Type 1 Morning high and basal Doses

lukeeggy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi All,

Last few morning my readings have been over 10.

I usually take 12 units of levemir before bed, Ink my take 1 dose a day. Would it be worth splitting my doses?

My pre bed readings were lower than my wake up ones. Took a few correctional novorapid doses with a snack to get them down before bed.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Luke

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes........

Levemir lends itself to a split as its only meant to last 12-18 hours......and the smaller the dose the shorter it lasts.....

That on top of the additional flexibility you will have....

You will need to test each dose from the start to establish whats what of course....and that could take a week or two to pin down accurately....

Reactions: lukeeggy

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well, don't do anything you are not sure of unless you have sought advice from the professionals....

A split makes complete sense though......

overnight you are fasting and sleeping, so it makes sense to deal with that period of time separately from the day time, where you are moving about and eating....

A split also allows you to make reductions/increases of the basal for exercise, illness and alcohol etc without effecting the overnight dose....

lukeeggy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Ok thanks.

I want to try and figure it out before contacting the DSN.

Hopefully it can be rectified if not soon will give them a call

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As I say, split has its advantages.........but you could certainly try increasing the 12 and keeping the single dose, to try and get your waking levels down.....you just need to keep an eye on the levels during the day as that increase may be too much.....

lukeeggy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
So since my jump from 5.5 to 11.5 on Thursday (14 units), it looked like to big of a gap to be not enough insulin considering I usually take 10/12.

So last night I took 8 these were the readings

10:30 - 6.5
1:00 - 7
4:00 - 8
7:00 - 9
8:15 - 10.5

I am at a complete loss. Could I have a dodgy batch of Levemir, A jump from 10/12 normal to over 14 out of the blue seems too much to take on?

lukeeggy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
No high this morning! Just an all time low of 1.8. Back up to 11.8 at lunch! What is going on!

quintel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So since my jump from 5.5 to 11.5 on Thursday (14 units), it looked like to big of a gap to be not enough insulin considering I usually take 10/12.

So last night I took 8 these were the readings

10:30 - 6.5
1:00 - 7
4:00 - 8
7:00 - 9
8:15 - 10.5

I am at a complete loss. Could I have a dodgy batch of Levemir, A jump from 10/12 normal to over 14 out of the blue seems too much to take on?

Do you give it a few days to settle? I've found if I change my Levemir dose, it takes a few days before I'll notice any changes, if any.

lukeeggy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yeah it’s really up and down at the moment but once levemir is right. Will get the carb count adjustments right and should be fine!