Moves to cut Tobacco and Alcohol consumption

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
£10.50 tax on a bottle of scotch will kill off some of the home whiskey market.

Some of the rough cooking stuff costs around a tenner, but I cant see much getting sold at £15-16. and the far dearer better quality will be well beyond most of those that enjoy a home tipple every now and then

The drink industry employs a lot of increasingly hard pushed wage earners, so I'm wondering if this has been thoroughly thought through!

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Once again the Government are being hypocritical about smoking and drinking. If they really cared then they could just simply ban the sales of alcohol and tobacco (However we all know how the Volstead Act ended up !)

What they are doing is putting up taxes yet again, raising more money for the government revenue, because without the revenue from alcohol and tobacco they would be in serious trouble.
This will damage businesses, especially in a recession, and lead to more businesses going to the wall, more unemployment and more misery for those who can’t afford to buy food sometimes or pay their bills.

If you tell young people not to do something then you can bet they will ! Education from a young age is what is needed, trying to change the ‘macho’ culture where it is seen to be cool to binge drink and smoke as a sign of adulthood. Why should those who enjoy the occasional social drink be penalised because of bad behaviour amongst a minority ?

Bigglesworth

I read the article elsewhere and I don't think that what is proposed is an additional £10.50 tax its about setting the tax at a level below which it cannot be offered for sale. This, in effect, would prevent alcohol being used as a lost leader as it undoubtedly is in many supermarkets.. It would,for example, prevent the sale of 24*440 cans of lager at 4.2 alcohol by volume for £14.00. (ASDA price!), Gin at 40% by volume for £8.65 (ALDI) or two bottles for £20.00 (TESCO).

In Scotland the Tory, Labour and Lib/Dem opposition at the parliament opposed a point of sale per unit of alcohol price of 40p (not a tax which would go to the Exchequer) which would have had little or no impact on the price of beers, wines and spirits at normal retail prices. It would have prevented the sale of certain items such as the 'industrial' cider - which has an alcohol content of more than 6% by volume - going for for £2.95 per 2 litre plastic bottle. On the other hand a bottle of spirits at 40% by volume would have had a minimum point of sale price of £10.40 which, for most national branded spirits at least, is generally below the normal and as such the 'normal' bottle would not be affected (for example Grouse whisky is currently selling for £14.95 per bottle in the local ASDA and on offer Lamb's rum is going for £11.00).

The reality is, whether reasonable and sensible drinkers like it or not, something has to be done.

How these prices might affect Whiskey is,of course,another matter!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
sugarless sue said:
If you tell young people not to do something then you can bet they will ! Education from a young age is what is needed, trying to change the ‘macho’ culture where it is seen to be cool to binge drink and smoke as a sign of adulthood. Why should those who enjoy the occasional social drink be penalised because of bad behaviour amongst a minority ?

Absolutely right Sue that education is the key! My children have never smoked and don't think they ever will. Years ago I told them how their grandad(my father) went from a strapping 6ft 2'' 16 16 stone man down to 7-8 stone in his final days of lung cancer, I graphically told them how I would lift him from his bed and how this tore me apart deep inside to a point I nearly lost the plot! My reason was to warn them that tobacco is a highly addictive drug that damages and wrecks lives, and once hooked it is extremely difficult to stop, felt bad about telling them how their grandad wasted away and it hurt me to relive those days, but my dad would be proud if he knew that it stopped his grandkids from smoking as he ruled the day he ever pick-up his first cigarette.

Nigel

Rushy

I've been accepting gift of Scotch in lieu of payment for computer work for some years now.. My Single malt collection might now be worth a few quid when I get back from Singapore in late 2012! :D

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
Rushy said:
I've been accepting gift of Scotch in lieu of payment for computer work for some years now.. My Single malt collection might now be worth a few quid when I get back from Singapore in late 2012! :D

Will that be deemed as importing and will you have to pay tax on your collection?

Rushy

Hobs said:
Rushy said:

Will that be deemed as importing and will you have to pay tax on your collection?

Luckily it's still at home. Provided my daughter hasn't manage to drink it!

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In Lidle today 28 yr old single malt for £28.99 didnt recognise the name would an expert(KEN AND CRONIES) give it a try and let us lesser mortals know whether it is worth buying or not.
CAROL

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
Errrm .. we're not telepathic .. how about sharing the brand name :lol:

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
carty said:
In Lidle today 28 yr old single malt for £28.99 didnt recognise the name would an expert(KEN AND CRONIES) give it a try and let us lesser mortals know whether it is worth buying or not.
CAROL

Carol.
Did a bit of digging regarding this one and came up with some info from a Whisky forum........ :D
I know ........it's sad......... :oops:

I also got the Lidl leaflet today, it lists Maxwell 28 highland single malt and it is £29.99 a bottle.
The leaflet goes on to say:

"This fine single malt has lain untouched in oak casks for 28 years to produce an outstanding whisky with a soft, sweet taste with a subtle kick of spice and citrus in its long lingering finish."

The name Maxwell seemed familiar to me so i did a bit of probing and there is a Willian Maxwell blend which was named after William Maxwell & Co. Ltd. an old established Liverpool firm of whisky blenders and a subsisidiary of Peter J Russell & Co. The Peter J Russell Co also own Ian Macleod Distillers, Glengoyne Distillery, Langs Brothers Distillery. So my guess is it was bottled by Ian Macleod distillers who in my experience turns out quality whisky.

It sounds like it might be worth a try........if I wasn't well stocked on all the Glenfiddich range and a smooth bottle of Glenmorangie........I would have done. :(

I think I might drop a hint to the kids......... :D

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry Hobs couldnt remember the name(senior moment or two),but Ken came up with the goods,if any one would like to buy some I will pm the address so you can send a large sample :lol:
CAROL

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Carol.

Correct me if I am wrong........isn't the name of this thread :

Moves to cut Tobacco and Alcohol consumption

I think somehow we are all guilty of going a little off Topic.......... :twisted:

I suppose it's the thought that counts.......... :wink:

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think the government should listen to David Nutt more. And any move to cut the consumption of alcohol and tobacco is good, so what if people can't afford to drink as much? They don't need to, ever. Muslims don't drop down dead from lack of alcohol, so I don't think anyone else would either.