What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Better bed on 5.6 FBG 7.1 but like ziggy I had a lie in this morning as I was shattered.
B. Nothing - slept late
L. Last slice of GF black pudding, 2 rashers smoked turkey, 1 fried egg and Tassimo Americano Grande with a dash of cream.
D. A wee prawn cocktail with shredded lettuce, (had to be eaten), rib eye with pepper sauce, sprouting cauliflower, broccoli and a few sweet potato chips.
Will likely have some raspberry chia pudding with berries later as I made a new batch having got my favourite Sainsburys coconut milk to make it.

Arlmy

Share what you've eaten today with the rest of the DCUK community and maybe steal a few ideas for yourself!

Please remember that this is the 'Low Carb Diet Forum' and that this thread isn't for low carb debates :)
So far - chai and oatmeal porridge, chicken with cous cous and lettuce, cucumber and carrot salad toused in a teaspoon of vinegar, an apple, dinner - haddock baked with boiled barley with a bay leaf and small salad, a handful of pistachios and a cup of low fat cocoa with a sprinkle of cinnamon and nutmeg. Small portions of everything

I’m thinking of having a piece of almond sugar free cake before bed

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Very quiet in here today.

So, I ordered the (free) Caresens Dual from Spirit Healthcare so that I can test my ketones. Arrived today and happily I’m very much in ketosis - ketones at 4.7 mmols before dinner. Didn’t order any ordinary blood glucose test strips as I’m happy with my Codefree, but it came with a few so I could also do a comparison - pre-dinner BG on Codefree 4.3, on the Caresens 4.1.

One meal a day continues. No breakfast or lunch. Dinner was one of my favourites - fat head pizza with a pepperoni topping. Followed by 2 squares Lindt 90%.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Still shattered so off to bed in a mo
Bed 7.2 last night FBG 6.1 (probably the late Chia pud but was on the drop when I went to bed. Incredibly busy day again so was really late eating
B. Nothing
L. Nothing
D. Very late dinner and a real mish mash of leftovers
1/4 (yes I do mean that) ox tongue, 1 Slice rare roast beef. Shredded lettuce, 4 tre colori tomatoes, 1/2 avocado, 2 teaspoons coronation chicken, 2 teaspoons Jalapeno coleslaw, 2 teaspoons egg mayonnaise. Chia Pudding and raspberries. 2 bits 90% lindt.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Very quiet in here today.

So, I ordered the (free) Caresens Dual from Spirit Healthcare so that I can test my ketones. Arrived today and happily I’m very much in ketosis - ketones at 4.7 mmols before dinner. Didn’t order any ordinary blood glucose test strips as I’m happy with my Codefree, but it came with a few so I could also do a comparison - pre-dinner BG on Codefree 4.3, on the Caresens 4.1.

One meal a day continues. No breakfast or lunch. Dinner was one of my favourites - fat head pizza with a pepperoni topping. Followed by 2 squares Lindt 90%.
Let me know how it goes. Was considering something for ketones so looking forward To hear how it works.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Still shattered so off to bed in a mo
Bed 7.2 last night FBG 6.1 (probably the late Chia pud but was on the drop when I went to bed. Incredibly busy day again so was really late eating
B. Nothing
L. Nothing
D. Very late dinner and a real mish mash of leftovers
1/4 (yes I do mean that) ox tongue, 1 Slice rare roast beef. Shredded lettuce, 4 tre colori tomatoes, 1/2 avocado, 2 teaspoons coronation chicken, 2 teaspoons Jalapeno coleslaw, 2 teaspoons egg mayonnaise. Chia Pudding and raspberries. 2 bits 90% lindt.
Oh and 7 fresh anchovies - told you it was weird.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Let me know how it goes. Was considering something for ketones so looking forward To hear how it works.

Will do. Strips are £1 a pop, so only bought 10 but another 2 come free with the meter. I’ve posted in the Keto thread asking for advice on testing times, but no response so far.

Like the sound of your “mish mash” dinner.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all.

Sunday ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and xylitol. A wiener sausage.

Lunch: Tuna sashimi with homemade dip (lime, soy sauce, low-carb honey and mustard). A generous serving of guacamole.

Dinner: Two small slices of homemade low-carb cheesecake, two generous slices of red-beet quiche, a low-carb roll with mayonnaise and shrimps. Half a glass of white wine.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Monday ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with milk and xylitol. A slice of low-carb cheesecake.

Lunch: Nothing.

Snack: About four or five squares of chocolate (90% and 85% cocoa content).

Dinner: Swede mash with potato fibers, sour cream and butter. Sliced lamb in mushrooms, onions, garlic, and chives. Sauce Bernaise. A cornsalad with Caesar's dressing and parmesan. One and a half glasses of white wine and half a glass of red wine. I have to say, I definitely prefer the red.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Will do. Strips are £1 a pop, so only bought 10 but another 2 come free with the meter. I’ve posted in the Keto thread asking for advice on testing times, but no response so far.

Like the sound of your “mish mash” dinner.
And I thought normal strips were pricey when I ran out. Thing is , I know I should be in ketosis but I'm not sure I am. I thought about keto sticks but I've been low carb so long I'm not sure it would work.
The mish mash was quite nice. Had a lot of bits to use up (Still do) but tasted surprisingly nice. I'd made casseroled lamb chops for the boys but then didn't fancy anything hot having gone all day without eating.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And I thought normal strips were pricey when I ran out. Thing is , I know I should be in ketosis but I'm not sure I am. I thought about keto sticks but I've been low carb so long I'm not sure it would work.
The mish mash was quite nice. Had a lot of bits to use up (Still do) but tasted surprisingly nice. I'd made casseroled lamb chops for the boys but then didn't fancy anything hot having gone all day without eating.

