why eat?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I realize that I am so very lucky in that as time goes on I do not have to think about my diabetes at all. It was not having much effect even when diagnosed, it was the unsuitable diet which was making me ever fatter and slower, and as soon as I went back to low carb I felt a lot better and began to do more things again.
Now I am far more focused on the band and the Christmas dance we are going to play for, the Christmas presents for my grandchildren, the carols for the folk club outings we are planning - so busy these days.

benjo123456

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I realize that I am so very lucky in that as time goes on I do not have to think about my diabetes at all. It was not having much effect even when diagnosed, it was the unsuitable diet which was making me ever fatter and slower, and as soon as I went back to low carb I felt a lot better and began to do more things again.
Now I am far more focused on the band and the Christmas dance we are going to play for, the Christmas presents for my grandchildren, the carols for the folk club outings we are planning - so busy these days.
That's great.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Gosh, reading your words has made me realise just how very very hard we are being on ourselves - it's okay being aware of this in myself, but gosh, somebody else saying it has put a whole new light on it for me.

I've had varying shades of this attitude over the last thirty years, but I have recently seen myself become absolutely ridiculous about it. Not healthy, not healthy at all.........

Thank you for posting that, @Bluetit1802 xxx

I do think many of us are too hard on ourselves. It would be nice if others could post the silly things they do. It may make me feel better! I know I can be more than ridiculous about it. Anyway, I am off now to make a cup of tea - I have done my post lunch test and it is hours before my dinner. ;)

Bill_Tanner

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Because when you don't eat your body changes how it operates - wanting to hang on to energy reserves.
If you eat as though you have camped next to a downed mammoth in a valley full of lush vegetation and fruit bushes then there is the sense that all is going to be well for some time and your body lets go of energy stores confident that food is not going to be a problem for some time to come.
Hence the importance of trying to stick to regular eating times

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Not about fasting, but about the 'why eat?' question in general.

I'm going through one of my massively obsessively meticulous phases at the moment, and one pattern there is the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'. So if I've got a perfect line on my Libre graph I terrorise myself with the decision of whether to even bother to add food and insulin to the equation - two factors which in their opposing ways will potentially upset the line - or not.

My break was over this morning by the time I'd decided whether to allow myself coffee or not. Coffee spikes me. My line was perfect. I wasn't sure how much insulin to take to cover it as I'm doing different stuff to normal today. So I didn't bother with the coffee.

I don't mind the not having something. But I do massively mind the amount of time and energy I waste beating myself up about stuff like this.

xxx
I completely understand and I can be very OCD. The problem I have is I HAVE to eat every three hours as my insulin runs out by then and I’ll just start rising to no end. It’s maddening to HAVE to eat when it’s interrupting some good shopping or other things. My basal is long gone by morning and I can’t take more or I hypo through the night. Don’t get me wrong, I love food. I just don’t like living by the clock and timer for prebolusimg. It really is ridiculous.

Now testing a new meter as mine was discontinued and I only have a few weeks worth of strips. So my plan is to test with both meters for the pot of 50 to look at discrepancies between the two. My old one is the only one I’ve ever used. So just adding another fun game to the mix!!

Reactions: Granny_grump_

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do think many of us are too hard on ourselves. It would be nice if others could post the silly things they do. It may make me feel better! I know I can be more than ridiculous about it. Anyway, I am off now to make a cup of tea - I have done my post lunch test and it is hours before my dinner. ;)
Do you measure the milk in your tea and cream in your coffee with a measuring spoon every time like me.. and have you trained the other half to do the same?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you measure the milk in your tea and cream in your coffee with a measuring spoon every time like me.. and have you trained the other half to do the same?
That’s hilarious. Although I should not be one to talk. I weigh my protein to exact amounts, and my avocado. Just habit now. When I have something new, even fat like ghee I weigh it to see what it looks like. I’ve also weighed my vodka in my martini glass with ice! And I weigh myself every morning and every night. Think that’s a bit over the top?

Reactions: Snapsy

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That’s hilarious. Although I should not be one to talk. I weigh my protein to exact amounts, and my avocado. Just habit now. When I have something new, even fat like ghee I weigh it to see what it looks like. I’ve also weighed my vodka in my martini glass with ice! And I weigh myself every morning and every night. Think that’s a bit over the top?
A bit!.. even I only weigh myself once a day.. and I'm weird!
Well edited to add I did weigh myself 4 times in one day to see the effect of morning ablutions, a swim and dinner.

Reactions: Snapsy

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@bulkbiker and @Kristin251 you have both made me feel soooooo much better....

I weigh my food.
I weigh myself a minimum of once a day, three or four times if I'm swimming/running/paranoid.
Never ever ever have I had a measuring spoon even CLOSE to my cup of tea, though!

Having said that, I got unreasonably upset last week when Mr S saw the coffee cup I'd brought back from the gym - very unusually it contained a latte (I normally just select 'black coffee' and bung in a splash of hot milk right at the end) as a treat. I was going to count it as 12g carbohydrate and bolus for it.

'Is that for me?' he said.

Suddenly I was 11 again. If I didn't NEED a snack back then, I didn't have one. Diabolically - OMG that's an autocorrect for 'diabetically', how ironic, but sod it, I'm going to leave it as 'diabolically' - I didn't NEED that latte. Heck, I was having to bolus for it.

Mr S got the coffee. I got upset. We had a hug. And I made a cup of tea.

