treats..

Anamaus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone it's me again the diabetic type 2 newbie! hope you're all well! :)

Anyways I'm trying to find some treats and snacks that i can have that wont effect my blood/diabetes. I love shreddies, they are my go to fix. Dont know if thats good or bad? Anyway back to treats. My wife bought me some Gullon Digestives, and to be fair after not having any biscuits for a few months they were flipping awesome. HOWEVER they went through me like a tornado, sorry to be graphic but i honestly think i need a anus transplant! :hungover: So anyway i learned the hard way, the very hard way in fact. But now my wife has brought me some "Sugar free Chocolate" my fat instinct is saying EAT IT :woot: but my Bottom is reminding me not too.. Anyways What are your guys go-to treat? What can stop a sweet tooth? i am not a bit "Sweet tooth" sufferer, however when your told you cant have something.. its all ya want.
Also ive cut my carbs way down, im on brown rice, brown bread and my self control is awesome, i've lost 10llb in the last month (now 19.5 stone) I want to be around 16-17 stone. (im 6"5 so don't want to be too thin or i'll end up looking like Lurch from the Adams Family) It's been a hard learning curve. I'm 32 with a wife and 2 stunning children so i need to do this for them!

Anyways sorry if i ramble, any replys would be very appreciated, would love to see what treats you guys have, and any tips/advice.

Have a belting night guys

Regards Jon aka Anamaus :):):):)

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi there.

I don’t do ‘treats’ anymore as I’m more concerned with keeping my BS under control but there are plenty of sites showing low carb baking and sweet things.

Do you test after eating? It doesn’t matter what colour your carb is, they are still carbs. Shreddies, rice, bread...it’s all carbs and unless you test, you won’t know what effect they are having on your levels.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If the Gullon biscuits and the chocolate have the same artificial sweeteners, then that may have been what caused your gut problems. Some of the sweeteners affect some people like that.

Re treats... I have learned to love 70% cocoa solid chocolate. berries and cream. that kind of thing.

To be honest, there are a huge number of absolutely delicious things you can eat while low carbing, but it usually takes a shift in mindset. Out with the packets and the processed, and in with the real food that may take some preparation.

Mind you, if you like baking, there is a huge amount of low carb baking recipes, from mug cakes to puddings and biscuits. But before you venture into that realm, I suggest you work out which artificial sweetener it is that causes you gut problems. There are a number to choose from. I get on well with erythritol and xylitol, and can cope with stevia. I tend to avoid all the others because they cause one or more side effects for me...

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hi everyone it's me again the diabetic type 2 newbie! hope you're all well! :)

Anyways I'm trying to find some treats and snacks that i can have that wont effect my blood/diabetes.
Regards Jon aka Anamaus :):):):)

Pistachios - if you like nuts - give them a try. I eat 500 grams of Pistachios a week - they are in the shell so the edible part is less than 500 grams. As I don;t eat breakfast I usually start getting hungry by mid morning - my BGs at that time are usually in the 5 to 6 range. As nuts tend to be an appetite suppressant for me I take a handful or two of pistachios and presto - no longer hungry and by the time lunch rolls around my BGs are still between 5 - 6. There is a variance although it's slight.

It works for me, give it a try and see what happens.

The other thing I sometimes do, if you have the will power. Just grab a small chocolate (the will power part is just having one LOL) one of those small individually wrapped kind so you don't breakdown and eat the whole chocolate bar. It will affect your BG levels but here again it shouldn't be a significant change if you just have one small chocolate.

Personally I like the pistachio option better.

Good luck with your treat/snack options.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with @Brunneria. If you are into baking and/or preparing your own dishes, there is an abundance of low-carb desert recipes to choose from -- including cheese cake, brownies, chocolate mousse and more. Xylitol is my sweetener of choice.

Easier choices for snacks are high cocoa content chocolate (85% or higher for me), nuts (almonds, macadamia, pecans, brazils, hazelnuts or walnuts) and endless varieties of cheese.

Bertyboy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My go-to snacks now are pistachios and whole almonds, though the latter can give me stomach cramps if I eat too many. I also have sugar free ******* as an occasional treat.

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Since I am T1 I can get away with ice cream, chocolate, chips, most things really...I would say ice cream is a pretty good treat if you can find say a pack of ice creams on sticks. Go for the small ones, I usually eat around 15g carbs of ice cream at a time, but if you can find lower carb ice creams that would be better. I try not to get too much saturated fat in them (current ones are 9g per serve, which is kinda bad, but hey it's a treat, that's the whole point :) ), since you'll only be eating them occasionally it's probably not too bad. Ice cream has an advantage over other junk food in that it is a good source of calcium, so at least you are getting some nutritional value out of it.

Reactions: lindijanice

Gannet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Showbiz
Since I am T1 I can get away with ice cream, chocolate, chips, most things really...I would say ice cream is a pretty good treat if you can find say a pack of ice creams on sticks. Go for the small ones, I usually eat around 15g carbs of ice cream at a time, but if you can find lower carb ice creams that would be better. I try not to get too much saturated fat in them (current ones are 9g per serve, which is kinda bad, but hey it's a treat, that's the whole point :) ), since you'll only be eating them occasionally it's probably not too bad. Ice cream has an advantage over other junk food in that it is a good source of calcium, so at least you are getting some nutritional value out of it.

Claudi and Fin frozen yoghurt lollies: the children's size about 35g). Only about 4g carbs each and really tasty.

Reactions: phdiabetic

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Macadamia, pecans, cheese, olives or raw vlc veg with a mayo based sauce. Spicy or horseradish is my preferred. I have no sweet tooth anymore. Anything resembling sweet is too sweet for me.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

He’s a T2 so cannot cover his carbs with injected insulin and a 15g sugary hit of carbs is not a good idea at all. Most ice cream is vegetable fat, flavouring, sugar and skimmed milk powder, nothing in there of any good but plenty of harm.

Saturated fat is not harmful, carbs are.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For sweet treats I have Oppo ice cream, around 7g carbs for two scoops depending which flavour you pick. Hartleys 10cal jellies most flavours are under 1g carbs per pot, 85% chocolate and low carb treats from the low carb websites such as Diet Dr and Ditch the carbs

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Treats: a poached duck egg, a goose egg omelette (in season), our butcher's home made sausages, various cheeses, my home made celeriac soup, butter on asparagus or wilted spinach. In other words Real Food, properly cooked and prepared, no need for strange chemicals and things in packets. Learn to enjoy the real stuff and forget about the things Big Food has told you are a treat. The only people who are being treated are the Big Food shareholders.
Sally