Metformin and mood?

first14808

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So I've been on Metformin for a little over a week. Started with 500mg/day and now trying 1,000mg

But I've been feeling a bit.. wired, ie more alert, caffeine kind of buzz. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but is it to be expected? I've also been reducing carb intake, so curious if it's a case of coming down from a hyperglycemic state. I've got my introduction to diabetes session with the GPs tomorrow so will also be asking them. And thanks to this forum, am a bit more prepared :)

Reactions: Kentoldlady1

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I can only guess that it's the lower carb and lower BG making a difference. I find that taking Metformin and putting up with the side effects can make me very anxious and that's something that people around me have noticed. They don't realise that feeling I need a bathroom at a moments notice does do things to the way I behave.

Reactions: Debzz_

Debzz_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes ha ha
I can only guess that it's the lower carb and lower BG making a difference. I find that taking Metformin and putting up with the side effects can make me very anxious and that's something that people around me have noticed. They don't realise that feeling I need a bathroom at a moments notice does do things to the way I behave.
I’ve taken myself off 2 x 1000mg of met due to a few ‘ near misses’ .. I just take one in the evening now . Doc didn’t approve but then he also doesn’t approve of me testing either

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve taken myself off 2 x 1000mg of met due to a few ‘ near misses’ .. I just take one in the evening now . Doc didn’t approve but then he also doesn’t approve of me testing either
Sounds like time for a doc upgrade.. is that feasible? Maybe try for a more up to date model... !

Reactions: Debzz_

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I had to go to the dentist due to clenching my teeth so hard I damaged my teeth - just before last Christmas after a few weeks on Metformin.
I don't remember much about that time, but just picked up last years diary and found the entry.

Debzz_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes ha ha
Sounds like time for a doc upgrade.. is that feasible? Maybe try for a more up to date model... !
Indeed yes lol in fact the practice now has two New young GP’s , one who I saw last week .. old Father Time GP can retire .. hopefully soon !

Reactions: bulkbiker

first14808

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Soo..

Back from my 'New diabetics' intro at the GPs. Session was run by their pharmacist, and now I'm a cute patient. Or acute. Not entirely sure what that means, but feel fine.

So I mentioned the mood change, and the thought was that's due to both the Metformin and carb cutting. To me, it seemed a bit paradoxical that munching a Yorkie or Snickers when I felt a bit low was a bad thing. Sugar gives you energy, right? Little did I know.. then! Doc explained that it was more sugar than I could handle, and stop doing that. Which I have. Damnit!

So had BP checked, weight, flu jab and an introduction to the TruView, which I'll apparently be given, but won't be prescribed the strips. So what seems to be the norm for T2. They're not needed, trust the meds and GPs blood tests. But being me, gonads to that! and I'm ordering a Codefree and strips. I pointed out that if I'm going to manage my glucose via diet, I need to see what food is doing to me. And I also need to be trained. If the lancet comes out the other side of my finger, I'm doing it wrong. What more do I need to know? I've watched plenty of videos..

So I have another session Thursday to check my feet. Left one's already pretty trashy, and if it gets worse, I won't be able to use the funky Tanita body monitoring scales I just bought. I'm also being referred to a notDESMOND programme to talk about diet & stuff, opthamology for eye tests and possibly vascular for another look at my foot/leg.

But seems to have ticked the boxes from the questions to ask, and I can ask more on Thursday.

Debzz_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes ha ha
Soo..

Back from my 'New diabetics' intro at the GPs. Session was run by their pharmacist, and now I'm a cute patient. Or acute. Not entirely sure what that means, but feel fine.

So I mentioned the mood change, and the thought was that's due to both the Metformin and carb cutting. To me, it seemed a bit paradoxical that munching a Yorkie or Snickers when I felt a bit low was a bad thing. Sugar gives you energy, right? Little did I know.. then! Doc explained that it was more sugar than I could handle, and stop doing that. Which I have. Damnit!

So had BP checked, weight, flu jab and an introduction to the TruView, which I'll apparently be given, but won't be prescribed the strips. So what seems to be the norm for T2. They're not needed, trust the meds and GPs blood tests. But being me, gonads to that! and I'm ordering a Codefree and strips. I pointed out that if I'm going to manage my glucose via diet, I need to see what food is doing to me. And I also need to be trained. If the lancet comes out the other side of my finger, I'm doing it wrong. What more do I need to know? I've watched plenty of videos..

So I have another session Thursday to check my feet. Left one's already pretty trashy, and if it gets worse, I won't be able to use the funky Tanita body monitoring scales I just bought. I'm also being referred to a notDESMOND programme to talk about diet & stuff, opthamology for eye tests and possibly vascular for another look at my foot/leg.

But seems to have ticked the boxes from the questions to ask, and I can ask more on Thursday.
I think possibly you were confusing ‘feeling low’ with the chronic hunger pangs that hyperglycaemia gives you . If you have just been diagnosed then I’m pretty certain your levels are high. I was eating and eating before being diagnosed. No snickers for us now then !

Reactions: first14808

first14808

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So I'm now the proud owner of a 'TRUEyou' glucose monitor, complete with 10 strips and 1 stabby. Good news is I'll apparently get prescribed strips and lancets. This may, of course be bad news for my fingers. Less good news is my training reading was 17.2mmol. Better news was I loaded up on a couple of cabbages, peppers, onions, carrots to make a start on lowering that number :)