Does type 1 diabetes affect your social life? If so, how?

ashwin24

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
ashwin24 diabetes has ruled my life since the age of 3 until just before i was 39. So here goes after 3 weeks of GP's coming out to the house and different things were told to my parents until one doctor told my father to get me to hospital quick as he said i was a diabetic ( this was 1979 and not a lot of people new about diabetes) i was put on a infusion and my parents were told that i had a 50/50 chance of living but i pulled through. Injection in them days were glass and no one has a blood machine, i was given a strict diet to follow and everything had to be planned well in advance, then when i moved up to comp school the change in dinner times were such that hypos were almost everyday and even though i was a good footballer the teachers did not pick me because of my diabetes ( i was the only diabetic in a school of 1200). After i left school i was 17 and started to go out drinking and clubbing which was what all my friends did but as they got ready and went out i had to make sure was o.k. with my diabetes and i had something with me to eat plus a diabetic card as a hypo can be mistaken for being drunk. Just before i was 18 i was sent to a consultant about my eyes and told i needed laser treatment as tiny blood vessels at the back of my eyes could burst, i hold the record for the amount of laser shots i had on my eyes. Unlucky for me it did not work and over the next 3 years i had 5 ops to clear the blood from the back of the eye, you could not see it just by looking at my eye. This meant after each op that i could not have a drink and was told to pack in football as heading the ball could cause another bleed. Here i was 21 told to retire from football which i was playing at a high level in the local leagues and my social life suffered as did my mental health did. Only about 6 months later i was told i needed to see a renal consultant who told me that i would need a new kidney by the time i was 30, i was shocked and for 4 years only thought about myself hurting people in the process who did not warrent it. I still went out for a drink and i think it was about when i was 25 that a girl asked me if she could catch diabetes if we kissed, i said no but i was raging inside, so after that i told everyone that i was a diabetic. I also had 4 ops on my hands and elbow, as my mental health went up and down. I got to 30 and my renal function stayed steady at 25% which no one could understand and also had two children now, so i was a dad, diabetic and a partner and everything we did had to be planned but we split up when i was 34 and the stress and heartache of my children means i took my eye off my diabetes so i got a insulin pump from my local hospital but they could not get my levels right so i went to the Freeman Hospital at Newcastle and for the first time in years i had hope. My children moved in with me when i was 36 so social life was put on hold and on the 17th of April 2015 i had a pancreas and kidney transplant after a rough year the transplant was working great. The only thing was with having normal sugar levels the effects of the damage of the diabetes came to light, my nerve endings were done for, my arms and legs would go numb, when they did the transplant they took some nerves away from the bladder which led to my bladder being able to hold at least 8 pints of fluid before i needed the toilet. The bladder damage led to me going from 83kg to 107kg in a week, i am now back down to about 90kg. My bowels are also damaged and i am in constant pain that i have lidocaine infusions about once a month as well as my other appointments( in 2016 i had 62 appointments to see different doctors and that does not included stopping in hospital). So here i am today after having a double transplant diabetes is still ruling my life and it has had a major effect on my social life, do i regret having the transplant, no because i am watching them grow up. It does not only effect my life but the people closest to me, this is just a brief outline of what i have gone through so if you want anymore questions answered then just ask and good luck.

Wow, that is an exceptional answer, I absolutely love this community, this is a great answer and im gonna use this in my essay as part of a personal example, and use it to reference other answers. Thank you so much for your input, i love it :)) <3

ashwin24

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Staying alive might be one of them !

Even though my reading aren't consistently good yet, I'm a much happier person I think in general.

I do think, for me personally anyway, sometimes reading a lot of the negative impacts it's having on peoples lives, or what they describe as negative, can have an adverse effect.

Depends on the person I guess. I really have like Jen Grieves videos and blogs.

I see, thanks for your input, I appreciate every answer

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
As someone diagnosed at 13, the key benefit of insulin therapy for me is that I am now in my forties. Had I been diagnosed more than 100 years ago, I would not be here now.

Does it affect life? Yes, in many ways it must, otherwise you find yourself in places that are very uncomfortable, however, that doesn't mean that it has to rule life.

I've had plenty of social and daily life, including participating in sports to a high level, travelling the world, doing numerous jobs. My parents always encouraged me that I could do anything I wanted in spite of Diabetes, and I have. So has it impacted my social life? Well, not really. But then, I guess I may just have been lucky!

