Type 1 omeprazole and possible effects on blood sugar?

LewisK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,

This is my first post on this website and I'm just looking for some advice, about 5 days ago I was given omeprazol for acid reflux, everything was going okay and had no side effects, however yesterday and today my blood sugars drop very quickly with me requiring little to no rapid insulin. I spoke to my head GP At the surgery today and he said that these tablets shouldn't have any effect on my sugars at all, spoke to the DSNs and they said they couldn't help answer my question and to come on here and seek advice. Has anyone taken these tablets before and had similar effects, and if so what did they do to sort it?

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I take them and have been for all the time I've been diabetic. That's 6 years. My levels do swing around, but one of the constants is the omeprozole, so for me I doubt there is any influence.

LewisK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I take them and have been for all the time I've been diabetic. That's 6 years. My levels do swing around, but one of the constants is the omeprozole, so for me I doubt there is any influence.
After some research I've seen that many people don't have a problem with this tablet and low sugar levels, I just find it a strange coincident that my sugars drop like this after I've started taken them.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
I have been taking this tablet for around 12 years with no BG effect.
diagnosed type 1 for 45 years

welcome to the forum !! :)

Last edited:

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You must take it as you find it. I'm more and more cynical about conventional drugs and their manufacturers and can believe pretty much anything. Why not stop them for a while and see what happens?

LewisK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You must take it as you find it. I'm more and more cynical about conventional drugs and their manufacturers and can believe pretty much anything. Why not stop them for a while and see what happens?
Yeah I must admit I don't enjoy taking prescription stuff unless absolutely necessary, this is the second day of not having them and no change at all sugars are still being a challenge, I've been going through the honey moon stage this year even though my diagnosis was last year but the past 2/3 months they've evened out and been easy to control, just annoyed they've flared up again.

Reactions: himtoo

paula121s

Hi Lewis k, I have been on omeprazole for years and not any problems as a result. Have you done anything new or eaten anything different? There may be a simple explanation for the drop.

LewisK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been taking this tablet for around 12 years with no BG effect.
diagnosed type 1 for 45 years

welcome to the forum !! :)
I think it may just be an unfortunate coincidence that my sugars have decided to drop this bad while taking the tablets, been honey mooning all year even though diagnosis was last year February, they've been nice to control for a few months, unfortunate they've decided to be a pain again.

LewisK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Lewis k, I have been on omeprazole for years and not any problems as a result. Have you done anything new or eaten anything different? There may be a simple explanation for the drop.
Apart from some minor weight lifting I've done nothing out the ordinary, eating is the same as usual. I did forget to mention I've been honey mooning this year, however I've had a 2/3 month spell of my sugars being easy to manage, could be them going out of control again?

Reactions: paula121s

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
this is said with the greatest amount of kindness and experience I have -- welcome to our world !!!!!!!!:eek:

just wait till you get a doctor blaming your diabetes for something you are positive is not related.

the forum is a great place for like minded support -- hopefully you can stick around to share your experience .

all the best !!

LewisK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
this is said with the greatest amount of kindness and experience I have -- welcome to our world !!!!!!!!:eek:

just wait till you get a doctor blaming your diabetes for something you are positive is not related.

the forum is a great place for like minded support -- hopefully you can stick around to share your experience .

all the best !!
Hahaha it's a challenging world I won't lie.

Ahhh yes those pesky nurses do like to do that from time to time, I often have to remind them that I am living with it 24/7!!

Yep am already finding out information I never even knew about! Wish I joined sooner though.

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have posted this before. A neighbour, no significant illness or disease has been taking PPI s for years. Still suffered reflux though. He eventually went to a nutritionist who thoroughly analysed his diet and life style and after the recommended changes he has stopped PPI s and no reflux.

Makes you think.

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
I know this post is already over a year old but I was looking for an answer to this out of curiosity. I have Gestational Diabetes and also have a pack of Omeprazole, which I have just started taking (for heartburn as well as possible prevention of preeclampsia as current studies are hoping for), but I wondered whether Omeprazole would affect my blood glucose - my fasting level are just slightly high (under the new numbers I scrape in with a diagnosis when fasting comes back at 5.1 mmol / L and so it's only mild. ) But I have just read this study (Google: "Improved Diabetes Control and Pancreatic Function in a Type 2 Diabetic after Omeprazole Administration")
which talks about Omeprazole lowering one man's fasting blood glucose when he wasn't responding well to other diabetes medication. And on this list, low blood sugar is one of the rare side effects of Omeprazole. (Google "Omeprazole Side Effects by Likelihood and Severity")
So it's possibly that it could affect blood glucose levels, but you would have to be lucky if you were hoping your heartburn medication will negate your need for insulin shots. Would be good if it worked though!

Martinmgs

Hi just reading your post regarding omeprazole affecting you sugar levels, l was put onto omeprazole 2 weeks ago, the same time as getting a libre 2 sensor and my bloods are all over the place. Been type 1 for 35 years so can pretty much control things but I have had to reduce my background lantus by about30% and my fast acting by about the same. Getting extreme highs and crashing lows, how are you now and can you give any advice please? Regards Martin