Sore Throat Raising Sugars.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have had a sore throat since Tuesday and lost my voice for a few days. It’s the first illness I’ve had since my Type 2 diagnosis so I was expecting my blood sugars to rise as I’ve read that infection can do this. However the strange thing is it’s only my 2 hour post meal readings! I’m usually in the fives before and after, but since being ill my post meal readings are in the 6s :banghead: but pre meal have stayed in the 5s. Has anyone else found this?

Davie_sett

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I know this might not be allot of help but a few years ago i got a really bad case of flue and my insulin basically stopped working my blood was in the 20s most of the time for about a week its probably a bit different because I am type 1 but i was giving myself anoth insulin that on a normal day would make me pass out or at least have a really bad hypo.
luckily that only happend once i think its was swine flue it was around that time about 8 years ago i think. I dont think a sore throat would really affect my blood sugar unless it made me less active then i would notice a difference

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know this might not be allot of help but a few years ago i got a really bad case of flue and my insulin basically stopped working my blood was in the 20s most of the time for about a week its probably a bit different because I am type 1 but i was giving myself anoth insulin that on a normal day would make me pass out or at least have a really bad hypo.
luckily that only happend once i think its was swine flue it was around that time about 8 years ago i think. I dont think a sore throat would really affect my blood sugar unless it made me less active then i would notice a difference
Oh I had swine flu in the out break, very nasty it was :grumpy:

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
When you've got an infection, your defence mechanisms get to work to fend it off. Those mechanisms are your "army" which is going into fight, and, like any army, they need to be fed to keep them going. They feed on glucose, so it's not surprising levels are higher.

I love this photo of a macrophage attacking some enemies, arms spread wide, coming to get ya!

250px-Macrophage.jpg

Reactions: lindijanice

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When you've got an infection, your defence mechanisms get to work to fend it off. Those mechanisms are your "army" which is going into fight, and, like any army, they need to be fed to keep them going. They feed on glucose, so it's not surprising levels are higher.

I love this photo of a macrophage attacking some enemies, arms spread wide, coming to get ya!

View attachment 24631
Thanks for the info, makes perfect sense. I hope my army wins the battle soon!