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Same as you, tim2000, except that it was me who decided that it wouldn’t hold me back. When I was diagnosed, back in 1969, aged 20, I was given a leaflet. On the cover there was a picture of a group feeding the pigeons in Trafalgar Square with the caption ‘You too can lead a normal life’. My response was “Aw heck, not like that!” and I was probably a bit too reckless in the early days.
Diagnosis, after a long, horrible, eight month slide into DKA (I probably honeymooned pre-diagnosis) was wonderful, but it did seriously impact on my time at University, especially pre diagnosis.
Since then, carting everything around et al has become second nature and the only real impact occurs if I forget something. Driving home from work to get that insulin pen was a real self-inflicted nuisance!

NoKindOfSusie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Tim, if you were diagnosed at thirteen, how do you even know what impact it had on your social life?

leahkian

Wow, that is an exceptional answer, I absolutely love this community, this is a great answer and im gonna use this in my essay as part of a personal example, and use it to reference other answers. Thank you so much for your input, i love it :)) <3
You can use anything you want and i hope you get the grade you want as diabetes is a worldwide problem and education is the only way that people will learn. No two diabetics are the same and there are a lot of people who think that all type 1 diabetics are all the same

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Tim, if you were diagnosed at thirteen, how do you even know what impact it had on your social life?
That's the point. It hasn't affected my social life, doing all the things that teenagers and young adults do, whether that's drinking so much that you pass out (yes I've done that), eating the wrong foods, staying out all night, going on clubbing holidays, etc. It also hasn't stopped me participating in various sports & activities, which for most of us are also part of our social lives.

It could have, but it didn't. That's my point. My social life has been no different to my non-Type 1 peers.

Reactions: Snapsy

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I love your answer to this, @tim2000s , and it's a great question, @NoKindOfSusie .

I have made massive life decisions which would have been different if I didn't have diabetes. I know this. I was 11.

I wish I hadn't let it hold me back. But I have. I did. And it does.

My life is great, don't get me wrong. But there are factors missing from it which I would like to have harnessed.

Love Snapsy xxx

Reactions: tim2000s

NoKindOfSusie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My life is weird.

I am sitting in the lobby of a really great hotel in Phoenix Arizona. No I am not trying to be impressive, no I do not usually travel this much, it's for work and yes I am crazy for doing it with a backpack full of insulin pens. But if I start turning things down the phone will never ring again so here I am.

When we got here there was a big buffet dinner and I sat around for five minutes eating salad I didn't want, watching people stuff their faces with things I did want and couldn't (practically speaking) have. Then I went back to my room and did all the stabbing. Tomorrow I get to have my first interaction with the American airport security people who are notoriously horrible.

This should be an awesome experience both socially and work-wise and it is so fricken weird that it is and it isn't.

Does it affect your social life. GOD yes. How? It's complicated.

Jeannie87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey Urbanracer, thanks for the great answer!
There is a lot of scenarios from your text which I can use as part of my essay! I'll be sure to cite you!
Thanks once again everyone, there are great examples from both of your replys that I can use to help me out
Thank you so much!

Jeannie87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello everybody!
I’ve been type 1 diabetic for 45 years. Just wanted to add my little bit of info. It’s never affected my social life to be honest. Mainly because I’ve never allowed it to. Yes, I have to think ahead a wee bit and yes, it’s a nuisance but I’m always just glad I’m alive and can enjoy a social life. Best wishes on your research.

I am currently a student at Canadian International School in Singapore. As a part of my recent assessment in Science class, I have been assigned to write an essay about hormonal therapies and their impacts on certain areas. I decided to choose insulin therapy since its very common and affects millions of people, which means I can study my topic easier. As part of my primary research, I decided to come to this forum, since I can trust the answers I get here. Anyways, to the point :-

I really want to know, especially type 1 diabetics, how does insulin therapy affect your daily life?

I would love everyone who uses the therapy daily to provide some knowledge and experience to me, all answers are appreciated!

Thanks a lot everyone

Stay healthy!!

nessa1970

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I love your answer to this, @tim2000s , and it's a great question, @NoKindOfSusie .

I have made massive life decisions which would have been different if I didn't have diabetes. I know this. I was 11.

I wish I hadn't let it hold me back. But I have. I did. And it does.

My life is great, don't get me wrong. But there are factors missing from it which I would like to have harnessed.

