Levemir 11pm rise

5uzie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning folks.

I’m 60% sure my question relates to my basal insulin. I’ve been just over a year as type 1 and my pancreas has now stopped helping all together. My insulin needs have really increased.
I’m currently taking 12 units levemir at 10am and then another 8 at 10pm.

However, every night, even when I carb count perfectly (well, I’m not heaps out) my bg levels rise up to 14/15!!

I’m not in range before meals so a lot of correction doses and I’m trying to bring this down.

However, do you think it’s my morning basal or night basal that needs to increase to stop this 11pm rise?

Im just so miserable with my numbers just now they are so high all the time I’m knackered

Thanks for any help, really appreciate it.

Hba1c: 64

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It very well could be but you have to personally confirm that with some basal testing.....

Test the 10pm dose first by having no carbs or corrections after your dinner.....you can test every hour from 10 onwards.....you can space them.out more through the early hours.....this will give you an idea of your 10pm dose is right....if not...you can adjust by 1 or 2 units then test again....you should test for 2 day in a row minimum.....

Have you basal tested before...?

5uzie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you so much @novorapidboi26

I’m going to have to start testing as I feel all my requirements have changed and I’m a bit in the dark. Going to try get an appointment with my DSN to get things sorted! Managed two episodes at 19 yesterday!!

Thanks again, Suzie

Reactions: novorapidboi26

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi there @5uzie
just as a refresher here is a link to basal testing https://mysugr.com/basal-rate-testing/

do get an appointment with your DSN.
That is what she gets paid to do -- help you to make sense of numbers , doses , etc !

22nw22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning folks.

I’m 60% sure my question relates to my basal insulin. I’ve been just over a year as type 1 and my pancreas has now stopped helping all together. My insulin needs have really increased.
I’m currently taking 12 units levemir at 10am and then another 8 at 10pm.

However, every night, even when I carb count perfectly (well, I’m not heaps out) my bg levels rise up to 14/15!!

I’m not in range before meals so a lot of correction doses and I’m trying to bring this down.

However, do you think it’s my morning basal or night basal that needs to increase to stop this 11pm rise?

Im just so miserable with my numbers just now they are so high all the time I’m knackered

Thanks for any help, really appreciate it.

Hba1c: 64
I used to use Levemir for a long time until I got Tresiba this year. It has helped me a LOT. :)

Reactions: himtoo