Keeping your toes warm

zbluebirdz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
With winter arriving now, my toes are feeling the effect of the chilly temperatures.

What do you use to keep your toes feeling warm and avoiding the chilblains at the same time?

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
With winter arriving now, my toes are feeling the effect of the chilly temperatures.

What do you use to keep your toes feeling warm and avoiding the chilblains at the same time?
Hot water bottle

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Merino wool (about the finest wool you'll find) socks do make a big improvement on retention of heat, as does using merino wool as a base layer in upper and lower body.
I cycle quite a bit and merino socks plus another pair keep my tootsies fairly warm in low temps, but when it falls below about 3 degrees my feet still get cold. Last week I discovered tha Lidl had heated insoles at £1.28 so bought a few pairs and they are absolutely brilliant. They are single use only but generate heat for well over 6 hours and on Monday they kept my tootsies warm on a ride of 18 miles in temperatures of about 3.0C with a wind chill reducing that to around zero C.

Reactions: zbluebirdz

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am pretty much constantly cold! Socks, shoes, blankets over your feet/legs if you are sitting or lying down, heaters, and hot packs (not constantly! Just for say an hour at a time). Keep your legs warm with long socks, or thick socks, and with a nice warm pair of long trousers.

Reactions: Struma

Debzz_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes ha ha
Hot water bottle
Have to be careful using a hot water bottle , can cause chilblains and if your circulation isn’t good can burn , as a carer we are not allowed to give them to anyone with diabetes or in fact to anyone at all

Debzz_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes ha ha

Pure wool socks are the best - or walking hiking socks . If you can’t get your tootsies warm put a thin pair of socks on then a thicker pair over the top

Reactions: Pura Vida

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ugly boots. Emus or Uggs.
I live in them from late Oct to early May.
Definitely worth the investment (and a pair IS an investment)
There are less expensive brands, but I have found they need to be genuine fleece. The synthetic fur linings are worse than useless. They flatten, they don’t insulate well, and they smell...

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Am I odd? (don't answer that!) but my tootsies are always warm. I do wear socks in the winter, and in the house always have my cosy slippers on. I don't understand why because the rest of me gets cold quite easily.

Reactions: Granny_grump_

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
GOT to be true sheepskin, if not, chuck them out. Air 'em, and one trick with Aussie uggs. Stick a hair dryer in them for 5 mins (low setting) and then stick 'em on

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Have to be careful using a hot water bottle , can cause chilblains and if your circulation isn’t good can burn , as a carer we are not allowed to give them to anyone with diabetes or in fact to anyone at all
Hi @Debzz totally understand where your coming from especially with your job my hot water bottle is covered in a lovely thick jacket and I only use it to warm the bed before I get in. But I've no circulation problems and I'm always careful with my feet, Have a good day and nice talking with you ! K

Reactions: Debzz_

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Am I odd? (don't answer that!) but my tootsies are always warm. I do wear socks in the winter, and in the house always have my cosy slippers on. I don't understand why because the rest of me gets cold quite easily.
@Bluetit1802 I'm always cold usually warm my feet on hubby, but he's gone on night shift so a covered hot water bottle it is or I would never get any sleep.!K even my sheepskin slippers and central heating on 22 I'm cold Jamies and winter dressing gown on, I may start warming bodily just before bed but feet are like ice! K

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Funnily enough, freezing cold feet was my only complaint before LCHF. Once my glucose levels came down the problem disappeared. I am sat in a warm living room with just my slippers on, this time last year there was nothing I could to warm my feet and ankles up. Thick socks, multiple layers and even an electric blanket set to medium did not help.

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Funnily enough, freezing cold feet was my only complaint before LCHF. Once my glucose levels came down the problem disappeared. I am sat in a warm living room with just my slippers on, this time last year there was nothing I could to warm my feet and ankles up. Thick socks, multiple layers and even an electric blanket set to medium did not help.
I'm trying to picture you sat in your living room with just your slippers on! Haha! Only joking.
Sorry sent before I'd finished, I have always felt the cold when winter starts but I've just got over a cold and a huge weight loss with LCHF hasn't made things any better, but plenty hot drinks and food and of course my hot water bottle! K

Reactions: Guzzler

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I'm trying to picture you sat in your living room with just your slippers on! Haha! Only joking.
Sorry sent before I'd finished, I have always felt the cold when winter starts but I've just got over a cold and a huge weight loss with LCHF hasn't made things any better, but plenty hot drinks and food and of course my hot water bottle! K
Haha! Not been necked that far since my honeymoon! Keep on doing what you're doing there's always hope that you're feet will return to normal in the future, fingers crossed for you. If they get to the point where it is distracting you then you could try soaking your feet in warm water. However, I do not know if this is wise for us with Diabetes, perhaps other members could advise on this. Good luck.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I found that the firm that supplied my storage heaters also sold thermal socks. Mostly I wear a normal pair of socks with the thermal socks over them and don't often take them off.

There is an added bonus. I walk in riggers boots. By the time I jam feet and socks into them they fit like a glove and feel toasty warm.

I would give a link but then it would look like I had a financial interest and I don't. Just look up heat holders.

Reactions: zbluebirdz

paula121s

Well, I happen to be the prized owner of a very small heated fleecy blanket! It's the perfect size to put on my neck and shoulders, it's in a very sexy shade of baby blue ! I know, your all jealous, it was a very good purchase from Lidl at the grand sum of £5.00!! Failing that my husbands back is great for feet warming !