It is good to know that I am in ketosis. Last night's reading was a bit high. Checked again this morning after a cup of tea with cream and was 2.5 - which falls within Diet Doctor's "optimal" range, so happy with that.

Plan is to test every now and then - and not get addicted to testing! At least the meter and all accessories (including spare batteries) are free.

Reactions: Brunneria

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
BGs definitely better again - bed 5.5 FBG 5.7 and the highest DP got to was 7.7 so a lot better. Currently sitting at 4.8.
B. Nothing
L. Had 'that omelette' again with 2 turkey rashers, mushrooms, 4 Santini tomatoes and courgetti in it. Don't know why but that omelette actually lowers BG. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream.
D. Spicy pork ribs (peri peri rub) another had to be eaten. Probably have a tablespoon of Jalopena coleslaw with it.
Last of the raspberry chia pudding with raspberries.

I really can't much be bothered cooking currently. Need to get back into the way of planning meals again.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening All,

We are away for a few days, self catering, which means that food has been a bit different.
I started up a Libre sensor for the trip, and so far blood glucose is on track.

I am skipping breakfast, or having a variation of bacon and egg and mushroom and tomato
Then we are eating out at some point (lunch or dinner). This is proving interesting, because most places only have one or less than one possible option when you are going for gluten and dairy free. Low carb is turning out to mean only eating a few of the chips. lol.
So far I have had a bunless cheeseless burger with salad and a few chips. also gammon, egg, a few chips and please hold the honey mustard sauce. Oh, and today was lamb shank with steamed veg and 1/3 of the mash portion (I am determinedly pretending that the mash didn't have any milk in it).

Then if we need to eat anything else, it is either a little pulled pork, coleslaw and salad or some chicken/veg curry (all homemade).

So far, neither of us are seeing any benefits at all to this dairy free thing, so it may be quite a short elimination diet!!!

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Been a pretty normal day for me so far - no breakfast - 10:30 am handful of Pistachios - lunch - Greek Salad - not sure what I'll have tonight - maybe some home made soup if it's ready.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening. Came to post earlier then got distracted by the Pound Shop Low Carb Purchases and Why Eat threads (worth a read) and nearly missed my evening rowing class.

Stressful day at work with blood sugars up most of the day. Also broke my one meal a day streak. No breakfast but was very hungry at lunch time and after a long debate with myself decided to eat a bag of pork crunch. Dinner was 2 Waitrose free range Cumberland sausages, 2 rashers bacon and 1 Birds Eye burger. Followed by raspberries and cream and 4 squares Lindt 90%.

A 15 minute brisk walk to the HIIT rowing class dropped BG by 0.3mmols and to my amazement a test immediately after the 30 minute session revealed the exact same reading - usually intense exercise sends me up. On to a winner there.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 5.8 FBG 6.4 and DP only hit 7 this morning. Busy day and Didn't sleep well.
B. Fried egg, 3 smoked turkey rashers, 4 cherry tomatoes and sliced mushroom. Hovis lower carb seeded with lurpack. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream.
L. Nothing
D. Mussels in white wine and garlic and currently enjoying 2 bits Lindt 90% Excellence and a large Bailey's which is warming me up.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B - handful of roasted almonds
L - some cold ro ast lamb with watercress
D - cod loin ooked in foil with courgette, mushrooms, mange tout, chiili and garlic
Drinks - 2 coffees with almond milk 2 litres sparkly water with 150ml freshly squeezed orange juice

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning. Well my body really started complaining about lack of food yesterday. Was sooo hungry and decided to eat accordingly.

Mid-morning snack - started out thinking it would be an early lunch.....bag pork crunch, 30g almonds

Lunch - 2 eggs, 2 rashers bacon, 1 sausage at cafe round the corner from work

Dinner - kippers followed by chocolate chia pudding with cream.

Oh and I almost forgot, had a 40g bar of coop 85% chocolate on my way home.

Made up for all the eating with my first session with a personal trainer at the gym. Feeling surprisingly un-sore this morning.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning. Well my body really started complaining about lack of food yesterday. Was sooo hungry and decided to eat accordingly.

Mid-morning snack - started out thinking it would be an early lunch.....bag pork crunch, 30g almonds

Lunch - 2 eggs, 2 rashers bacon, 1 sausage at cafe round the corner from work

Dinner - kippers followed by chocolate chia pudding with cream.

Oh and I almost forgot, had a 40g bar of coop 85% chocolate on my way home.

Made up for all the eating with my first session with a personal trainer at the gym. Feeling surprisingly un-sore this morning.
I was about to go wow how did you eat 40g of 85% until my brain kicked in and calculated that my 2 squares of 90% is 20g so the vision of a large bar of chocolate vanished Having said that I still can't eat more than 20g of 90%. Kept meaning to ask you Montezuma Intense is 100% - not sure about 100% . How is it?

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all.

Tuesday ...

Breakfast: Two cups of double decaffeinated espressos with cream and xylitol. A slice of red-beet quiche and a small slice of low-carb cheese cake.

Lunch: A low-carb roll with butter. Some guacamole.

Dinner: Three small zucchini-potato-fiber fritters, left-over sliced lamb, mushrooms, onion, garlic and sour cream. A cornsalad with Caesar's dressing and parmesan. One tablespoon of low-carb chocolate mousse with one table spoon of whipped cream. One glass of red wine.

@Goonergal -- I found that when I started eating more after I was diagnosed with metabolic acidosis in September (probably due to too much exercise and not enough food) that I started losing weight (or at least fat) again (--> I don't own a scale and judge by how my clothes fit). So, surprisingly eating more can sometimes have an unexpected effect.

Reactions: Goonergal