Love Snapsy xxx

Gees your bloody cool
I love all your responses on different threads.
Tonight after a 50 hour week keeping bs in range after being loop-noot.,That overdose on insulin an nearly died twice not too mention the rest of the **** I did.....
I’m accepting of my diagnosis... so doing what I can to keep things greater than previous 30 to HIgh levels——- but I refuse not to enjoy my drinks when I choose to have them maybe it’s sea salt chips etc too lol but hay... our time here is short and I’m not 100% being destructive, but now again for a birthday or wedding or just bloody because I can .... I drink a lot have fun have maccas for the hangover and **** it...
Cause sometimes you have too
Oops I’m ranting SNAPSY...
198af558f089f3efc80ee352066262d0.jpg

Edited for language.

Last edited by a moderator:

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was diagnosed in 1965 age 4. 1/2 now 56 years. My life has always included Diabetes early on injection we’re 1 a day then twice with boiled glass and metal syringes and huge bore needles leaving marks afterwards. I could not identify hypos for most of my childhood and teens, causing hypos n comas at school, primary school refused me said ‘ special school’ my parents refused n I went to same as my brothers sister. However my mum had to guarantee she would always be available to the school to deal with hypos etc. High school difficult 3 comas and one seizure school had no idea, ambulance called.So many positives now for diabetics much more understood, I never had sweets cakes etc as a child teenager no birthday cake Easter egg etc as then not allowed any!
Now disposable syringes microfine needles,Novo pens, blood tests (rather than urine with clinetest tablets ) Now pumps, and schools diabetics are more educated/ others much more aware.
Yes at times I have been fed up had to be careful when drinking alcohol with friends but decided to drive (so had less). Learnt the hard way re hypos later in day!
When I began work as adult lots of hypos as Work was physically tiring. . Change of animal insulin’s caused car crash warnings reduced lost licence but got it back. After 1 year - change to novo pen . Then got license back .
Married with 2 children pregnancy hard work still using multiple injections via Novopen had to keep glucose low -induced early but needed caesarean s children fine.
Now using pump. 1 1/2 years. Still have to be aware of diabetes, and have no fear of blood tests which 1 still do 5-8 times a day. My ‘eureka’ was when older began to realise I have to find a way to control it or it would control me and ruin my life. So far so good . Getting older less aware of hypos so more blood tests,but no serious problems .- apart from bowel damage/ associated to caesarean s / Diabetes. But managed with medication. I have now finished work and enjoy exercise several times a week. Learning to adjust Omnipod for this, now getting easier. The worst things for me over the years we’re lack of help at school when needed, getting silly, or grumpy when Hypo others didn’t know. Still sometimes get grumpy when low or high!
I hope to remain healthy enough to enjoy many more years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Juicyj and Snapsy

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I was diagnosed in 1965 age 41/2 now 56 years. My life has always included Diabetes early on injection we’re 1 a day then twice with boiled glass and metal syringes and huge bore needles leaving marks afterwards. I could not identify hypos
Interesting as we have been living with type 1 for roughly the same amount of time - however, I didn't really start looking after myself until my kids were born - the first - 26 years ago. As far as I can tell it's never really affected my social life - athletics, touring with a Rock Band - wilderness canoeing adventures. My philosophy has always been - live life to the fullest for this could be your last day - It has served me well so far :)

Reactions: Snapsy

NoKindOfSusie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Fletch I don't want to come off as a total noob and an idiot here but the point is you really can't tell. You're used to it. Try actually having a normal adult existence and then having that taken away. You get to a point where you can't really enjoy anything at all because it all has this enormous shadow cast over it.

Sure fine maybe I'm just crazy but it is difficult to hear people going "oh no it doesn't affect anything." It does. It has to. And that's not just me being inexperienced, that's objective fact.

JoeT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's a fact it'll effect you in certain ways, but you have to live life and think with a positive attitude.

Everybody deals in different ways, and that's absolutely fine. What I'm finding though, so many people are really negative in their thinking... If you are reading that 24/7, without the positives, you'll fall into that trap. I noticed it while in hospital, on a ward with elderly gentlemen, who couldn't feed themselves, wash or use the toilet.. My point is, the more I was around it, I think the worse I felt, the more negative I became.

Hopefully that makes some sense

Reactions: mytype1.life

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Fletch I don't want to come off as a total noob and an idiot here but the point is you really can't tell. You're used to it. Try actually having a normal adult existence and then having that taken away. You get to a point where you can't really enjoy anything at all because it all has this enormous shadow cast over it.

