Bs levels

darrenjallen

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi guys. Just took my levels 2 hours after breakfast and it was 8.5. First time it's been like this. Is this normal or way too high. Pre diabetes here by thexway

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Please can you tell us what you were immediately before you ate your breakfast? That will make a difference as to whether it is too high or not. On the face of it, it does seem a tad high, but if you started at, say, 7.5 then it was OKish - it would be the 7.5 that was too high. :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Started at 5.1

OK so that was a rise of 3.4mmol/l, so yes ... it was too high. The difference between before and after eating should ideally be no more than 2mmol/l and preferably less. Your rise indicates there were too many carbs in your breakfast. What did you have?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
3 slices of toast and eggs

Well, there is your answer! It was the bread, all of which is very high in carbohydrate. You could try again with 1 slice of toast and see what happens. The more carbs you eat, the higher your levels will go.

Are you just on Metformin? Your profile just says oral tablets.

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
On the subject of bread; I bought a loaf of hovis sliced wholegrain 'lower carb' bread from Tesco yesterday. It has 30% fewer carbs. So 2 slices of that would have about half the carbs of 3 slices of 'normal' bread.

That could help cut down carbs while still having eggs n soldiers etc? It's quite tasty too.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
On the subject of bread; I bought a loaf of hovis sliced wholegrain 'lower carb' bread from Tesco yesterday. It has 30% fewer carbs. So 2 slices of that would have about half the carbs of 3 slices of 'normal' bread.

That could help cut down carbs while still having eggs n soldiers etc? It's quite tasty too.

We still need to be careful with the Hovis Lower Carb bread. It is "lower carb", not "low carb". According to the Tesco website. it is 27% carb (of which 3.6% is sugar".) So 27% of each piece you eat is carbohydrate. (9.8g per slice)

Ingredients
Water, Wholemeal Flour (Wheat), Wheat Protein, Vegetable Fibre (Inulin), Wheat Fibre, Yeast, Soya Flour, Caramelised Sugar, Wheat Bran, Vegetable Fat (Palm, Rapeseed), Wheatgerm, Salt, Wheat Flour (with added Calcium, Iron, Niacin, Thiamin), Malted Barley Flour, Emulsifiers: E472e, E481, Flavouring, Preservative: E282, Rye Flour, Dextrose, Flour Treatment Agent: Ascorbic Acid

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
We still need to be careful with the Hovis Lower Carb bread. It is "lower carb", not "low carb". According to the Tesco website. it is 27% carb (of which 3.6% is sugar".) So 27% of each piece you eat is carbohydrate. (9.8g per slice)

Ingredients
Water, Wholemeal Flour (Wheat), Wheat Protein, Vegetable Fibre (Inulin), Wheat Fibre, Yeast, Soya Flour, Caramelised Sugar, Wheat Bran, Vegetable Fat (Palm, Rapeseed), Wheatgerm, Salt, Wheat Flour (with added Calcium, Iron, Niacin, Thiamin), Malted Barley Flour, Emulsifiers: E472e, E481, Flavouring, Preservative: E282, Rye Flour, Dextrose, Flour Treatment Agent: Ascorbic Acid
Just reading those ingredients is making me cramp and would constipate me lol. I’ll pass

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just reading those ingredients is making me cramp and would constipate me lol. I’ll pass

They wouldn't do any of us any good if we ate too much of them.
The ingredients in the High Protein rolls are not perfect, but are better

Ingredients Water, 17 % Linseed, Wheat Protein, Soy Flour, Whole Wheat Flour , 4 % Sesame, Soybean Meal, 3 % Sunflower seeds, Wheat Bran, Yeast , Oat Fiber, Salt, Coloring Spice Extracts (Curcuma), Thickener: Guar Gum.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

Ingredients Water, 17 % Linseed, Wheat Protein, Soy Flour, Whole Wheat Flour , 4 % Sesame, Soybean Meal, 3 % Sunflower seeds, Wheat Bran, Yeast , Oat Fiber, Salt, Coloring Spice Extracts (Curcuma), Thickener: Guar Gum.
Haha. I’ll pass on that too. I’d still be cramping, constipated and comatose asleep. Grains are my enemy. As well as seeds. Yup, stupid stomach.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

far better to have eggs and bacon.. virtually no carbs at all and tasty..

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I prefer the Hi lo bread to the Lidl rolls (which I find too dense and spongey) although both are fine in terms of not spiking my sugars. The nutritional info and ingredients list is as follows

Typical values per 100g / Per serving of 1 slice
Energy kJ 1089 / 359
Energy Kcal 260 / 86
Fat 8.7g / 2.8g
of which
saturated 1.3g / 0.4g
mono-saturated 1.6g / 0.5g
polyunsaturated 5.3g / 1.7g
Carbohydrates 15.6g / 5.0g
of which sugars 3.4g / 1.1g
Fibre 10.2g / 3.4g
Protein 24.7g / 8.1g
Salt 0.93g / 0.31g

Ingredients:
Water, Wholemeal wheat flour, Seed mix (16%) (sunflower seeds, linseed, poppy seed), Wheatprotein, Soya flour, Soya protein, Yeast, Wheat bran, Apple fibre, Malted barley flour, Malted barley extract, Salt, Fermented wheat flour, Spirit vinegar

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Netty144

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If I really want bread, I eat Bergen linseed and soya bread, but only if I really want bread.

darrenjallen

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bread was my weakness and still is but I don't have that luxury now to have it every day.

MaryInMN

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My endocrinologist flat out told me not to eat the tasty, nutritious, whole wheat bread. That made me sad. But I have to agree with him. Most of the WWbread has more carbs in it than other bread. Notice in the ingredient list both Caramelised Sugar and Dextrose. 1 cup of All=purpose Wheat flour has 95 g carbs, Rye flour has 77, Cornmeal 125, Rice flour 127, Sesame about 9, so always check the labels.
9.8 g carbs not too high for a slice of bread. Sometimes it can help to buy unsliced and cut it very, very thin! And only ever eat open-faced sandwiches.

Reactions: Bluetit1802
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
far better to have eggs and bacon.. virtually no carbs at all and tasty..
I also have bacon and eggs for breakfast every Saturday morning, made with bacon from the local butchers (not like the Tesco stuff that shrinks to half the size, and leaves a puddle of greasy water when grilled).

But sometimes a bacon sandwich is hard to resist, and well worth spending 20g of the carb budget on!