Eggs...constipating or not?

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Egg bound isn't constipation, it is when a hen has an egg stuck inside so she can't lay and can't poo either.
As a former poultry keeper it used to really confuse me when people would say 'I'm egg-bound' - I would be imagining they were a unique egg-laying version of a human being with a serious problem in the downstairs department....

I think perhaps confusion is sometimes caused when a recipe calls for 'an egg, to bind'. Which clearly uncooked egg does do, when then cooked. But it doesn't mean egg-bound!

That said though, constipation is a bind*. Bummer!**

*sorry
**long day

I'll get my coat...........

Reactions: donnellysdogs

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
One more voice here for the 'eggs don't give me constipation either' choir!
Overdosing on almonds or walnuts, on the other hand, *has* had a bad effect on my stomach in the past, so you may be onto something with that line of enquiry.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
One more voice here for the 'eggs don't give me constipation either' choir!
Overdosing on almonds or walnuts, on the other hand, *has* had a bad effect on my stomach in the past, so you may be onto something with that line of enquiry.
I agree. I woke up with leg cramps last night and I know pumpkin seeds do that and as I said I ate a lot more nuts yesterday but this has been going on for awhile. I also quit coffee and started drinking broth with butter /ghee. Might be too much fat slowing things down. So for now I’m keeping the egg and strictly limiting the nuts and butter.

Thanks for potential confirmation !

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So for now I’m keeping the egg and strictly limiting the nuts and butter.

Oh no!!!! Just as you've got Kerrygold in your neighbourhood. :arghh:

I was under the impression that fats help with your problem. I could be wrong. Usually am.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
As a former poultry keeper it used to really confuse me when people would say 'I'm egg-bound' - I would be imagining they were a unique egg-laying version of a human being with a serious problem in the downstairs department....

I think perhaps confusion is sometimes caused when a recipe calls for 'an egg, to bind'. Which clearly uncooked egg does do, when then cooked. But it doesn't mean egg-bound!

That said though, constipation is a bind*. Bummer!**

*sorry
**long day

I'll get my coat...........
Great analogy my friend! I don’t think I have this problem with hard boiled or omelets.
I’ll start by having cooked yolks and reducing nuts. Brie it is! Confirmed that’s not causing it and possibly helping. Shame I haven to eat that lovely warm goodness

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Late to the thread again... and hoping eggs is not the issue for me... quite a few in the week, omelettes are a mainstay... and then someone mentions nuts.... No!!!!
Have to say I've been really quite soft recently, which is good, though my two yearly poo stick test would seem to suggest that soft is not too great either...
:)

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh no!!!! Just as you've got Kerrygold in your neighbourhood. :arghh:

I was under the impression that fats help with your problem. I could be wrong. Usually am.
Haha. Plenty of other places for Kerry gold.
In fact I just added some to my mushroom gravy. Makes it very silky

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Late to the thread again... and hoping eggs is not the issue for me... quite a few in the week, omelettes are a mainstay... and then someone mentions nuts.... No!!!!
Have to say I've been really quite soft recently, which is good, though my two yearly poo stick test would seem to suggest that soft is not too great either...
:)
So did you change nuts or eggs? Or what do you think changed things? PLEASE DO TELL!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love the phrase 'egg-bound' for people, and yes, I know it is a different thing for birds. I had a friend who kept zebra finches. Poor little things when they got egg bound.

For me, I limit my egg intake and I try to only have eggs with vegetables, since they are indeed very binding. And not just binding. The experience is rather uncomfortable and... well... noxious.

So it is spanish omelettes rather than plain, and scrambled eggs with other foods, not by itself. And probably no more than 3 egg meals a week. A balance which leaves me enjoying them rather than suffering.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I love the phrase 'egg-bound' for people, and yes, I know it is a different thing for birds. I had a friend who kept zebra finches. Poor little things when they got egg bound.

For me, I limit my egg intake and I try to only have eggs with vegetables, since they are indeed very binding. And not just binding. The experience is rather uncomfortable and... well... noxious.

So it is spanish omelettes rather than plain, and scrambled eggs with other foods, not by itself. And probably no more than 3 egg meals a week. A balance which leaves me enjoying them rather than suffering.
I bet you’re on to something. I too only ate them a few times a week and usually hard boiled with mayo in a lettuce wrap with avo. Then we started having them for happy hour with just the egg, butter, green onion and bacon. And every night. The time line certainly fits. Last night was Brie and things moved today. I’ll leave eggs alone for a few days and limit nuts and see if things change. Thanks B!

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

Do you find the way the yolk is cooked to matter? And it’s worse when you just eat an egg without other food? Same with other proteins or just egg?

I didn’t eat eggs at all for a few years as I developed an intolerance to them and the runny yolks nauseated me but I loved them. Then reintroduced them years later as an occasional food. Then more of a regular food but not everyday. As I understand, SIBO causes loads of intolerances and very poor digestion. Finding balance can be very difficult. I’m NOT giving up eggs. Haha. I’m just going to find balance. I suppose the soft or hard boiled yolk would make a difference. I find well cooked red meat ( yuk) much harder to digest then rare. Pondering ....

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Kristin251 If you are going to experiment to discover what is causing the trouble, I suggest you do one thing at once. Only reduce/eliminate one item for at least 3 weeks. Depending on the result, add that back and try the same with a different item. Otherwise you will never know if it was one, or the other, or possibly all or none. You need to be organised about it. Is it nuts? Is it eggs? Is it butter? Try each in turn but not all at once..

Reactions: donnellysdogs

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Kristin251 If you are going to experiment to discover what is causing the trouble, I suggest you do one thing at once. Only reduce/eliminate one item for at least 3 weeks. Depending on the result, add that back and try the same with a different item. Otherwise you will never know if it was one, or the other, or possibly all or none. You need to be organised about it. Is it nuts? Is it eggs? Is it butter? Try each in turn but not all at once..
I have done the elimination diet many times in the past and you’re correct. One thing at a time. I suspect egg most and maybe just the way the yolk is cooked and/ or the frequency. So back to baked Brie. Oh darn. I’m still keeping some nuts. And I’m not giving up my new found Kerry gold!! If anything that should help! In the past I only ate hard boiled and with other food so maybe it’s eating it alone. Who knows. I’ll still eat them but not everyday.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

mmariyamm

If u feel eggs mite constipate u .. add some fiber along too lyk fresh veggies .. that shud help .. chia seeds or flax seeds shud help too

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve left off eggs of all kinds for 5 days and nothing’s really changed. It’s probably just me as I’ve had this all my life. Just worse recently