Sure fine maybe I'm just crazy but it is difficult to hear people going "oh no it doesn't affect anything." It does. It has to. And that's not just me being inexperienced, that's objective fact.

Yes, it does affect things, but as time passes and you learn more about how insulin works in relation to types of food and drink, it affects them far less, to the point that it doesn't make an overwhelming difference.

I was dx'd at 21, thought my life was over, that I was disabled, would only be able to eat "special diabetic food".

Turned out, nah, sure, it takes a bit more planning ahead, bit of thinking about timing and dosage, but it becomes second nature after a while.

So, if I want to go out for a few beers, as I did last night, and will do again tonight, or a Chinese buffet, as I did last week, or the office departmental xmas lunch, which I will do next week, which generally starts about 1pm and finishes in a nightclub about 2am, then I can do those things and stay in range and be safe.

It might not seem it at the moment, but you will learn tips and tricks as time goes by which will let you do pretty much what you want. Instead of thinking, can't do that, after a while you'll see a situation and start thinking, ok, there's this food and that drink, so what do I need to do in terms of dose and timing to handle it. Used properly, insulin is a help, not a hinderance. Give it time.

Reactions: Juicyj and Diakat

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
D has no impact on my social life. Very few people know I'm D (no one at work) and outside my immediate family no one knows. Parties are the worst when someone comes up to you offering some sickly sweet treat that they are determined you will eat it.

D

Deleted Account

Tomorrow I get to have my first interaction with the American airport security people who are notoriously horrible
This is so not my experience. I have travelled to the US about 20 times since being diagnosed and found airport security polite at all times both when I had pens and, more recently, when I have a pump.
On average, I'd say my American airport security experience, is far better than the British equivalent.

kxq

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Know it alls!!
Hi all. I have lived with T1 for 42 years now. Experienced a lot of fear and ignorance when I went back to school at age 5. Students refused to sit near me in fear of catching something?? Teachers were not much better in Primary or Secondary schools. If you needed to eat or inject then you would have to wait til the set break times. Even extended family had a confused understanding of what T1 was, back in the 70's. A comment at my uncle's funeral who had T1 and died from an infection after a farm accident, my Aunts and Uncles stated that I would be the same and not have a long life so don't be stupid saving for College etc. for him, I overheard all this and the argument with my parents that followed - I was age 6. This made me want to prove them wrong so taking shots myself and urine testing became (no immediate blood testers available then where I live) my way of taking control. Insulin has given me a life where if I was born in a different time - I would not have had. For this I am thankful, it had made me who I am now. I have tried to experience as much as I can - food and travel - as long as I have the money to do so, eat something new every month - travel somewhere new even if its only up the road 1 mile or 1000 miles, we cannot let it rule who you are or what you do. I have found ignorance is still there every day - I have tried 6 times over 20 years to get Life insurance but the minute you put Diabetic on the form and say that you are Insulin dependant, well they cannot run fast enough to get away from you. I have no problem injecting discreetly in public but have had instances where I have been confronted for being an Addict of some kind. Airport Security are the pitts - Insulin pens and tester are critical to us to be close to hand but I have been made to put them in stowed luggage or disposing of them before take off. See how the metal detector goes off with a pump - my friend had to refuse to remove it and ask for a supervisor before he could pass. I can understand how terrorism has changed peoples thoughts of what constitutes a weapon but it is embarassing when you always appear to be the one singled out. Planning for long haul flights can be hard - I find the air pressure in the aircraft does slow down the Insulin activity for me so you have to balance up predosing before take off with carb intake on the flight, taking shots on the flight and not stacking up the insulin in your system. You definitely do not want to have a hypo at the end of the flight or during the queuing for customs/border security. As a user of insulin - I find that having plans in place works for me - always travel with more insulin that what you need in different luggage - if one gets lost or taken - you always have a backup. Plan for heat - insulin does not like the sun, people often look at you strangely if you pull out a cold pack or flask on the beach. Employers - there are understanding ones and ones that go the other way too - all you can hope is that they or those who they love do not have to deal with T1 in the future. It is the same with driving - have a break plan worked out for long journeys is something everyone should do -not only diabetics. Sorry for my meandering thoughts but to finish - Yes Insulin is great for keeping us alive and no using Insulin does cause situations where you wish to God that you were someone or somewhere else.
Regards K