Keeping your toes warm

mgwoolgar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was lucky to find that walking in the Canadian winter snow (when I lived there) only required good boots and wool socks. I no longer have to walk through the snow, but do find that wool socks are needed at night to keep my toes comfortable, even under a warm comforter with the room temperature at 10°C+. My wife won't put up with cold feet, and there are no cats in my house!! Walking during the day helps keep the circulation moving, although the rest of the day is sedentary!! Warm wishes to all the cold tootsies!!

Davie_sett

Type of diabetes
Type 1
i seem to have developed a really bad chilblain on the side of my foot this year or atvleast thats what i think it is it could also be a strain or something from running but it really hurts iv got a months supply of tablets from the doctor to help with them

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Bridgedale socks for me and leather shoes, boots or sandles in the summer. Trainers were recommended recently for my numb toes.
On returning home from school run my feet were freezing cold to touch but no pain or discomfort. Scatica at its best.
Wool big socks are needed under my wellies, if I wear them again.

Michelle6557

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
With winter arriving now, my toes are feeling the effect of the chilly temperatures.

What do you use to keep your toes feeling warm and avoiding the chilblains at the same time?
Forgive my ignorance as I’m still learning about diabetes having been diagnosed T1 at age 40... I thought we weren’t allowed to ‘heat’ our feet.... no putting feet in warm water or a bubbly foot spa etc..??

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Wool socks during the day electric blanket at night.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Silk or bamboo base layer does best for me topped by fine micro fleece or cashmere. All those fabrics are expensive, but worth it, to my view.

I have a very wonky temperature regulation issue which has been under investigation for a well over a year. The upside its I know I have not been diagnosed with about 20 very nasty things, but still no answers. Rheumatology next, then, if no joy, off to the Neuro bods.

So many tests, so many new friends. Ahem.

freezing.gif

Last edited:

zbluebirdz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Forgive my ignorance as I’m still learning about diabetes having been diagnosed T1 at age 40... I thought we weren’t allowed to ‘heat’ our feet.... no putting feet in warm water or a bubbly foot spa etc..??
It depends on the condition of your feet and whether you have any nerve damage in the legs / foot. If there's some, then you feet may not know how hot/cold the water is ...

I was looking for ideas for keeping feet & toes warm all day. Thanks for the replies everyone - a good number of suggestions have been posted - good quality socks and decent shoes. Not too sure about kittens and puppies though! :stinkyfeet::)