help for my 4 yr old with the injections???

serankine

My daughter was diagnossed with type 1 diabetes on 23rd November she is 4 years old. I am really struggling toget her to stay still while i do the finger prick and her insulin. She keeps runing away and moving. Has anyone got any help to try toget her to stay calm. Its all so new if anyone could help i would really appreciate it. Shes starting back at school tuesday

TheSparkyPony

If you look on the JDRF website, am sure there are resources for kids that include a bear you can inject. If I remember I'll find the link in the morning!
Maybe if you 'inject' the bear and explain how good he is etc etc it might give her a bit of confidence?

Good luck, must be tough for her at that age, I know I found it hard when I was diagnosed at 7 but at least I could communicate and understand fully! xxx

ETA - Found link! http://www.jdrf.org.uk/page.asp?section ... tle=KIDSAC

That website was a big help to my parents when I was younger, worth a look around :)

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
Sorry to hear of your recent diagnosis. It is such an overwhelming time getting used to the testing, injections, diet and exercise planning.

I can't help with techniques for testing as Khaleb was so young diagnosed that he doesn't know any other life. He's not about to freely let me give him an injection but I do find the best way for us is to have him draped over my lap. I can reach his butt, hip fat, front of his thigh, and tummy all from this position without having to unduly restrain him. I can put something good to play with in front of his face and hands to keep him busy and can keep the area I need still. I find I can scratch Khaleb with the needle or have the pen needle come out during the injection if he isn't held still. I've also managed to stick the needle in my hand etc...

How are you doing the injections now?

Anyway, the parents here are always happy to offer their experience. I hope you have some help organising school as some training will be needed and you'll need to provide information about your routine and hypo treatment options etc...

All the best, Jen

leggott

Sorry to hear about your little girl. My son was also diagnosed at the age of 4 and a day later my daughter who was 6 at the time was also diagnosed. At the start they did resist the finger pricks and injections and would run away. It took a few weeks and by that time they were more willing. I think they just realised that it had to be done and they said it didn't really hurt them. I let them stick the needle in me and I would also do blood checks too. You might find that letting her do it on a teddy might help.

If you don't already it might be worth trying the 'Accu Chek Multi Clix' device. We have found this to be the least painful and we even check my childrens blood through the night without waking them. It might also be worth trying some sort of reward chart after each blood check and injection.

It is very difficult at the start, but I promise you that things will get easier. Try and remain as calm as you can, although I fully appreciate how difficult that can be when you yourself are feeling extremely emtional and worried.

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm sorry about your daughter's diagnosis. I can understand how your world must be turned upside down right now. I think you've been given some good advice already and agree with Leggott's advice about perhaps starting a reward chart. Your daughter will be experiencing a lot of difficult emotions and probably finding the injecting and finger testing difficult to cope with. Try to be as understanding as possible (not easy when you're stressed yourself) and take every opportunity to shower her with love and cuddles. It does get easier with time, her fingers will toughen up and she will get used to the injections, it all just takes some time.

serankine

Thank you for all your advice we have got a reward chart which came with the starter pack, and using that as much as we can. Have also pricked my self today by accident!! and a have had 2 finger pricks and my husband has had 1.
Thank you so much for your help. Its nice chatting to people who can help and who has been through this.
Sarah

Mini-Mimi

sorry to hear of another little child with diabetes :(
my daughter is 3 (4 in jan) and was diagnosed with T1 last month, she would struggle with me at 1st but now accepts that she has to have it done an lets me do it with out a fuss, i tend to put her on my lap, facing me, she wraps her arms around my neck and gives me a "sticky cuddle"- she calls the injections "stickys", i can then inject into her bum, (she's yet to let me inject anywhere else, but i'm confident she will soon), we then have a few moments having a big hug and i praise her.
like you i am new to all this and was a right state at the start but 4 weeks on and it's just the norm now, kids are so so so strong and resiliant, i am sure your daughter will soon proove this to you too.
stay strong xxx

jacquiel

sorry as well to hear about your daughter...

Just wanted to let you and any other people know about a bear that helped my little girl when she was around that age:

http://www.jdrf.org.uk/page.asp?section ... 0400030001

follow this link (or if it doesnt work google 'rufus and ruby diabetes' on the JDRF web site you can get a Free 'kidsack' which is available for all newly diagnosed type one children - choose a girl or boy teddy (rufus or ruby) they have areas for the child to inject the bear etc, and are lovely bears anyway. It helped my little girl x

This is what it says on the website:
KIDSAC is a support and educational pack for families living with a new diagnosis of type 1 diabetes.

To order your free pack call us on 020 7713 2030 or order online here.

The pack contains Rufus – the bear with type 1 diabetes. Rufus has special felt patches on his test and injection sites. He has been a great friend to thousands of children with type 1 diabetes over the years.

As well as Rufus, your KIDSAC will contain:

a handy type 1 reference folder to keep all the information and bits of paper that tend to come with a new diagnosis a family focused educational CD ROM JDRF information leaflets about living with type 1 diabetes a handy pocket guide to give to friends and family (more copies available on request) Plus a free year’s subscription to our magazine.

Families and health care professionals can order KIDSAC direct from JDRF on 020 7713 2030, using our online form.

"Charlie is absolutely thrilled to bits with Rufus and has been hugging him all evening. Rufus had to sit at the table while we had tea, played Star Wars on the PS2, and also had his bedtime injection just before Charlie’s. I would recommend Rufus Bear to anyone with a younger child!"
Karen Spooner, mum of Charlie, diagnosed age three

See what other people think about KIDSAC.

Best wishes,
Jacquie

hopeydopey

hi, my son has only just recently been diaginos with type 1 well its 2 months 2day, he is on 4 injections a day and him to was jumping around and crying about having his finger pick and injection done at the end of the day they are only young my son is five and i was finding it hard but i found that i went and got him a Star Chart and everytime he had his injection i would give him a star and i told him everytime he got 10 stars i would take him and buy a little presents only a couple of pounds pound shop was good lol and then he would have it done now 2 months down the line he does his blood sugar test on his own and gets the insulin ready for me to give him, be patient with her she will get there its alot for them to get used to, i found it hard myself

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
Hi HopeyDopey and welcome. How old is your child? You sound like you've accepted diabetes really well and I'm sure your positive attitude is what is also helping to make your son adjust more easily.

serankine

Thanks for all your advice. Leah is now helping me get the injections ready and the finger test. But still jumpy when it comes to doing it. But at least it is a step forward. We now have the Rufus bear. He is great she likes to inject him (poor bear he has had lots of injections). She now tells everyone about diabetes. She is back at school and coping well im sure we will get there i forget it has only been a week and a half since we come out of hospital, and shes only 4!!
Thanks for all your help.
:p

hopeydopey

hi jen&keleb my son charlie is 5 yeah i have because at the begining he was in hospital as his blood sugars was 31.5 so he had to go into hospital to get them down so had to be strong for him really. I still find it hard because sometimes he doesnt want his injection or he cries and say why am i the only one in our family with diabetes i have 3 children and sometimes i think he finds it hard.

serankine

Leah was admitted into hospital, we only went to the doctors on friday 19th November they started her on insulin then Saturday they took her off it and said it wasnt diabetes was in and out of hospital till the tuesday when they finally confirmed she had type 1 diabetes. But today she has sone her finger prick all by herself we are still struggling with the insulin. But it has only been 2 weeks and 2 days!! She is so proud of herself and we are too!!

leggott

that's great news - how proud you must be. By the sound of things I'm sure it won't be long before it becomes a little easier with the Injections.