Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Please be aware that there is no such thing as an essential carbohydrate. It just does not exist.
The constant drip feeding of carbs by snacking will not aid T2 Diabetes management.

Reactions: Bill_Tanner

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I want to share a link

Thank you.

that will let all diabetes know the common mistakes to avoid.

I'm pleased to say that most of those things are cast in stone, I say most, disagree with "we need carbs", I'm down to 40 gms and I know much less is possible without any effects.

Having followed a very low calorie diet for 6 weeks, even protein isn't essential, or should I just say that for those six weeks I had no dairy, meat, fish or chicken and lived to tell the tale without any obvious ill effects.

It has useful information.

Some of it. I think I've been on this journey for so long that a lot of things are second nature, especially avoiding burger and chips. Perhaps some need reminding.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I go against the tide with snacking. I am of the generation where no-one snacked other than an odd biscuit sometimes. We had our 3 meals a day plus a drink and maybe a biscuit at bedtime. No-one grazed in those days. My husband is the same, as is our daughter. My adult grandchildren are different. They are grazers. It seems to be the done thing to do these days. I cannot for the life of me understand why. If we eat sufficient nutrients in our regular meals there is no biological need for it.

I will go and hide under a chair now ..... ;)

Reactions: donnellysdogs

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I go against the tide with snacking. I am of the generation where no-one snacked other than an odd biscuit sometimes. We had our 3 meals a day plus a drink and maybe a biscuit at bedtime. No-one grazed in those days. My husband is the same, as is our daughter. My adult grandchildren are different. They are grazers. It seems to be the done thing to do these days. I cannot for the life of me understand why. If we eat sufficient nutrients in our regular meals there is no biological need for it.

For my surgery 2 snacks have to be part of my day. 4-5 almonds are a snack. Milk in coffee could be construed as a snack? Maybe if a small or half a latte.
I'm going for almonds or peanuts and maybe few slices of ham or similiar.
I have to eat every 3-4hrs and I'm awake sometimes for a long day but sleep pattern will be nudged too once 4yr old sleeps throughout EVERY night.
This is a hoop I'm willing to jump through as I know the benefit outweighs ignoring my obesity.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Any room under the sofa?
I have same philosophy.
If I know I am going to be out and about and possibly not able to have a meal I carry with me a small tub of almonds, and a few individually wrapped portions of cheese. Not as snack, I hasten to add, as a meal substitute. Don't do grazing, it is perhaps due to upbringing. Meals, and if you don't eat at a particular mealtime, you wait for the next.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
For my surgery 2 snacks have to be part of my day. 4-5 almonds are a snack. Milk in coffee could be construed as a snack? Maybe if a small or half a latte.
I have to eat every 3-4hrs and I'm awake sometimes for a long day but sleep pattern will be nudged too once 4yr old sleeps throughout EVERY night.
This is a hoop I'm willing to jump through as I know the benefit outweighs ignoring my obesity.

What is the reason for eating every 3-4 hours? How does it help prepare for bariatric surgery? Genuine questions.

I wouldn't count a few drops of milk in tea/coffee a snack. . Its a drink to me. Half a pint of milk maybe

Reactions: ickihun

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What is the reason for eating every 3-4 hours? How does it help prepare for bariatric surgery? Genuine questions.

I wouldn't count a few drops of milk in tea/coffee a snack. . Its a drink to me. Half a pint of milk maybe
Is it preparation for the post surgery smaller stomach size? People I have spoken to who have had the surgery told me that they can only eat a few teaspoonsful of pureed food at a time, and cannot drink with the food, having to space food and drink in small amounts at regular intervals.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@Pipp and @Bluetit1802
Completely agree no need to snack..
getting a bit crowed under here..
I think my meals will be snacks in the future so the 2 snacks will be one almond or 15ml of milk etc. With the stomach the side of an egg even a egg will be very very filling......bring it on. It should save my food shopping bill a fortune.
With a new (sort of new) stomach I will have to eat regularly. More than now, for sure.
I'm getting excited about the whole thing now.
Hoping for no to very very little insulin for the future. I need metformin for pcos anyway so maybe one day I'll have no evidence of pcos too.
Of course it could go not as successful but it will still be better than now or a lifetime of disappointment by dieting and stressing about why I'm not losing. Its guaranteed. I'd be able to concentrate on maintenance instead. A life more similiar to people not obese.
I think obese people should get more credit for suffering with all that comes with it. Instead of shame or having to apologise for their weight.
I'm sick of explaining to people I'm losing weight so certain foods ADD to my weight, so I'll pass.
One day I won't have to. My family and friends will know my journey but a stranger won't see this obese lass anymore.
Job interviews will be interesting. A fresh start. :) :) :)
With 2 snacks too.
I guess to a stranger it may look like grazing if eating so regular, especially if at work all day and a bit overtime.
I'm wondering now.

I think I would think oh she will put all her weight back on, eating like that. I've seen a few none obese people eating well. They have such good metabolisms. Some.

Debzz_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes ha ha
My friend had bariatric surgery and was not allowed to eat meat for several weeks after her surgery. Good luck to you

Bill_Tanner

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

@Bluetit1802 please buy a bigger sofa there is little room under there for yet another in agreement!

Debzz_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes ha ha
Well I’m a snacker ... or grazer ... I can’t eat very big meals of late so I eat smaller amounts but a little more often . Apart from mornings when I’m at work .. so I will sit on the sofa ha ha

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We’ve been trained to believe that being hungry has to be ‘fixed’.

A mars a day, once you pop, made to make your mouth water, six slices a day is the well balanced way, eating a Milky Way before dinner etc etc etc

Let’s hope the message gets through eventually, let’s face it, 10 years ago us low carbers we’re going to die of all sorts of deficiencies.