Very early pregnancy

Kateyo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi there! I’m just wondering if any ladies remember how their BS behaved in very early stages of pregnancy? I would say I’m about 5 weeks pregnant so still v.v early but I am having to increase basal quite a bit throughout the day and also finding that bolus may need increased too. I literally only have to look at food and I start climbing. I’m not used to this as I had things sitting pretty well before and am finding it v.frustrating. I can’t remember this early on in my first pregnancy whether this was an issue or not. I remember lows later on but it’s like I’ve become really resistant to insulin atm :banghead:

Ellie_Wilko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I’ve found it the other way! You usually have a lot of hypos in early pregnancy and therefore have to reduce your basal, well that’s the way it’s been for my 2 pregnancies anyway!

Congratulations xx

quintel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there! I’m just wondering if any ladies remember how their BS behaved in very early stages of pregnancy? I would say I’m about 5 weeks pregnant so still v.v early but I am having to increase basal quite a bit throughout the day and also finding that bolus may need increased too. I literally only have to look at food and I start climbing. I’m not used to this as I had things sitting pretty well before and am finding it v.frustrating. I can’t remember this early on in my first pregnancy whether this was an issue or not. I remember lows later on but it’s like I’ve become really resistant to insulin atm :banghead:

Personally I was the opposite. At about 7ish weeks I had to drop my basal by about 1/3 and suffered with frequent hypos all night. However everyone is different and I've found that insulin needs can change within a matter of days!

Congratulations with your pregnancy! X

Reactions: Kateyo

Kateyo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you both so much @Ellie_Wilko @quintel :) I may have spoken too soon as I’ve spent the last few hours drinking coke to keep sugars up and can see them dropping again now, which is what I remember from last pregnancy so looks like I’ll need to start putting basal down again after increasing it for last week or 2! @quintel I struggled with night time hypos in my first pregnancy, it’s awful wakening so much when you’re tired as it is! I hope they’ve settled for you now! Joys of pregnancy hormones and diabetes eh! xx

quintel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you both so much @Ellie_Wilko @quintel :) I may have spoken too soon as I’ve spent the last few hours drinking coke to keep sugars up and can see them dropping again now, which is what I remember from last pregnancy so looks like I’ll need to start putting basal down again after increasing it for last week or 2! @quintel I struggled with night time hypos in my first pregnancy, it’s awful wakening so much when you’re tired as it is! I hope they’ve settled for you now! Joys of pregnancy hormones and diabetes eh! xx

Haha! Yes spoke too soon! They've settled now, I had to split my basal dose to get them to stop and it's worked a treat! Xx

Reactions: Kateyo

Kateyo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ah that’s great news @quintel :) How far along are you? I’m writing back at this time because although I already cut back on my basal I’ve still found myself dropping low. I can’t believe how quick things changed and also how dramatically. I’m already dropping basal for the morning in advance in case it keeps up! I got my letter for early scan so that will keep me motivated while these overnight lows keep me up! x

meg7024

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, congratulations! I am very much looking forward to becoming a mum one day. Just wondering how you are finding it with diabetes? Do you have to go into hospital regularly? Also during labour do they have you on a sugar pump? Apologies if you don’t want to answer, just nosy as to how a diabetic is finding it rather than what doctors say

Kateyo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @meg7024 thank you and I don’t mind at all! The first thing I would recommend when you decide you want to try for a baby is to ask your diabetes team to refer to you their pre pregnancy clinic. I can’t recommend this enough. They’ll help you meet the pregnancy targets, which are strict in terms of what your pre and post meal levels should be as well as your hba1c. They’ll also check blood pressure, kidneys etc and just generally how you’re finding it all so definitely worthwhile as it’s a lot easier going into a pregnancy prepared. The first trimester typically brings hypos so you’ll need to make sure you have your hypo treatments easily on hand. At the minute I’m experiencing hypos overnight and am adjusting my basal insulin quite a bit to deal with this. When you do fall pregnant your consultant will refer you for an early scan. All being well, you’ll then start attending the diabetic ante-natal clinic where you’ll typically be seen approx every 2 weeks to check on you and baby and how your BS are behaving and whether any tweaks need made. This is how I’ve found it where I am but the care you receive is fantastic, you’ll be very well looked after when you decide the time is right. Pregnancy and diabetes is hard work but so worth it in the end. Lots of testing required. I test ALL the time but it’s worth it because you can spot where basal or bolus might need adjusted or where certain foods maybe don’t work etc. That’s the 2 big things before trying for a baby - pre pregnancy clinic and lots of testing (and the higher dose folic acid - v.important. Ask your DSN or GP for this when you decide to try). Hope that helps but if you’ve any more questions, feel free to ask x

livi2006

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there I'm 25 weeks with my 1st baby I was quite prone to hypos earlie on so I found I needed to have a snack between meals I find Alpen light very good as they are under 15g carbs I've now found from 23 weeks that my requirements have massively in creased going

12 to 22 am
14-28 lunch
16-38 dinner
I'm on novo rapid with long acting lantus in the evening with has rise from 25-32

I've read this is normal an my nurse told me there is so maximum u can take as long as your keeping with in your ranges into be honest have just found it hard now to get them in range but luckily it all calming down now just takes time N patiance I was just so afraid of effecting the baby.. hope this helps an congrats xx

mytype1.life

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi ladies!
Thanks for starting this thread @Kateyo I’ve been trying to find out if anybody experienced low blood sugar as a sign of Very very early pregnancy so good to read it varies as a lot of sources focus on high blood sugars mainly.
Just asking as I’ve been feeling rather ‘different’ recently and I’ve been so low... and not the lows I can usually find some kind of a cause for (exercise induced for example). It’s too early to know and could just be side effects from coming off the pill, only time will tell! X