For the first time

Aestire

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
I've been a reactive hypoglycemic for at least 7 years (when the symptoms got noticeable) and it went undiagnosed and untreated for a while. I was officially diagnosed this latest February and since then have been trying to get ahold of my diet and routine. I'm supposed to exercise and such, but I've had ZERO energy to do so. I've got acid reflux disease so it's hard to put on weight without the help of carbs and a gym- so my weight ( after high school) dropped exponentially and will now fluctuate between 100lbs to 130lbs in literally two week intervals.
I'm posting today because today and yesterday is the LONGEST I've gone in YEARS without having a hypo episode. I started to faulter a little today, but was already in the process of eating.

This is honestly the best I've felt in years and its almost five in the morning, but I'm nervous to sleep because once I'm awake it's going to be another fight with my body to maintain a steady blood sugar level.
BUT I CAN'T STOP FEELING SO EXTRAVAGANT.

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
I've been a reactive hypoglycemic for at least 7 years (when the symptoms got noticeable) and it went undiagnosed and untreated for a while. I was officially diagnosed this latest February and since then have been trying to get ahold of my diet and routine. I'm supposed to exercise and such, but I've had ZERO energy to do so. I've got acid reflux disease so it's hard to put on weight without the help of carbs and a gym- so my weight ( after high school) dropped exponentially and will now fluctuate between 100lbs to 130lbs in literally two week intervals.
I'm posting today because today and yesterday is the LONGEST I've gone in YEARS without having a hypo episode. I started to faulter a little today, but was already in the process of eating.

This is honestly the best I've felt in years and its almost five in the morning, but I'm nervous to sleep because once I'm awake it's going to be another fight with my body to maintain a steady blood sugar level.
BUT I CAN'T STOP FEELING SO EXTRAVAGANT.
Welcome to the forum @Aestire. There is a section that deals with this problem. Post them with your request and you should get some useful feedback. Good luck.

lindisfel

Expert
Hi Aestire, We here have found the only real way of stopping R.H is to cut right down on refined carbs and then the peaks and associated troughs in blood glucose stop dead in their tracks. Of course you have to increase good fats and take in more protein, if you can, to increase your energy input.
Some with acid reflux find that low carb diets eventually eliminate the problem.
Best wishes Derek

Last edited:

Aestire

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Thank you, I like the forum thus far.
And I see a dietician and my doctor often and they check up on me, I don't hardly eat any carbs at all, my huge issue is not eating fast enough or not eating something with enough sustenance to hold me off till my next snack. I eat 6× a day as directed, however the foods I eat often gets messed up because of my acid reflux. My doctor, too, told me to lay off my reflux pills and see if it gets better with change of diet- however, nothing has changed. The only thing I've noticed is that milk stops the burn at dinner time.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey, that is good news about last night. :)

Glad to have you join us. :D

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thank you, I like the forum thus far.
And I see a dietician and my doctor often and they check up on me, I don't hardly eat any carbs at all, my huge issue is not eating fast enough or not eating something with enough sustenance to hold me off till my next snack. I eat 6× a day as directed, however the foods I eat often gets messed up because of my acid reflux. My doctor, too, told me to lay off my reflux pills and see if it gets better with change of diet- however, nothing has changed. The only thing I've noticed is that milk stops the burn at dinner time.

Hi @Aestire
Welcome to our forum.

This reminds me about ten years ago when I couldn't stomach a lot of foods especially anything spicy or savoury. I had hiatus hernia and a bacterial infection in my stomach.

But I wasn't diagnosed then.
Maybe it could be a symptom of RH! Everyone that has RH has different symptoms.

I would definitely see if low carb can relieve the acid reflux.
If you eat very low carb, you may not need to snack either.
I found this out and I only eat now, when I want to.

Reactions: Aestire

Aestire

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Alright, thank you, I'll try giving the low carb diet a shot- I'm glad to know it's a popular thing because honestly, eating has become a chore for me and I'd love to revert back to it being something I enjoy.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi again,
Yes eating and thinking about eating and planning and thinking about eating and shopping and planning and thinking about eating and cooking and shopping and planning and thinking about eating is not as obsessive as this might suggest.

Thinking about not eating is so hard especially with the symptoms and acid reflux.

Did your doctor ask if you could do with a scope to see if you have an issue like hiatus hernia or more likely an ulcer of some sort that is causing the acid.

However, very low carb should help to alleviate your stomach problems as if you have looked around, fresh and natural food is usually the best for us.
And of course through my experience, my hiatus hernia went away naturally because of the dietary changes I made.

If you do eat regularly every couple of hours, make it only a couple of bites, this is easier than having full meals. There are some snack suggestions on the low carb forum.

Let us know how you are doing.

Best wishes

Aestire

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
@Lamont D
Hello, I have an update: I did have them put a scope down my throat. I have extensive gastritis that looks like it's causing the acid to flare and is causing me to have spasming throughout my esophagus. I find out today the cause of the gastritis.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@Lamont D
Hello, I have an update: I did have them put a scope down my throat. I have extensive gastritis that looks like it's causing the acid to flare and is causing me to have spasming throughout my esophagus. I find out today the cause of the gastritis.

Thanks for the update.

Did you have a general or local anaesthetic?

Hope the gastritis can be cured.

Keep posting, I will be thinking about the time my hiatus hernia was really awful!

Best wishes

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My RH, reflux and one very scary episode of aspiration stopped overnight once I stopped eating carbs.

Reactions: ringi