MEDICATIONS

stockcar19

Does anybody know the best way to find out if medications such as Byetta,Sitagliptin etc are available on NHS prescription in the area in which you are being treated.I am guessing that the postcode lottery may play a part in their availability but would be useful if I could find out before they try to force me on to Insulin.

Pete

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Pete,
All authorised medications are available on prescription, no matter where you live, provided you meet the medical guidelines for prescribing them. This includes Byetta and Januvia (Sitagliptin). What you are asking is which PCTs are choosing to ignore government guidelines by refusing to fund the prescriptions. Unfortunately although we know they do exist (through our own personal experiences) you will never get any PCT to admit that they do this.

stockcar19

Thanks Dennis
Yes that was what I was getting at and it probably explains why Croydon PALS service has not phoned me back regarding my enquiry!!
Think I'll phone them again to see what response I get,will let you know what they say

pete

sofaraway

I believe that byetta can only be initially prescribed in secondary care, then from there it depends on the GP if they will prescribe. good luck

Jacqhar

Hi Pete

My GP was not keen on trying me on Byetta as he wanted to try other oral medications first even though everytime we tried something new I put a lot of weight on!!

My DSN spoke to the local Consultant and got him to prescribe Byetta for me - don't think my GP is too happy with this but if it is working and results in me being able to have more control over both my b/s and weight I really cant give a ********. Just hope he continues to prescribe after the Consultant stops.

Always been a rebel so would recommend if GP won't prescribe try someone else.

Jacqueline

stockcar19

Hi Jacqueline

I am already maxed out on the "normal" medications and don't want Insulin due to driving restrictions.I met with DSN at hospital yesterday and had very good constructive conversation where she agreed that I should be given Byetta/Sitagliptin and has referred me to see the Consultant ASAP when he returns from holiday (3-4 weeks).However there was a caviat in that as Dennis said although they want to put patients on these drugs they are at the moment being prevented from doing so by "the authority", but they hope to have permission to do so soon.At the moment my BS is nowhere near as high as it was a few weeks ago(7.9 yesterday compared to 27.5 in May) so I am happy to wait at the present time.
I would add that my lower levels are due in part to increase in medications but even more due to following the straughtforward advice offered freely by the great informed people on this forum -low carb,etc is the way to go for me,along with some supplements for Thyroid function etc.As people on here say time and again it's a matter of finding what works for you and sticking with it ,but trying to be open minded about other options which come along from time to time (geniune ideas that is andnot the scammers and profiteers).

Regards
Pete