetes services are vary patchy. I suggest you look up your local PCT's website, find what they ofer and try to get it citing their own site every time. It might work! :shock:
Hana
PS try your local Diabetes UK group. Look up on the Diabetes UK website and you can find it. They may know something. There are some VERY active groups around
H

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have had the total opposite and also live in Yeovil. I am seeing the Diabetic nurse tomorrow a month after diagnosis, I have had unlimited access to my GP and in fact they asked me to ring in each week for the first couple of weeks for a progress update. I bought a meter and get free strips and lancets and was given an exemption certificate the same day I was diagnosed.

I don't know which surgery you are registered at (but I bet I can guess!) but I can't praise (Name removed) enough. Sorry mods if I am not allowed to name a surgery if so please delete. If you can change surgeries then do so, you don't have to stay at a surgery if you think your treatment is sub standard.

BTW I care for my elderly parents, not blood relatives as I am adopted but both are type 2 and they get the exact same standard of care as me. I believe there is also a local group that meet at Westland Sports club, I have seen them post on here.

Ali

calisto51

I had similar problems with my Doctors, in the nd I voted with my feet and went off and found another practice. What a difference they couldn't do enough. I live just over the border in dorset. The PCT offers no education for type 2, they have never heard of the DESMOND course!

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Been referred to desmond and retinopathy today, they are happy with progress to date so definitely seems as though your practice are not looking after you.

Ali

RoseRodent

oobuc5 said:
its not our fault there are so many diabetics in yeovil

No, but it's your fault that you failed to take account of the number of diabetics there are and allocate the budget so there are enough staff to deal with it. It's like those call centres where you listen to hours of "we are experiencing a high call volume" and I think no, you are experiencing a lack of staffing! It's not my fault as a customer that I want to ring you during my lunch hour because that's when I'm free, that's not earth-shattering new information!

And something I've been trying to point out to people just recently due to the severe weather we've had, if you provide terrible service in the snow it's still terrible service. "The snow" is not a get out of jail free card, you provided a worse service than a directly comparable competing business doing the same thing, and it was snowing on them too.