Huge night time spike

Janine p

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This always happens to me and it’s so frustrating! If I eat something carby in the eve at say 8pm and go to bed at midnight with a big of 7 I’ll wake in the night and it can be 17? I’ve done numerous over night basal testing and it’s stable? I know how to carb count and also it’s 4 hours after I’ve eaten the carbs anyway, do I need to extend the bonus do you think?

Reactions: mytype1.life

Patriot1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all,

Can anyone shed some light!? Very recently (last couple of months) I've been having huge night time spikes if I eat any sort of carbohydrate around 2-4 hours before bed. I carb count so I eat carbs in my diet. This has never been an issue for me, but it's driving me insane now and I can't figure out why this is happening.

For example - my BS before bed could be something like 6.5. Ill then wake in the night to a BS of 12 or 13, give myself 3 units of quick acting and then wake up an hour or so later with a BS of 18. This same thing happens every single time and I can't understand why, especially if I'm giving a correction dose.

I've attached a photo to show you what I mean.

In the photo you can see my current BS. At about 2am I have a correction but still it rises and it does this every time!!!!!!

Thanks all

960f8dc0059cfd5654d3ed0dd9f5303a.jpg
Sorry if it’s too late but I never comment on these so I thought I’d give it a go.
It looks like your bs has dropped in the night so your liver has released some glucose to counteract the drop, thus shooting you sky high! This was happening to me as I’m very active.
Have you tried to leave it to see if your body re-absorbs the glucose?, it does take time but apparently does happen..!!

Patriot1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
This always happens to me and it’s so frustrating! If I eat something carby in the eve at say 8pm and go to bed at midnight with a big of 7 I’ll wake in the night and it can be 17? I’ve done numerous over night basal testing and it’s stable? I know how to carb count and also it’s 4 hours after I’ve eaten the carbs anyway, do I need to extend the bonus do you think?
Possibly need more basal as it may be running out part way through the night thus shooting you up maybe?

MWheeler

Type of diabetes
Type 1
This was a problem for me for a long time. When I got to the bottom of it, the causes were having too little basal and I also was doing a lot of high intensity training in the evenings (Spin + circuit classes). Anaerobic exercises like these causes a rise in blood glucose also. If you're a gym fiend like me than that may be a factor.

Reactions: mytype1.life

Damtov8

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all,

Can anyone shed some light!? Very recently (last couple of months) I've been having huge night time spikes if I eat any sort of carbohydrate around 2-4 hours before bed. I carb count so I eat carbs in my diet. This has never been an issue for me, but it's driving me insane now and I can't figure out why this is happening.

For example - my BS before bed could be something like 6.5. Ill then wake in the night to a BS of 12 or 13, give myself 3 units of quick acting and then wake up an hour or so later with a BS of 18. This same thing happens every single time and I can't understand why, especially if I'm giving a correction dose.

I've attached a photo to show you what I mean.

In the photo you can see my current BS. At about 2am I have a correction but still it rises and it does this every time!!!!!!

Thanks all

960f8dc0059cfd5654d3ed0dd9f5303a.jpg
Ditch the carbs. Go below 30 g of carbs a day otherwise you will start to develop serious problems pretty soon.

number_3

Type of diabetes
Type 1
To me your drop and that correction is too quick and may due to its speed be getting your body into rebound mode.....the first example shows that you went hypo.... if you didnt treat that, then its rebound with your liver kicking in..

To basal test for evening/night and I would suggest you do this.. no food after 3pm.... and do for a couple nights..

My basals always change after clocks go forward/back.

I had the same experience

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Most likely lack of fat but sugary sauces or sweet can cause high then low but if too much fat in the evening meal that delayed carb spike can occur through the night. Especially on a night where digestion slows down naturally.
Carbs and fat together give me delayed spikes on an evening so I have a protein based meal rather than a carb based one. I also have to make sure some carb is in there or protein gets converted to a high BG instead. The life on insulin therapy! Humf!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Sounds like fiasp is getting processed very quickly and then out of your system, far quicker than say novarapid would?