WITHOUT using a measuring spoon....

:rolleyes:

Reactions: Goonergal

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

I did measure my milk for a while, right at the beginning, but no longer and estimate one cup of tea is about 2g carbs, and I never measure cream. However, right at the beginning when I was testing peas my hubby was gobsmacked when he dished up and I scraped the peas off my plate into the scales and then insisted that in future he only gives me a certain number of them. He told me to count them once on my plate and give any excess over the required number to him! I have also been known in the past to cut off a piece of cheese, weight it, then discard a tiny bit off the end. I also used to weigh out a daily allowance of butter and put it on a plate. Once gone, that was it for the day. I don't do that anymore, that was all when I was calorie counting for weight loss...

What are we like!!!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Well, where do I start!

Talk about beating myself up!

When first diagnosed, I read on the forum about how to do this, that , the other, trying to get my daily food to be under 20g of carbs every day, and then record everything, every bite, every morsel, in my own home made food diary, because at that time I was eating seven or eight meals a day!
I would shop for everything, nothing would go in the trolley that wasn't right for my plan of meals, which was listed, also because of lack of funds, no work at the time, every pound was accounted for.
I listed, I weighed, I cooked everything fresh, I ate, I tested, I recorded everything!
I washed the dishes from me and the wife's meals, then go for a walk to make sure my blood glucose levels would not rise.
My regimentation, lasted for about three months, until I knew that ketosis was established, my weight had dropped, my insulin resistance and blood glucose levels were in normal range, and I was feeling better.
I believe I had to do this, as I believe, I had no choice.
There was not a lot of information out there!

Now I just don't have to eat at all!

I still record when I feel the need to or try something new.

I don't think about food much now!

My body tells me when something isn't right!

Small low carbs meals and intermittent fasting is just the right way to maintain my health!

And I'm not obsessed, just a little bit weird!

Reactions: benjo123456

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Snapsy @Bluetit1802 I do not think any of you are OCD. While I have been very lucky, in that I do not measure foods, never counted a calorie, or a Carb - and I didn't be for I was Type 2 either. The simple fact is this, be ye T1 or T2 matters not, there is a malfunction in your body which means BS is no longer controlled subconsciously, we now have to 'think it out loud'

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know this came across a little stupid, but I haven't explained myself very well. I mean more in terms of on a day to day basis. Obviously we need to replace the fat/vitamins etc, but when we eat our meals every day, does it serve any purpose other than the replacement of that fat. Does it then make no difference if we go a day without food?

A day (or more) without food makes perfect sense. Many of us use intermittent fasting - skipping one or more meals a day - regularly to help with insulin resistance and weight loss.

Dr Jason Fung is an expert in this area- see the book referenced by @Rachox above. Highly recommended.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can second that. There are many instances where I have done without a cup of tea with milk because it is too close to my lunch or dinner and will affect my pre and therefore post meal levels. I have even refused to take the dog out too close before a meal because walking raises my levels. It really is stupid and is allowing diabetes to control me.

Same here. Today was a case in point. I’m towards the end of a 2 week period of one meal a day (dinner). Was really hungry at lunch time and had to wrestle with myself to “allow” myself to eat. Settled for a bag of pork crackling which really helped get me through a stressful day at work.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hmm. I have a special miniature measuring cup from Lakeland for that purpose.

Another favourite is refusing to lick the lid of a newly opened pot of cream while preparing a meal so as not to affect pre meal reading.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another favourite is refusing to lick the lid of a newly opened pot of cream while preparing a meal so as not to affect pre meal reading.
You don't lick the lid!...That's the best bit and ensures that I'm the only one to get the cream.. hubs is a bit OCD on the bacteria..

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hmm. I have a special miniature measuring cup from Lakeland for that purpose.

I don’t taste meals as I’m preparing them like I used to for fear of messing up my pre meal tests! :joyful:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I don’t taste meals as I’m preparing them like I used to for fear of messing up my pre meal tests! :joyful:

Oh I am the same. I spoon out my mayo when I have it (most days) and have to stop myself licking the spoon if I haven't yet tested. Also I used to be prone to nicking the odd mushroom or 3 straight out of the frying pan whilst they are still cooking. I won't do that now. Isn't it daft!

Mind you ...... kitchen pickers wear bigger knickers. :arghh:

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh I am the same. I spoon out my mayo when I have it (most days) and have to stop myself licking the spoon if I haven't yet tested. Also I used to be prone to nicking the odd mushroom or 3 straight out of the frying pan whilst they are still cooking. I won't do that now. Isn't it daft!

Mind you ...... kitchen pickers wear bigger knickers. :arghh:
I haven’t tackled that yet. I still lick the spoon from mayo, especially if it’s from a new jar. Don’t ask why that matters as we pile through mayo.
I still weigh protein and know my veggies by heart and sight. I weigh my avo for each meal. More because I don’t want to short myself! And I don’t weigh the dark green on the skin. Just pop that right in my mouth.
I don’t weigh fat but pretty much use the same amount. This is not to say I haven’t weighed it, I just don’t do it regularly.
If weighing nuts means one Mac and one pecan after meals but not technically weighing them, then yes I suppose I weigh those too.
My meals are very consistent everyday but the times I eat are far from consistent. It all depends on when I get up and where my bs is.
I think I might start a thread on weighing food and the crazy things we do lol