Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I have asked this question before but I thought I would give an update on my own experience with soy. I read in one book that soy wasn't a great idea but the author did not explain why, I have heard it in one presentation but again the boffin did not go into any detail.

My experience goes like this. I had had a low level intermittent inflammation of the gut for some years which I had noted got worse if I had a lot of white bread. Diagnosis, found DCUK, started low carbing and gave up all bread. Discovered Bergen and Lidl rolls. Still had this low level inflammation but as the weeks wore on I found I wasn't hankering after bread at all so although I still buy the Bergen for the family, I no longer eat it.
Result? No more inflammation in the gut. It must have been the soy plus the grains but why Soy in particular?

Bill_Tanner

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just googled it... 90 percent of productivity is genetically modified.. Google for the health implications / benefits

Hotpepper20000

GMO is a subject I know little about. I have found an explanation though. I will now stop buying products containg soy for my family based on the information contained in this Mercola doc.

http://www.mercola.com/article/soy/avoid_soy.htm
It was strongly recommended by my doctor that I avoid all soy products. I guess it does no favours to women with PCOS.
I know it does cause joint pain for me when I eat soy products.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
It was strongly recommended by my doctor that I avoid all soy products. I guess it does no favours to women with PCOS.
I know it does cause joint pain for me when I eat soy products.

There is a part in that doc about soy affecting womens hormones so you are right to avoid it if you can, especially the cooking oils that are heavily based on soy and are very rich in omega 6s.

Hotpepper20000

There is a part in that doc about soy affecting womens hormones so you are right to avoid it if you can, especially the cooking oils that are heavily based on soy and are very rich in omega 6s.
Thank you for posting that link. Very intresting read.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have to avoid soy, including soy flour, or my joints hurt and my planar facititis kicks off again.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I don't think it has anything to do with GMO. I have not see the reasons why soy is a problem, but given it has not been in our diets for long, it is not unexpected.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dairy does the same to me. Grains...forget it. Impossible...
I habemt gone near soy in years

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dairy does the same to me. Grains...forget it. Impossible...
I habemt gone near soy in years
It has surprised me how many foods have soya flour in them!! The few processed foods i eat now have their ingredients labels scrutinized.